Need Help With Information on Lionel Train Set

Guilford: For the board cleaning, give the dishwasher a go. If that no workie, then Mr. Clean in green bottle and scrub brush. Solder looks pretty easy to fix. Alligator clip the wire down as close as you can to the joint, little bit of flux, then hit it with the iron. Looks like phosphor-bronze so it will heat fast. Don't want to melt any wires or the plastic holding the rivets!

Later

Guilford: For the board cleaning, give the dishwasher a go. If that no workie, then Mr. Clean in green bottle and scrub brush. Solder looks pretty easy to fix. Alligator clip the wire down as close as you can to the joint, little bit of flux, then hit it with the iron. Looks like phosphor-bronze so it will heat fast. Don't want to melt any wires or the plastic holding the rivets!

Later
:eek:

I have acquired some pre-cut squares of double-sided foam tape to utilize for the replacement of the foam located underneath the soundboard circuit in the locomotive tender. I managed to clean the chassis side very well with some goo-gone and dish soap with warm water.

View attachment 172643

However…I don’t want to use the same method to clean the remaining foam particles that are still attached to the circuit board as seen below. Any recommendations for what I can do to get it cleaned up prior to adhering the foam tape?

View attachment 172644

On a different note, I realized I have a bit more soldering ahead of me. As you can see in the photos below, the wires feeding into the rail pickups for the sound board aren’t looking too good! I will have to add this repair to my list of model railroad to-dos.

View attachment 172645

View attachment 172646

As far as cleaning off the circuit board goes, brush on some mineral spirits on the bottom side only, wait a few minutes, then try and brush it off. Lather, rinse, repeat so to speak. It should remove the old adhesive without harming anything. And if it doesn't, don't worry. I don't think it will hurt the functionality of the board, whether it has this old foam gunk on it or not.

As far as re-soldering the wires go, cut and strip the wires for new bare ends. Pre-tin them with solder. Insert them through the HOLES in the electrical pickups (and NOT next to the rivets), and solder from there. Use a piece of water-soaked sponge to place on the pickups where they touch the plastic, to act as a heat sink. Immediately when done soldering, wipe the wet sponge over the soldered joint in order to kill the heat. This should keep the plastic from melting. I do this all the time, and it works great.👍

Last edited:

Later
Not sure how I feel about electronics in the dishwasher lol. The thought of that makes my mind explode!

Mr. Clean is a possibility…scrub brush will certainly work! I’ll explore the idea, thanks!

:eek:

Ad far as cleaning off the circuit board goes, brush on some mineral spirits on the bottom side only, wait a few minutes, then try and brush it off. Lather, rinse, repeat so to speak. It should remove the old adhesive without harming anything. And if it doesn't, don't worry. I don't think it will hurt the functionality of the board, whether it has this old foam gunk on it or not.

As far as re-soldering the wires go, cut and strip the wires for new bare ends. Pre-tin them with solder. Insert them through the HOLES in the electrical pickups (and NOT next to the rivets), and solder from there. Use a piece of water-soaked sponge to place on the pickups where they touch the plastic, to act as a heat sink. Immediately when done soldering, wipe the wet sponge over the soldered joint in order to kill the heat. This should keep the plastic from melting. I do this all the time, and it works great.👍
Thanks for the info! I’ll give these ideas a shot:)

Not sure how I feel about electronics in the dishwasher lol. The thought of that makes my mind explode!

Mr. Clean is a possibility…scrub brush will certainly work! I’ll explore the idea, thanks!
Not to worry. Guess how they clean the boards at the manufacture? Not quite a dishwasher per se. Board that old probably cleaned by hand with MEK and brush, or was dipped in a solvent tank for flux cleaning. New stuff now days is pretty much clean water, have not seen solvent cleaning for something like 10 years. I put my keyboards or any other suitable stuff in the dishwasher when they get nasty. Ya just got to make sure that all the water is shaken out and it is dry before you use it. Heat oven to 170 then turn off; leave stuff for an hour or so in oven which works if you are lazy. Watch out for SO! I do take the keyboard apart so it is easier to shake water out. Note that there are some parts that will not stand water, usually sealed mechanical relay's ( really not sealed ) or other mechanical parts, crystal ovens, and some other special things. Those types are soldered to the board after the other stuff is washed.

Edited: Went back and looked at the board pix. Soldered by hand, leads cut by hand. This board is of the age that you might also look at the solder mechanical connections with some sort of magnification as they *could* be starting to crack. If so, you should notice a slight discoloration of the solder. Grab the lead sticking up with pliers and see if it moves ever so slightly. If so, solder again. This usually happens with big heavy parts or mechanical connections to the board.

For a giggle/grin - When I as doing TV way back, the 1st thing you would do if it would not power up, is rip the back of the thing off, then with plugged in an on, push on the PCB and a few locations. If cracked solder, it would make connections and it would fire up. You should see peoples faces when you are doing that! Everybody thought that TV's were voodoo and just taking the back of could kill ya.

Later

Last edited:
I’ve completed the repairs on the tender! Thanks to these helpful thread responses, I was able to fix the issue with little difficulty. I did try to clean the board using a couple different methods and ultimately decided to remove as much as I could with what I had. I wasn’t able to clean all the residue, but enough to adhere small sections of the double-sided foam tape.

