New "old guy"

Chesterfield huh? It sure has changed since they put in the new bridge over the Missouri and Highway 40 became Interstate 64. They had just built Chesterfield Mall way out in the boonies when I left. ... I used to frequent Des Peres Hobbies over near I270 & Manchester road. Pretty certain they have closed now. I think Train Town is still there but in a different location. When I moved to St. Louis in the 79, there were about 30 hobby stores in the area. When I left it was down to 8 I believe. One of my favorites was way over south in Gravios area and off Gravios Road, I believe it is still open but think they have also moved further west now - Shaefer's Hobby Shop.

Lionel today has made a huge leap into technology, but still lags far behind in terms of realism that HO represents.
I have to disagree a bit there. Don't know if you noticed my Polar Express is the "Scale" version. It is at least equal to some HO brass locos that I have (other than the over size couplers, and wheel flanges). Likewise they now have a "Vision Line" which are exquisite models easily rivaling the HO Broadway Limited steamers (maybe not the BrassHybrids but). Likewise their latest BTO (built to order) E8 units are as detailed as any of my HO Proto, Broadway, and even Rapido models of late.
Loco.jpg
Lionel E8s 2.jpg

Still working on finalizing "things" on my new Toy Trains layout - tracks in place; although working with sectional stuff makes me miss the flexible lengths I got used to with HO. Lionel's Fastrack is inflexible! Oh well, adjustment is all part of the fun!
I use the Atlas Century-21 track. Lots of options, including flex track, but I believe more expensive that Fastrack.

Hi Jaz avalley,

That is quite an Avatar - if I saw that within my local station, I would beat-feet back to my car!

Not wishing to come across as "an authority" with regard to Lionel and what we all prefer to call "Model Trains," there is a distinction.

For me, Lionel has represented Toy Trains since my first set in 1948-49 - Model Trains back then were pretty much as rare as Hen's Teeth insofar as "electric trains" were concerned. Over time, HO emerged as perhaps the most detailed, readily available (in terms of road names, rolling stock, locomotives, etc.) than the competitors. Again, this is purely my own oh-pin-yun based upon decades of being in the hobby.

Lionel today has made a huge leap into technology, but still lags far behind in terms of realism that HO represents. For me, at the stage of life I am in, the size and ease of assembly and operation is paramount. (One day you too will experience the "Golden Years.")

Toy Trains have as much allure and enjoyment as all of the gauges I have had in my train room. But, they are Toys not Models.

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards,

Tom in Missouri
My avatar on the layout, yep and people beating a retreat

Attachments

• IMG_9170.jpeg
    IMG_9170.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9173.jpeg
    IMG_9173.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to the forum. What part of MO do you reside? I am in KY now but was born in St. Louis and lived around the area, the last MO address was Kimmswick, about 30 or so miles south of St. Louis. Always interested where people are and if there might be mutual acquaintances in the areas.
BZ

Please do!
G'day Bruette,

I enjoyed your threads and in particular the Lionel O scale one . . . quite enlightening for me and definitely has caused me to "shift" thoughts regarding Toy Trains and Model Trains; those O-scale beauties are hardly Toys. I will admit to failing to clarify my thinking though - the Toy aspect refers to my experiences with 027 and 036 sets; was not thinking outside of the box I am in. Thanx.

Am awaiting a reply to an Email to the Forum I sent regarding posting of fotos and once my inquiry is addressed, I plan to provide some - ranging from layouts past and present to rail travel adventures.

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

P.S. Any references to Lionel trains as Toys is based solely on my experiences with 027(1948-56) and 036 (present times) sets and in no way should be construed as an indictment of Lionel's O-scale products - those are hardly toys and I apologize to one and all for coming across as authoritative; just my 2-cents. Thanx!

Last edited:
G'day NorthTeasRailroad,

Appreciate the welcome on this Sunday morning in near-mid-continent USA.

Learned a long time ago that this journey above ground is a short one and there are no "do overs," just "do betters."

Definitely agree that our hobby is all about having fun!

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Chesterfield huh? It sure has changed since they put in the new bridge over the Missouri and Highway 40 became Interstate 64. They had just built Chesterfield Mall way out in the boonies when I left. ... I used to frequent Des Peres Hobbies over near I270 & Manchester road. Pretty certain they have closed now. I think Train Town is still there but in a different location. When I moved to St. Louis in the 79, there were about 30 hobby stores in the area. When I left it was down to 8 I believe. One of my favorites was way over south in Gravios area and off Gravios Road, I believe it is still open but think they have also moved further west now - Shaefer's Hobby Shop.

I have to disagree a bit there. Don't know if you noticed my Polar Express is the "Scale" version. It is at least equal to some HO brass locos that I have (other than the over size couplers, and wheel flanges). Likewise they now have a "Vision Line" which are exquisite models easily rivaling the HO Broadway Limited steamers (maybe not the BrassHybrids but). Likewise their latest BTO (built to order) E8 units are as detailed as any of my HO Proto, Broadway, and even Rapido models of late.
View attachment 184296View attachment 184294

Ahoy Iron Horseman,

Here's a copy of what I posted within previous posts of mine referring to Lionel Trains as Toys:

P.S. Any references to Lionel trains as Toys is based solely on my experiences with 027(1948-56) and 036 (present times) sets and in no way should be construed as an indictment of Lionel's O-scale products - those are hardly toys and I apologize to one and all for coming across as authoritative; just my 2-cents. Thanx!

