Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Took the day off from he chore list and finished putting a tractor load on the Erie flatcar. I think I'll be "volunteering" at the school tomorrow (my wife said so, it must be true). My wife got a flat tire in a construction zone this morning (not related) but 2 very nice construction workers changed her tire for her.:)

Joe- Nice 1:1, layout and builders photos. Yes, the plastic people rule the layout.

Tex- That is absolutely true.

Karl- Congratulations.

Chet- Nice layout shots.

Garry- I hate when that happens. Take care of yourself.

Max- Congratulations on your retirement. Cool overhead shot.

One of the H21a cars that I weathered.

20191121_121458-2016x1512.jpg

The tractor load.

20191121_133600-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

GREG- That looks like Jamaica Ave. and about 168th st. There were two movie houses, one on each side of the ave.
Anyone remember the BORDENS MILK FACTORY -about 178th and Jamaica ave.
What was the P.S. number of the school 'tween Jamaica ave and Hillside Blvd about 172 st- and the one off Jamaica ave and 189th ? Or the one in KEW GARDENS HILLS one street up from the LIRR station.
One of them was P.S.95 I also went to P.S. 131 and later to FOREST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL
Phil

Greg - Good luck with the MMR quest. I know that you have been working on it for some time mow.

Willie: Thanks for your well wishes on my goal towards a earning a MMR. Even as I am in the early process of determining what I need to complete to qualify for the MMR or finding out what are the NMRA modeling threshold standards...the research so far has been rewarding and I'm learning a lot more about model railroading than what I knew prior to starting this endeavor.

Some one once said "That if you want to learn about something, then write a book about the subject." I found out during my working life that when I was required to author a memo on Facility Operating Procedures or write an Employee Training Manual, I realized that by doing the extra research on the subject I increased my knowledge and understanding of that subject.

The quest for a MMR will be rewarding be it successful or not. Already I've found areas of my layout which require improvement or where there could been a better job of layout design or discovered areas of model railroading that I haven't yet explored.

The process will not be quick nor a easy one. My first stepping stone is the Golden Spike Award. Then proceed onward towards being a better model railroader.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
Morning Flo black coffee straight up!

Well one more day and I am off until Dec 1st!

I will be stopping in Asheville NC then over to Etowah NC and staying there with one of my buddies for Turkey day. I think we are going to check out this depot in Hendersonville, NC on Wednesday.... https://www.avmrc.com/

Should be a good time!

I hope every one has a good & safe Thanksgiving holiday next week with family and friends.

Gotta get back to work and finish up here so I can get outta Dodge tomorrow! :)

James
Safe trip

Off tomorrow (Friday) so I can come in on Saturday and upgrade the servers. I exchange my short Friday for Saturday to reduce any overtime. If the precipitation holds off, I have 2 turkey breast sections I need to get in the electric smoker. If we get any of the rain\snow or mix and the wind stays out of the north, I can't run the electric smoker. The cold doesn't seem to bother it. Otherwise, it is supposed to be dry over the remaining part of the weekend I get to keep. Just tossing whether I use apple or hickory chips. I did one when I first got the smoker with cherry and I did finally find the alder wood chips when I happened into Cabella's a couple of weeks ago.

Either way I should get some train time tomorrow as I still have to remote in to run a program update against the accounting system. The computer is next to the layout in the basement.

A new photo of the Livingston helpers, pushing up Bozeman Pass. Three of the #4300 series SD70ACe's, possibly one from the #4400's, although it could be #4312, which is the only one from the 4300's that had the meatball logo from new.. The interesting one is #290, an SDP40-2XR, originally GN #321, passing through BN #9851/6395, MRL #6395. Has a bit of a chequered history. Purchased from BN after wreck damage in Helena Jct. It rolled away Nth bound from an MRL crew who tried to chase it down, caught up to it when it was rolling back at them. Rebuilt to SD40-2XR standards plus rear ditch lights for work train use. 12th unit to be repainted into the latest scheme in 2011.
1574374029849.png

Footnote: There are 17 Locos from the SD40 model still on roster. #250, which is a genuine SD40-2, but refitted with a GP40-2 superstructure, purchased and rebuilt after a roll over. The #290 is the last # in the series, with a gap from #265 SD40-2XR. All the others from #251 are similar to #265.

Last edited:
Howdy!

Thanks to all who liked my last post!

James, Greg, Curt - Thank You for the retirement congratulations!

I worked on the layout for about 5 hours today and got a lot done . . . but it wouldn't make a dent on the side of an aircraft carrier. I might have over-done it as I crawled out from under after doing some wiring and standing on the concrete floor for that long. I took a break and decided that it might be enough for today.

I realized how much I missed working on the layout and running the trains! I'm still sore, but the fun factor outweighs it by a ton!

I'll be back . . .

Have a good day!

Jim

Curt- I do not think you will be able to get those tractors off the flatcar when they arrive at their destination.
They are VERY secure!
The rain is holding off until tomorrow, so I went back to the lake today and finished painting all the raw wood on the side porch cover.
Now, all that is left is the cover for the front porch stairs, which should only take a couple hours.
Maybe I can get back to my Model Power market kit tomorrow.
I sure am enjoying all the various pictures. Thanks to all!

