Pre-weathered Kato GP 35 What do I do with it now

Smudge617

As I said in another thread, I've go this loco with TBH, an awful weathering job, it's currently in an IPA bath to try and remove as much as I can and find out a couple of things.

Which RR is this (I think Burlington)
How much of the original is left ie. cab No.

Then I can see what I can do with it, return it to its original or do a complete re-paint in either Burlington livery or something else, thought anyone ?

1707342537146.jpeg

1707342562319.jpeg

1707342595020.jpeg

1707342623947.jpeg

Chris, was this the gift from your sister? If so strip it and paint it. If the paint is stubborn use a toothbrush and scrub the paint off while still in the IPA bath. Hope you are using 91% or 99% IPA. 70% works but takes longer. This could be your first rust bucket

Chris, was this the gift from your sister? If so strip it and paint it. If the paint is stubborn use a toothbrush and scrub the paint off while still in the IPA bath. Hope you are using 91% or 99% IPA. 70% works but takes longer. This could be your first rust bucket
Yes Tom, this is the one my sister sent me, it's sitting in a bath of 99%IPA, and it seems to be working, definitely Burlington RR. I'll take some foto's in the morning if I remember before work.

Looking better already Smudge!
I have four 35’s in the to-go pile, that road number included.
That road number is now more or less gone now after scrubbing off the black paint.
It looks like it can be rinsed off and a lease company's initials applied. Reassemble, and operate it.
I like this answer!!!!
Make it a helm leasing unit since the road name is gone?

I like this idea, I'm going to leave them another 24 hours, by then hopefully, the walkway will come clean too
Can I get away with simply using a black square on the side with a leasing company's initials and leave the rest as is ?

As you can see, a great improvement over this morning, but cleaning the handrails is going to be a pain, I don't want to break them, maybe I should look at obtaining a new set.

The walkway is not coming clean as you can see, I'll probably just re-paint it.

1707422418804.jpeg

After 30 mins of scrubbing this paint with 99% IPA, it just wont shift, so I'll re-paint this by hand I think.

1707422555087.jpeg

I didn't see this last night, but I don't think I have Zinc Rot, have I ?

1707422636670.jpeg

Last edited:
SMUDGE - My go too has always been Easy Off Oven cleaner applied to a dry shell.

Although I don't -- gloves and a tooth brush are advised!

Back