Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent several hours today sorting books and then putting them on the school library shelves. I'll need some Ibuprofen later for all the bending over I did. I think I'm helping son-in-law pressure clean his driveway tomorrow.

Mikey-:D I would of preferred scale chain but I've never been able to make it look right.

Greg- Nice looking layout shot.

Willie- I really like the bookstore.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy everyone!

Ray, Flip - Thanks for the likes on my last post.

Greg - another great layout photo!

Max - congratulations on your retirement. Mine's "just around the corner" - I just haven't identified which corner

Thanks for the congratulations, Johnny. I went around a few corners, also. Age 62 passed, age 65 and 66 passed, then I decided enough is enough and put in for my retirement. I couldn't be happier. It's layout time!

Jim - Congratulations on the retirement. One thing that I learned was after an initial spurt of activity in the train shed, if I spent eight hours a day out there, it just became another job!

Thanks for the congratulations, Willie. As usual, I like your book store & accessories.
I'm planning on my "spurt of activity" lasting well into spring. With 3 or 4 years of layout work left to do,
I'm sure that I will slow down some and enjoy the summer.

Break time over . . . back to the layout :)

Everyone have a good day!

Back again. I suffered a mild case of food poisoning tuesday night. Landed me in ER for severe dehydration Wednesday. Been out of work for the past 3 days. That's gonna hit my wallet hard. It makes it worse that I ate at a place for the first time ever. Well I suppose it was the first time and the last time for that. Finally able to eat something substantial today. I hope everyone is doing well. Love everyone's photos. I'll try to stop by again soon.

Got the layout all set up.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 141
Tom- It Looks like your layout has plenty of room for operations.
I really like the red level in the last photo. It shows you are serious about having a well running layout.
Curt- One of the hardest things with the flatcar loads is finding proportional looking materials for bindings and bracing items.
And I have seen some very unusual materials used on prototypical flatcar loads and some hold downs than look too skimpy to hold anything in place.
Wishing all a very pleasant weekend.

Tom- It Looks like your layout has plenty of room for operations.
I really like the red level in the last photo. It shows you are serious about having a well running layout.
Curt- One of the hardest things with the flatcar loads is finding proportional looking materials for bindings and bracing items.
And I have seen some very unusual materials used on prototypical flatcar loads and some hold downs than look too skimpy to hold anything in place.
Wishing all a very pleasant weekend.
That floor in that place is not level at all. The adjustment levelers on the bottom can very a lot from one side to the other. It's one of our largest layouts we put in for that show. Some long trains will be running there this weekend.

Good evening y'all.

Curt: I like the loaded flat.
Tom: Y'all have quite a display layout assembled there.
Jim: Congratulations on your Retirement.

Spent much of the day out of the house, accompanying the wife to the Rheumatologist appointment, then shopping for all the components of our Thanksgiving Day dinner. I did find time to work on several segments of the model railroad.

Yesterday,I did some more road building, a final fit before gluing the sub road down.
Fire Station # 1 11-21-2019.jpg

I'm seriously considering re-configuring the engine room door to open position, so the apron is clear, but the engine is visible inside the station.

Have a great evening.

Boris

Good morning. It's cloudy and 47. I'm taking the truck in again for another attempt to locate and stop an engine vibration.
Joe, depending on how elaborate you want to get with the fire house, you could leave the truck outside, and have a couple of figures washing it.

Wow..quiet for a Saturday.

Getting the servers updated. It's a pain as Microsoft seems to have 4 rounds of updates. In some cases 1 has to be run and the server rebooted before telling me about another...PITA.

I did get a little train time in yesterday. I got the wires through the table and the holes in the supports to get the wiring around under the table. I managed to get the switch engines permanently supported by getting the cork underneath them glued as well. Then I popped my knee from being under the table and spent the rest of the day icing down the bad knee.

It will be nice enough to get the smoker going tomorrow.

Maybe a few more minutes of train time before work on Monday. We have a school program to attend about 60 miles away Monday night.

Good Morning All. 34° and mostly cloudy but breaking up. We're done with this cooler weather and the forecast is for pleasant temperatures for the next eight days, albeit with light intermittent rain from Wednesday through Saturday.

Let's see Flo; let's make it just a simple sausage and two over easy eggs this morning.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the bookstore/table; Chet, Chad, Jerome, Phil, Mikey, Curt, Jim, Justin, Tom, Patrick.

