New "old guy"

siberianmo

Trains - real and model - trains!
Hopefully this introduction has not violated any posting-criteria for this Forum as my intention is to say "Hello" and provide some background regarding my re-entry into the world of Lionel Trains.

I began my love-affair with Lionel Trains back in 1947-48 with my first set - Pennsylvania RR S-2 Turbine work-train set with MagneTraction. It was to be the beginning of many decades of trains (Toy, Model and Real) with a 32-year on/off interruptions during active-duty military service.

Once retired I immersed myself into construction of a basement model railroad "empire" consisting of G-O-S-HO-N and G-gauge trains (the LGB for dual-ovals 'round the Christmas Tree). My HO walk-around layout was the "centerpiece" spanning a 35 ft length with 7 ft and 15 ft widths.

As time will do, things change and once alone in life I decided to sell all of my model trains, some to acquaintances with the Lion's share sold to a nationwide organization in Georgia; essentially returning my basement to a large empty room; filled with many happy memories - but still just a large empty room.

About a year later, I "got the itch" and decided to explore the modern-day world of Lionel Trains. It did not take me long to jump in with both feet as I purchased three (03) sets of Lionel O-gauge LionChief sets (Santa Fe Chief with add-on cars; Polar Express passenger with add-on cars and Polar Express Freight with add-on cars, track, etc.). I have opted to utilize track power from Lionel's GW-180/180-Watt Transformer as opposed to the "plug in" track sections provided with each set.

I just completed constructing a "walk around" 16 ft long by 8 ft wide "table" using the simplest method I could conjure up and now have all the track affixed with the ability to run all three (03) sets along two (02) ovals along with a lengthy passing siding. I have always preferred "simple" when it comes to laying track and enjoy the serenity of viewing my trains running 'round and 'round, etc.

Details will follow - but for now I am enjoying my return to Toy Trains using hand-held remotes and being amazed at the simplicity of it all compared to the wiring, block sections, insulated rail joiners, toggle switches, etc. associated with my Model Train experiences.

No doubt - the modern-day Lionel Trains are quite the leap from what I was exposed to back in the late 1940's. As a side-note: I was too far into my large collections to switch over to DCC; would have been cost-prohibitive to convert over 40 locomotives; to say the least.

Okay - if there is interest, I will provide some photos as my progress continues, which includes two (02) Lionel Girder Bridges (30" long each) that are removable, permitting me to access portions of my new layout where my arm-length cannot.

In conclusion: The more things change, the more they stay the same; meaning: I began with Lionel Toy Trains and find myself ending the same way. Other than that, this new adventure with the new technology and capabiliy definitely is providing me with something that has been missing for several long years; a meaningful and fun way to spend my time.

Later . . .

Tom in Missouri
(siberianmo - translated: Siberian for my love of Husky dogs - MO for Missouri).

P.S. Any references to Lionel trains as Toys is based solely on my experiences with 027(1948-56) and 036 (present times) sets and in no way should be construed as an indictment of Lionel's O-scale products - those are hardly toys and I apologize to one and all for coming across as authoritative; just my 2-cents. Thanx!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Tom, I too am a new comer.

I do model in HO, but have always had a love affair with Lionel.
I have acquired some locomotives and rolling stock the last few years and am planning to make a wall display for my home with them.

Z

Welcome to the forum Tom, I too am a new comer.

I do model in HO, but have always had a love affair with Lionel.
I have acquired some locomotives and rolling stock the last few years and am planning to make a wall display for my home with them.

Z
Hi Zee,

Thanx for the response and welcome.

Lionel has always been special and I am fortunate to have been able to re-enter their new-world.

When I modeled in HO, the featured roads on my layout were Amtrak & VIA Rail (Vancouver & Toronto), BC Rail (Jasper, AB), freights: CN and CP).
Now all pleasant memories - but - at least I still have them!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Hello Migalyto,

Thanx for the welcome!

Had I decided to remain with HO after "leaving" the hobby - KATO would have been my first choice in HO. However, given where I now am in life - "large" is good; meaning: O-gauge is far easier for me to work with!

