Pre-weathered Kato GP 35 What do I do with it now

Cleaned up quite nicely, the roof, trucks and fuel tank I had to paint tho'

1707496966684.jpeg

1707497001644.jpeg

If anyone has (and willing to part with), or knows where I can get a set of end rails for this please let me know, the ones I have are in pieces.

Unfortunately, the walkways were impossible to clean off without removing the original colour.

1707497777455.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 181020
View attachment 181021

If anyone has (and willing to part with), or knows where I can get a set of end rails for this please let me know, the ones I have a in pieces.
Chris- That cleaned up very well! Being its a Kato, it should run like a dream.

Lots of possibilities with this one!

View attachment 181020

View attachment 181021

If anyone has (and willing to part with), or knows where I can get a set of end rails for this please let me know, the ones I have are in pieces.

Unfortunately, the walkways were impossible to clean off without removing the original colour.

View attachment 181023

Right, the decoder is in, and LEDs are working, still have to work out how to fasten them and then I can shorten the leads, this is where a decoder buddy would have been handy, but it's too short to fit.

1707518865719.jpeg

Hows this for a Leasing company ?

1707518920582.jpeg

It's interesting the Ebay sale I posted a link to has morphed into just the trucks. When I found and posted it, it included the handrails...
Maybe he sold them separately, it was just the trucks when I looked.
There's no more Kato handrails, do you think Athearns would work ?

I'm pretty sure U-Haul never rented locomotives, but it would sure be a conversation starter.
BTW, U-Haul "did" rent out travel trailers (caravans) for a time.
I don't know, it was just some decals I already had made up for some containers but never used.

Maybe he sold them separately, it was just the trucks when I looked.
There's no more Kato handrails, do you think Athearns would work ?
Probably the plastic ones would work. You may need to modify their mounting locations slightly, but it's better than hand-making them.
You said you needed the end ones, are they the stepped ones at the front sides, or the ones that go on the ends of the engine? If it's the latter, many Kato handrail kits would include them.

Probably the plastic ones would work. You may need to modify their mounting locations slightly, but it's better than hand-making them.
You said you needed the end ones, are they the stepped ones at the front sides, or the ones that go on the ends of the engine? If it's the latter, many Kato handrail kits would include them.
The ones that go across the engine, above the couplings are the ones that are broken.

1707587115113.jpeg

I think these would fit, I'd need to modify the platform to take the pins.

Last edited:
Sounds like an opportunity to rust them up really good!

(Looks like I’m a couple of days behind the curve.)
Being in the transport business my entire adult life, "rust buckets" just scream Danger to me, lack of maintenance, whether intended or not creeps in, no company responsibility, if they don't care about their vehicles, guaranteed they care even less about their employees and as a leasing company just simply bad advertising, why do you think rental companies like U-Haul or Avis spend so much on the upkeep and cleaning of their vehicles.

Last edited:
Being in the transport business my entire adult life, "rust buckets" just scream Danger to me, lack of maintenance, whether intended or not creeps in, no company responsibility, if they don't car about their vehicles, guaranteed they care even less about their employees and as a leasing company just simply bad advertising, why do you think rental companies like U-Haul or Avis spend so much on the upkeep and cleaning of their vehicles.
This could have these decals made up. 🤣

1707676642206.png

Back