IMG_5885.jpeg

The soldering went well and I was able to redo the connections done by the previous owner. I decided to leave the solder from the previous connection point as I wanted to limit the possibility of increasing the risk of melting the plastic with soldering.

IMG_5883.jpeg

Here’s the finished product! I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but perhaps tomorrow…

IMG_5886.jpeg

I decided to leave the solder from the previous connection point as I wanted to limit the possibility of increasing the risk of melting the plastic with soldering.
Note that while regular solder itself is conductive, it is not as good a conductor as metal to metal. Connections work best if the two conductors are touching and the solder is just used to maintain the connection. Silver solder is a better conductor but requires a higher temperature.

Note that while regular solder itself is conductive, it is not as good a conductor as metal to metal. Connections work best if the two conductors are touching and the solder is just used to maintain the connection. Silver solder is a better conductor but requires a higher temperature.
I had to redo one of the connections because it wasn’t located in the right area, so it has a fresh connection adjacent to the old one. Old solder is just there now, no connections to it.

I’ve completed the repairs on the tender! Thanks to these helpful thread responses, I was able to fix the issue with little difficulty. I did try to clean the board using a couple different methods and ultimately decided to remove as much as I could with what I had. I wasn’t able to clean all the residue, but enough to adhere small sections of the double-sided foam tape.

View attachment 172693

The soldering went well and I was able to redo the connections done by the previous owner. I decided to leave the solder from the previous connection point as I wanted to limit the possibility of increasing the risk of melting the plastic with soldering.

View attachment 172694

Here’s the finished product! I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but perhaps tomorrow…

View attachment 172695
Looks good, GuilfordRailman. You may have to change your forum username to "LionelRepairman"! :)👍

Finally got around to continuing work on one of my Lionel train sets, mainly that my locomotive forced my hand due to the traction tire deciding to slip off the wheel. I went ahead and ordered new ones and installed it today.

IMG_6185.jpeg

IMG_6184.jpeg

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

I also ordered some new jewels for the lights as one was missing since I bought the train set. Here is the before and after:

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

I tested the locomotive and since doing the sound board repair, I hadn’t had a chance to test it until now. The Ebay seller said the sound wasn’t the best and they were right! What would cause the sound to come out sounding…crackly?

I tested the locomotive and since doing the sound board repair, I hadn’t had a chance to test it until now. The Ebay seller said the sound wasn’t the best and they were right! What would cause the sound to come out sounding…crackly?
Unfortunately I am not an electronics guru. The best advice I can offer is to carefully check ALL of the soundboard wiring that goes all the way from the sound board to everywhere else. Make sure the insulation is solid and intact, and not rubbed thru where moving parts or wire movement could cause intermittent contact with metal frames. Make sure all soldered connections are good and not just hanging on by a strand or two.

If this checks out okay, then obviously something is failing on the sound board or maybe the speaker is going bad. Hopefully someone with the necessary knowledge and experience can chime in with possible problems and solutions.

FYI, the sound board in my 8304 loco actually sounds pretty good to my ears. But that's comparing it to my Lionel Rock Island 4-8-4 of approx. 1987 vintage. Instead of having the "Mighty Sound of Steam" like my 8304, it's more like the "Static-y Sound of Scream". It's so obnoxiously grating that I run it with the sound turned off virtually all of the time. And its electronic whistle is just as annoying. It sounds more like a sick bull moose during the mating season, rather than a good steam whistle. Yechhh!!!

Unfortunately I am not an electronics guru. The best advice I can offer is to carefully check ALL of the soundboard wiring that goes all the way from the sound board to everywhere else. Make sure the insulation is solid and intact, and not rubbed thru where moving parts or wire movement could cause intermittent contact with metal frames. Make sure all soldered connections are good and not just hanging on by a strand or two.

If this checks out okay, then obviously something is failing on the sound board or maybe the speaker is going bad. Hopefully someone with the necessary knowledge and experience can chime in with possible problems and solutions.

FYI, the sound board in my 8304 loco actually sounds pretty good to my ears. But that's comparing it to my Lionel Rock Island 4-8-4 of approx. 1987 vintage. Instead of having the "Mighty Sound of Steam" like my 8304, it's more like the "Static-y Sound of Scream". It's so obnoxiously grating that I run it with the sound turned off virtually all of the time. And its electronic whistle is just as annoying. It sounds more like a sick bull moose during the mating season, rather than a good steam whistle. Yechhh!!!
Thanks for the information! I’ll explore your suggestions more when I get a chance.

Another issue with my Lionel train set today:(

I was testing the locomotive after installing the new traction tire and when using my manual turnouts, they weren’t working. This is the style I have:

IMG_6201.jpeg

They both worked fine the other day but I noticed the locomotive would slow down on them so I cleaned both of them with some vinegar and the track cleaning solution from Lionel. One works great after cleaning but the other does not. What could be causing the issue?

They both worked fine the other day but I noticed the locomotive would slow down on them so I cleaned both of them with some vinegar and the track cleaning solution from Lionel. One works great after cleaning but the other does not. What could be causing the issue?
So by not working you mean the loco is still slowing down on the one, or stalling outright? OR the turnout isn't throwing?

So by not working you mean the loco is still slowing down on the one, or stalling outright? OR the turnout isn't throwing?
The loco stalls as it passes over the turnout when the switch is thrown. It works when the points allow the train to proceed straight but not into the spur track. Does that make sense?

Back