Anyway, it is a great hobby and irrespective of gauges, a nice way to spend the leisure hours.

Tom in Missouri

Ahoy McLeod and Smudge617,

Appreciate the welcome-back and hope to participate with meaningful submissions.

Given my return to the hobby - this time Toy Trains as opposed to Model Trains - the adjustment is quite the challenge, but I have confidence that being amongst those who have "been there, done that" will add to the enjoyment.

Tom in Missouri

P.S. Any references to Lionel trains as Toys is based solely on my experiences with 027(1948-56) and 036 (present times) sets and in no way should be construed as an indictment of Lionel's O-scale products - those are hardly toys and I apologize to one and all for coming across as authoritative; just my 2-cents. Thanx!

Last edited:
(the LGB for dual-ovals 'round the Christmas Tree).
Hoo Hoo, dual-ovals of LGB around the Christmas Tree

Details will follow - but for now I am enjoying my return to Toy Trains using hand-held remotes and being amazed at the simplicity of it all compared to the wiring, block sections, insulated rail joiners, toggle switches, etc. associated with my Model Train experiences.
That was my epiphany having had the HO and N scale trains in the 1960s. I started collecting old Lionel and wow, the center rail might look goofy but it sure did make things easy and so much quicker to the fun part.

No doubt - the modern-day Lionel Trains are quite the leap from what I was exposed to back in the late 1940's. As a side-note: I was too far into my large collections to switch over to DCC; would have been cost-prohibitive to convert over 40 locomotives; to say the least.

Okay - if there is interest, I will provide some photos as my progress continues, which includes two (02) Lionel Girder Bridges (30" long each) that are removable, permitting me to access portions of my new layout where my arm-length cannot.

In conclusion: The more things change, the more they stay the same; meaning: I began with Lionel Toy Trains and find myself ending the same way. Other than that, this new adventure with the new technology and capability definitely is providing me with something that has been missing for several long years; a meaningful and fun way to spend my time.
Never too far. I think I've got about 1000 DC locomotives to go before they are all DCC. Probably never will be. There will be a better system before I get that far. I've already been through the CTC-16, PNP-112, Railcommand, and now DCC phases. What will be next?

Yes please.

I believe that is an Ecclesiastical saying. That which has been is that which will be again, and that which had been done is that which will be done again.

G'day Iron Horseman,

Whatever "it" is about trains and the Christmas tree, I surely hope that tradition lives on - and on. Nice photo!'

I enjoyed many, many sessions with HO - beginning with a 4x8 ft board and a TYCO freight set (for my first-born son (yeah, right) and then to expansion - packing up for moves (had 13 of 'em in my 32-year military career) with finally turning my basement into the "empire" it became (35 ft length with 7 ft and 15 ft widths). The "theme" was Canada and the U.S. with a walk-around layout featuring "scenes" from many rail trips my wife and I took over decades of rail travel once retired. I called it the Can-Am Railway with Amtrak and VIA Rail passenger along with CN and CP freight.

LIONEL returned to my collection in the form of the original O-gauge Polar Express (with add-on cars) on a ceiling suspended shelf-layout running 22x7 ft. Made it for my Grandkids . . . Polar Express has since become a Christmastime fixture for many.

N-gauge (6x4 ft)was really a challenge because of the size and my diminishing physical abilities with fingers and eyesight - but, my KATO table-top was great fun with oval-in-oval (no surprises there!) featuring the streamliner California Zephyr, Western Pacific RDC's and a long consist of D&RG coal cars. Truly a marvelous venture into the "teeny tiny."

Perhaps my favorite was another ceiling suspended layout (8x7 ft) in S-gauge. Really always loved that size and finally got A-ROUND-TUIT with extensive purchases of AMERICAN MODELS and S-HELPER in an oval-in-oval run featuring Missouri Pacific freight and Illinois Central streamliner consist. Broke my heart to let it all go the way of selling - but the time had come (or at least I had thought so). I used one of those "hoists" intended for garage storage - which permitted me to raise and lower the layout in the only space remaining in my basement that was still "basement."