Johnnie- There will be no purchases at this train show. It is a children's museum model train display that run runs from Nov 23rd through Jan 5th.
The museum staff runs the layouts during the week and the Wrecking Crew has two members on duty for two shifts each Saturday and Sunday.
We do maintenance on the layouts and interact with the visitors. Love those kids and their mothers!
No trains today, I was painting the prototypical porch at our lake lot. It is just like painting a model structure, except with a 4" brush and about 10 times longer time. FYI, in case you care.
Mikey - Understood. Those layouts tend to draw a lot of folks, young and old. Have fun!

Good morning everyone. 40 and rainy out there.

Patrick, Flip, Max, and anyone I missed - thanks for the likes and comments.
Max - congratulations on your retirement. Mine's "just around the corner" - I just haven't identified which corner ;)
Chet - nice photos from the archives. Those long consists look nice - I can't run anything that long - maybe 15-18 cars is my limit, otherwise the engine's on one side of the layout and the caboose is nearly on the other side:p
Garry - continued prayers for your family health situations

Again not much to report. Got a few more minor details done on the Outpost structure - window "glass" in the last few windows, etc. Hopefully this weekend will see that building really take shape.

I do plan to take advantage of the warm weather tomorrow and put up outdoor Christmas decorations. I'm amazed at how many local residences are decorated for the season already - like shopping, it seems to get earlier each year. Probably won't turn our lights on until after Thanksgiving, but at least the work will be done in comparatively warm weather.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 43° with light intermittent rain, less than .2" in the last 24 hours. Too dark to get a more accurate read. A day and a half of this stuff and then back to the 70's by late weekend. Mid-60's and showers for Thanksgiving Day. Smaller turkey day celebration than usual for our family with only 21 adults and 11 children. The other 16 adults and god knows how many kids will be elsewhere. It is inevitable that is happening since there are many in-laws to share with now.

Good morning Flo. Breakfast burritos with plenty of salsa for me this morning. Sausage, egg, cheese and hash-browns should hit the spot today.

Out in the train shed, I looked at Buck's Book Shop.
11-22-19 001.JPG

Something was missing. Took a few minutes and then I realized what it was. I spent the next few hours making this.
11-22-19 002.JPG

Now it has a home.
11-22-19 003.JPG

Jim - Congratulations on the retirement. One thing that I learned was after an initial spurt of activity in the train shed, if I spent eight hours a day out there, it just became another job!
James - Have a good trip and a safe one.
Phil - Yes indeed, PS-95 was around Jamaica and 172nd st., a bit closer to Hillside. A bit further north was PS-131 on the south side of Grand Central Parkway and my father's alma mater which was St John's University. Don't know about the other two.
Greg - I hear you about writing training and operating manuals. Did many during my career.

OK, we should all know what happened on this day in 1963. I felt bad for years after because it happened in the city that I lived in. I was in 6th grade at the time.
Otherwise everybody have a great day.

Good morning all. Looks like it going to be a work on the layout kinda day, rainy. They are predicting a 20 -25 degree drop this afternoon. Maybe I can make a little progress on some of the projects that remain.

Good Morning Everyone.....partly sunny this morning and the rush of deer hunting will start today will the group heading to their favorite hunting locations. I miss the spirit of the hunting camp and we in high school and college I hunted the entire nine days with the owner of the company that I worked for along with the owner's son and several of their friends. It was a bonding experience for me and no longer a boss/employee relationship, but a bunch of hunters spending time together in the North Woods.

Worked on a control panel to properly aline mini toggle switches for a group of Tortoise switch machines in Pine Yard. Some how one or two switches turned and no longer reflected the open or closed positions of the turnouts. This meant the removal of the panel form the layout's fascia panel.

I realized that spotting the Kadee uncoupler locations maybe be difficult in the yard and I'm working on a solution. A building or two blocks an engineer's view of the magnets or the vegetation that marks the center of the track uncouplers.

Off to a MD appointment and then lunch with my wife Cathy. Just maybe an hour or two in the layout room when we return...?

Later...

Greg

#######################

ALCO Pulling Ore Train.JPG
An Milwaukee ALCO pulls a ore train pass Rocky Junction headed east on the CM&NR. The water tower in the background will soon have a warning beacon installed at the top of the tower's cone.-Greg

Willie- It is amazing how much your book table adds to the book shop scene.
With your permission, I plan to add a book shop and outside book table to my layout.
Without your permission, I'll make it a used book store with a table of books outside.
(Completely different scene.)
Alan- I am gaining on you in my kit building race. I imagine you have not started yet and could care less
I started putting up the walls of my market kit this morning. I am using tacky glue instead of Testor's liquid glue due to the smell. I had a couple rubber bands holding walls in place until the glue dries. my nosy cat jumped up on the chair across from me and stuck his nose above the table edge to see what I was doing. I adjusted one wall more securely in place and a band slipped off hitting the cat. The cat jumped off the chair and I heard the pitter-patter of little feet retreating to the opposite corner of the house.
Pure accident, but amusing to me. The cat still is avoiding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back