Undoubtedly one of those "open mouth insert foot" moments for me; which I know better than to do!

Now to your comments:

Hobby stores and in particular those specializing in model trains are about as scace as Hen's Teeth lin these parts. I moved here in 1977 and as you stated, there were dozens of 'em - alas, no more. Schaefer's on Gravois Road is still in business. Train Town on Manchester Road in Rock Hill is still there. Perhaps the "best" remaining is over in St. Charles - Mark Twain Hobby Center - still maintains an extensive model train inventory.

For me, I long ago gave up on driving here 'n there to find what I want or need - internet shopping has been the way to go for me; although I have very fond memories of Hobby Shops and staff with knowledge and willingness to help.

That new bridge across the Missouri is new again and the changes around here are amazing. Since the Great Flood of 1993 Chesterfield Valley has blossomed into a huge mega shopping district - pretty much from end-to-end. Chesterfield Mall is being made ready for demolition and the seemingly ever-present strip malls crop up nearly as frequently as the sun rise. Developers are having a field day in these parts and the animal population is on anxiety meds.

My original 036 Polar Express Berkshire locomotive was one heckuva piece of work - loved the appearance of it. Same goes for the newer version w/LionChief is every bit a detailed as the first.

Thanx for the attachment fotos - definitely worthy of appreciation.

Enjoy the day!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. What part of MO do you reside? I am in KY now but was born in St. Louis and lived around the area, the last MO address was Kimmswick, about 30 or so miles south of St. Louis. Always interested where people are and if there might be mutual acquaintances in the areas.
BZ
Ahoy Kentuckyed,

Kentucky
is a place that warms my heart - always appreciated my experiences in your fine State - across from Cincinnati, OH (once called home) to Kentucky Lake, was all good!

I have been living in Chesterfield, MO for more years than in any other location - arrived in these parts in 1977. I am very familiar with Kimmswick, particularly connected with the Great Flood of 1993; tragic does not do justice to it all.

What are your model railroading interests? It is a great hobby and "safe way" to pass the time!

Go Blues and Cardinals!

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

I use the Atlas Century-21 track. Lots of options, including flex track, but I believe more expensive that Fastrack.
Hi Again,

Options are good; being inflexible is akin to constipation.

This time around with trains, I am in it for the fun of it as opposed to recreating in miniature that which my mind's eye directs.

Did that with several past layouts - the best part was doing it (aka: constructing it all). Now, at my stage of life which includes not buying green bananas, I opt for the simple.

Later . . .

Tom in Missouri

Your 2 cents are as good as anyone's, thanks for sharing it!

I have traditional scale Lionel, RTR sets, high end Lionel Legacy and Vision Line. I have a few expensive HO scale locomotives, even some N scale. For me they are all toys, they are too much fun to be anything else!

Hi Bruette,

Appreciate your understanding.

About a year ago I sold off everything worthy of selling in my extensive model railroad collections. What was not salable was thrown away; decades of love, toil, fun and exasperation all committed to memory. I had reached "that point" where the realization hit home - "What is to become of all this once I am gone?" Answer - Estate Sale and/or large curbside trash bin. It was a relatively easy decision to make and so it happened.

I never thought I would again get the urge to "play with trains" again - but it happened just a few weeks ago and here I am - back in the hobby. AND I AM HAVING FUN AGAIN!

This time though, my layout can be easily dismantled, all equipment original boxes marked and stowed away. In other words: My Executor should not have any difficulties once the time comes.

Sounds morose - but I prefer to think of it as reality.

Enjoy this day!

Tom in Missouri

Hi Mike,

Wow - a sport's fan too! I have spent many a time (and a dime) at Wrigley and the old Chicago Stadium - loved Wrigley cannot say the same about the "old barn." Nevertheless, the rivalries were great and never once had an "ugly" encounter with hometown fans - not once.

Always rooted for the Cubs and Blackhawks whenever my teams were out of it . . . cannot argue with the success of those 3-time Stanley Cup Champs and the Cubbies finally winning it all in 2016. Also, cannot forget the Bulls with Jordan and cast blowing away the NBA season after season.

Yeah, I "dig" the Windy City, big time - not today with the crime out of control - but yesterday when it was a fun place to visit. Today, I am only in Chicago to change trains at Union Station.

Go Blues & Cardinals!

Tom in Missouri

Hi Bruette,

Appreciate your understanding.

About a year ago I sold off everything worthy of selling in my extensive model railroad collections. What was not salable was thrown away; decades of love, toil, fun and exasperation all committed to memory. I had reached "that point" where the realization hit home - "What is to become of all this once I am gone?" Answer - Estate Sale and/or large curbside trash bin. It was a relatively easy decision to make and so it happened.

I never thought I would again get the urge to "play with trains" again - but it happened just a few weeks ago and here I am - back in the hobby. AND I AM HAVING FUN AGAIN!

This time though, my layout can be easily dismantled, all equipment original boxes marked and stowed away. In other words: My Executor should not have any difficulties once the time comes.

Sounds morose - but I prefer to think of it as reality.

Enjoy this day!

Tom in Missouri
Your layout, your rules.

Am awaiting a reply to an Email to the Forum I sent regarding posting of fotos and once my inquiry is addressed, I plan to provide some - ranging from layouts past and present to rail travel adventures.
You only need 5 posts to be able to post Photos of your layout, I would suggest you start your own thread in the Layouts section of the forum and we can all follow along.

You also might want to switch the bold off (top left B) unless there is some particular reason why you need it on.

Back