Bad news out in the train shed yesterday. Either I forgot to turn on one of the two heaters or a short power outage flipped it off overnight. While 56° is tolerable, it is not short sleeve tolerable and precluded modeling; which I do not attempt in long sleeves. Ended up only running trains yesterday, which is OK but not what I intended. Therefore no progress pictures. But I will make up for it with pictures taken about 4.1/2 years ago of a still unseen and undeveloped area of the layout.
04-02-15 003.JPG

04-02-15 005.JPG

04-02-15 006.JPG

The area is currently just a rough set up of what I intend to do, and has a few more structures (and tools, supplies etc) scattered about. Some of the figures are parts of Woodland Scenics sets. I'll get to this area sometime in 2022.
Tom - Enjoy the show and post more pictures. Your group has one excellent looking set-up.
Johnny -
Mine's "just around the corner" - I just haven't identified which corner
Why not the next one?
Hughie -
Difinitely sign pollution, but then again it is New York.
Surprisingly there's no graffiti!
Mikey - You don't need my permission to add a bookstore to your layout. The more that I look at that table, the more that I like it; all scratchbuilt of course. It came out really well.
Justin - Sorry to read about your food poisoning woes. I guess no sick days left?
Joe - I have to agree with you on the open door.

Everybody (not many here today) have a great day.

Just wanted to check in. Been very busy with my training/travel schedule at work.

Its 28 degrees and I'm in the woods this weekend and week for the 9 day gun deer hunt. I'll "attempt" to catch up.

Good Morning Everyone.....partly sunny and so far cool.

Looked the uncoupling magnet location situation in the Pine River Yard and I still have so many questions about their locations for Engineers' use. The under track magnet locations are marked with a flowering, scenic plant. First, I have to locate the under-track magnets since they are under the ballast and I've forgotten where they are located. Then do some switching and determine if the locations make sense. The Pine River Yard is too far from arm's reach to do manual uncoupling.

How do you handle Kadee uncoupling magnet locations?

Justin: After a bout of food poisoning, I drank several small glasses of cold Jagermister (equal to perhaps six shots) and within several hours felt much better.

Tom: Nice looking modular layout and looks like it's ready for some serious train operations. There's a lot of work in those mods. How long is your set up time?

That's all for now..............

Greg

##########################

Howdy everyone!

Phil - thanks for liking my post.
Justin - hope your back to normal after the food poisoning.
Tom - I really like the show layout photos.
Joe - thanks for the congrats. I like your idea of opening the fire station door, whether you have the truck inside or out.
Patrick - thanks for the post like. I've been under my layout the last few days and I'm just sore, but nothing like your knee. Hope your doing better.

I have about an hour of yard work this afternoon, then I'll get to the layout. I re-curved a 7-foot section that was giving me a slight derail problem. I hope to have the main up and running tonight or tomorrow.
There's a train show, tomorrow . . . so I might have to make an appearance. ;):)

Everyone have a nice day!

1973 Milwaukee Road, St. Regis, Montana
X2dIkAH.jpg

max: Better as I've not been on it. Walking actually makes it feel better, but with the replacement, moving always makes it feel better.

I'm not supposed to be on it anyway, but I don't always do what I'm supposed to. :rolleyes:

Finally got the servers done, 2 hours later than usual.

Have a good weekend all.

That floor in that place is not level at all. The adjustment levelers on the bottom can very a lot from one side to the other. It's one of our largest layouts we put in for that show. Some long trains will be running there this weekend.
Jim-I know exactly what you are talking about.. We set up in an armory for one show that had a 1" height difference in the 20 feet across the front of the layout. Plus humidity can make a big difference in fit between modules. Oh the things we do to entertain the public.
Willie-I agree, the book table turned out beautifully well. Thanks for letting me borrow your ideas.
Your use of figures has made your scenes so interesting and realistic. Do you paint your figures specifically for a scene?

Last edited:
Joe, depending on how elaborate you want to get with the fire house, you could leave the truck outside, and have a couple of figures washing it.

Good suggestion, Terry.

Jim & Willie: Chances are that I remove the door. I like the idea of the engine just inside the door.

Thanks to everyone who commented or liked the fire station.

Willie: Nice work. The Woodland structures and plastic people show a lot of promise.

Jim: Nice MILW photo.

Joe

Spent the last couple of days in the basement, actually working on my layout (gasp!). This is where I'm at right now (remote security cam image):

2019y11M23d14h23m20s.jpg

This is the basic final form, although I can see a couple of areas where some tinkering is necessary, especially in the freight yard (right and center). On the left is the locomotive yard, for locos that are too long for the turntable. At the upper left, I had the idea of using a double crossover to the 2nd table. Last night, as I was trying to get to sleep, the thought struck me that the inner loop of the 2nd table (where you now see piles of stuff) could go elevated and circle back over the 1st table. The 2nd table is where I'll be installing most of the layout's scenery (including Area 51, something I'mreally looking forward to).

I'm having to buy some additional pieces of straight track, but otherwise I'm astonished at how much I've over-purchased. I think I'll be renting a table at a couple of train shows to sell off some of the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back