LGB sets were "basics" - passenger with add-ons and freight with add-on caboose. The family dogs (one-at-a-time) seemed mesmerized by those trains running in opposite directions 'round and 'round the Christmas Village beneath the tree. Of course - oval-in-oval!

Finally, your Biblical reference fit quite well into my early-morning routine as I had just finished my daily readings . . .

Thanx for your communique and hope to contribute to this Forum as my progress with Toy Trains continues. Model Trains was and remains my favorite - however, the infirmities of aging has at least permitted me to continue with the hobby thru the modern-day LIONEL - 3-rail or not, my imagination still "works."

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
LIONEL returned to my collection in the form of the original O-gauge Polar Express (with add-on cars) on a ceiling suspended shelf-layout running 22x7 ft. Made it for my Grandkids . . . Polar Express has since become a Christmastime fixture for many.
I got my Polar Express specifically for the Christmas Forest we do every other year.... It was the featured train this year rather than the G-gauge stuff.
This years was over in another post https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...stmas-trees-trains-and-more.36452/post-600337
Tom in Missouri
Where abouts in Missouri. I did a stint in St. Louis area, and in-laws live in Centerville.

Ahoy Iron Horseman,

Very much appreciated the link to your Christmas Forest arrangement. Repeating myself a bit: Nothing can top trains 'round the tree!

Chesterfield is where I dropped anchor - alas, far from the salt air - but comfortable living; about 25 miles due west of downtown StL.
Centerville is a bit of a drive south from here - passed thru decades ago heading to "who knows where."

Still working on finalizing "things" on my new Toy Trains layout - tracks in place; although working with sectional stuff makes me miss the flexible lengths I got used to with HO. Lionel's Fastrack is inflexible! Oh well, adjustment is all part of the fun!

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
G'day Guilford Railman,

Once upon better times I devoted many spare hours to HO and N - but as mentioned somewhere in prior responses all of that is now committed to memories (and many fotos!). Anyway . . .

I awoke one morning with a thought, "Why not?" and pretty much "jumped" back into the hobby but this time with the modern-day Lionel LionChief Toy Trains. Having all sorts of "fun" putting into reality that which has been on my mind which translated pretty much means lots of trial and error, but I am getting there!

Just ordered 3 "more" fitters with next-day delivery as I am spending this Saturday morning and early afternoon back in what was once my Can-Am Trainroom - but now I guess it will be Tom's Lion's Den.

Thanx for the contact and I definitely plan on providing fotos, but only when at a stage where I will not be using "band width" for nonsense.

Later!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
G'day AirbrushNo5,

Interesting"handle" you have - particularly as I have concluded (for this day) some on/off hand-brushing of the underlayment for my new ToyTrain layout. I prefer painting everything a "basic" brown before getting into landscaping. Anyway, been a long time since I held a paint bruh and these old hands are "barking" at me!

Thanx for the welcome!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Having all sorts of "fun" putting into reality that which has been on my mind which translated pretty much means lots of trial and error, but I am getting there!
Trial and error is probably the best way to learn! I’ve had a half dozen or so smaller model railroads over the last 15 years and I’ve learned so many things from each build.

My current build has been the biggest learning curve so far I think despite it’s small size. Regardless of the mistakes I’ve made, it’s still turning out great and I’m happy with it!

Hi Jaz avalley,

That is quite an Avatar - if I saw that within my local station, I would beat-feet back to my car!

Not wishing to come across as "an authority" with regard to Lionel and what we all prefer to call "Model Trains," there is a distinction.

For me, Lionel has represented Toy Trains since my first set in 1948-49 - Model Trains back then were pretty much as rare as Hen's Teeth insofar as "electric trains" were concerned. Over time, HO emerged as perhaps the most detailed, readily available (in terms of road names, rolling stock, locomotives, etc.) than the competitors. Again, this is purely my own oh-pin-yun based upon decades of being in the hobby.

Lionel today has made a huge leap into technology, but still lags far behind in terms of realism that HO represents. For me, at the stage of life I am in, the size and ease of assembly and operation is paramount. (One day you too will experience the "Golden Years.")

Toy Trains have as much allure and enjoyment as all of the gauges I have had in my train room. But, they are Toys not Models.

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:

Back