Loco's you just had to have but...

frog

...don't really have a place on your layout.

I know most of us have done this. I myself have 2, a Florida East Coast Road Switcher and a SW-1500, the River Street Rambler from Savannah, GA.

I have no palm trees on my layout so the FEC stands out, I use it hooked to other engines as a "just pasing through" situation. Real railroads do this, so it works, and besides, being from Daytona Beach way back I like the FEC, was the first train I saw in fact although too young at the time to know what a train was.

As to the River Street Rambler, Savannah has a special meaning, with it being my wifes's hometown. I have seen this loco years back and it impressed me going down river street among all the tourist playing it's music while it pulled tanker cars. It is gone today, replaced by a street car, but I hear they plan to bring it back as a display.

And besides, it was "neat looking" and I just had to have it.

How many do you guys have like this, ones you just "had to get"?

Athearn SD70ace in the Union Pacific MP heritage scheme..I run NS and BNSF. The engine was on sale for $114 so I had to have it. My wife says I have an addiction, I'm up to 55 modern engines. Bought 6 Athearn SD70mac BNSF 9647 Vommit Bonnit's cause they were cheap. Anyone need one ?

I have a Rivarossi HO scale Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, a Rivarossi Southern Pacific 4-8-8-2 cab forward, and a Bachmann Santa Fe 2-10-4 Texas.
And I would really like to get a Union Pacific 9000 series 4-12-2.
I have a small 2x8 foot switching layout at the moment. But someday......:D

Athearn SD70ace in the Union Pacific MP heritage scheme..I run NS and BNSF. The engine was on sale for $114 so I had to have it. My wife says I have an addiction, I'm up to 55 modern engines. Bought 6 Athearn SD70mac BNSF 9647 Vommit Bonnit's cause they were cheap. Anyone need one ?

How cheap we talking because I my be intrested

...don't really have a place on your layout.

I know most of us have done this. I myself have 2, a Florida East Coast Road Switcher and a SW-1500, the River Street Rambler from Savannah, GA.

I have no palm trees on my layout so the FEC stands out, I use it hooked to other engines as a "just pasing through" situation. Real railroads do this, so it works, and besides, being from Daytona Beach way back I like the FEC, was the first train I saw in fact although too young at the time to know what a train was.

LOL We have 4 FEC units running on the New England Central RR in Ct, MA, Vt. Now they are running through 2 ft of snow which is rare for those units so anything is possible.

In my case it is the Chesapeake & Ohio Allegheny. It is such a brute that it was a must-have for me. For modern times, the two SD75M in warbonnet livery from the Santa Fe.

All my AC4400s and Dash 9s (6 of them). Only one (NS) is of a road I model. I thought they were cool and liked the look of them.

A GM&O RS1. Before my era, but it's so ugly, it's cool. I am looking at GM&O F3s and SOU F3s, as well they are before my era.

I'd really like to have one of these in the coal version, but it only made a brief appearance in the area and year that I model.

In my case it is the Chesapeake & Ohio Allegheny. It is such a brute that it was a must-have for me.

I second that. I fell in love with the Allegheny when I discovered it at about age 12 or so. But since I model PRR it's obviously out of place, but an absolute must have for me.

I model modern stuff, like BNSF (duh!), and now that I've moved to NS country, I've got a bunch of that stuff. The biggest "gotta have" for me was a Genset switcher...in UP...
I also have several steam engines, only two of which I can justify in any way at all.

I have some steamers I just had to have at different points in time. Most of them (Bachmann 70's era 0-6-0, Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagara, Bachmann 4-6-0 Hall Type) are never used and just hold down the track on the display shelf. One of them (Mehano 2-10-2) is rarely used. Two others are on the layout as displays. A Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-2 K4 in a park display and a Bachmann 0-6-0 as a rusted derelict. Most of these I obtained in trades, one was a gift and one I inherited from a relative. A steamer that I bought new was an Athearn Genesis 4-6-2 light pacific turned out to be a piece of junk which I eventually traded for the Bachmann Spectrum which was a yard queen on another modelers layout.

Moving on to diesels, an Athearn RTR AC4400. I ended up stripping it for parts to rebuild an Athearn SDP40F.

All brass, PFM Rayonier lumber 2-6-6-2, PFM Three truck shay,VH CNR Jubilee.
Then there is the traction stuff all Suydam. except for the shay they all live in boxes.
Probably have almost a half hour each of running time again except for the shay which has a whole 2 hours!
So what did I end up doing? Why I actually built and ran an HOn30 layout. Go figure.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
MT Hopper
p.s. forgot the Rivarossi Y6b 2-6-6-2 my grandmother thought looked like a lot for the money so she bought it for me. Didn't have the heart at the time to tell her she got the scale right at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is funny. I purchased a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2 Southern USRA Light lock with DCC and Sound. Really cool loco, but the only reason I bought it was cause it was cool. Wait a minute. I got a bunch of stuff that I bought just cause it was cool.

Until recently, there was a locomotive rebuild facility in Tacoma, WA called CEECO, which stood for "Coast Engine and Equipment Company"

They did rebuilds for all kind of railroads, from Class 1's to small shortlines. I would frequently drive by there to see what was in the yard. Some of the more unusual sigtings included a UP E unit stored there for a long, an F unit painted in SP Black Widow, a visiting Reading 4-8-4, Alaska RR, Central California Traction and some White Pass and Yukon units. Of course they also had plenty of UP, BN and Amtrak power cycle through.

Want a place to park just about anything on your railroad? Create your own version of the CEECO rebuild and paint shop. Speaking of paint, it's also a great place to park stuff you haven't weathered yet.

Check out the "new car shine" on this loco, a CCT engine being shipped south. The paint was so fresh you could still smell it!

View attachment 24815

I know this feeling very well. At the Springfield show a couple of weeks ago I bought a Bachmann 2-10-4 because it caught my eye and the price was right. All I did was test run it and then it went back in the box. I'm a die hard diesel fan with over 100 locomotives and only five steamers, mostly from when I was a kid. It looks nice and runs great but it just doesn't fit in my roster. Maybe it will wind up on EBay, who knows?

heh, just about all of my engines were a omg-gotta-have-it buy... I really dont have any specific era in mind, I just buy what i think is cool. I need more cars though, don't really have much to pull with my engines.

I don't currently have a layout but given the size of my house any layout I would ever have will not be big enough to run most of the locomotives I have unless I build around the walls from room to room( I just might). I have a Spectrum DD40AX and several old Athearn DD40s plus a Rivarossi Cab Forward. None of which would look good running on a 5 x 10. If they would make the curves at all. I know the Cab 2-8-8-2 will but wouldn't look right doing it. I like the big power so I bought them hopefully someday I can put them to use.

A Milwaukee Road H10-44 (I'm into SP and Santa Fe), 3 brass SP Mountains in S scale (no room for an S scale layout). They sure look cool though.

Cheers,
Ken

Back