Loco's you just had to have but...

Boy-where to start...I model 1890-1920 Colorado standard and narrow gauge,that got stretched to the 1950's transition era.I have a pair of atlas gp7's and SD9's in Rio Grande,and a PA and PB in Rio Grande.I also have a Milwaukee Road diesel,as I grew up in the Chicago area,and a CB&Q F unit.Then I had to have a pair of Athearn RDC's and installed ernst gearing in them,and foud a pair of old Walthers gas units.(hope the wife doesn't read this)I kept running across cheap mantua steamers,and remotored them.They will pull a long train.

Yeah about five or six off ebay I thought were great deals. Now I don't know what to do with them. That's part because I keep changing the them of my layout.

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 45 ton that now has no use on my layout at all. Good thing I got it cheap I guess.

This one is funny. I purchased a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2 Southern USRA Light lock with DCC and Sound. Really cool loco, but the only reason I bought it was cause it was cool. Wait a minute. I got a bunch of stuff that I bought just cause it was cool.

Me too! I bought the same undecorated and man it is cooooooool! That's why I model the second half of the twentieth century, give or take twenty years. I figure if its cool enough for me to want, why not? I've got a lot of respect for you guys that get everything era and railroad specific but it ain't me.

Guess it would be my Athearn Genesis MP15-AC. Looked so good at the LHS and just had to have it. Problem being I intend to model '50s- late '60.

Mine's a Shay that I reckon *could* work on my "set in the future" layout - I just love the mechanism, and had to have one!

Prototypical? No - But put a V&T decal on the side and she'll be good. :)

Cheers,
Ian

Locos you just had to have but don't really have a place on your layout?

There's a very simple solution to this...

I don't have a layout! :p

Greg;)

Quoting John:

"Guess it would be my Athearn Genesis MP15-AC. Looked so good at the LHS and just had to have it. Problem being I intend to model '50s- late '60. "

Wow!

Me too. I was in awe of the model when I saw it. But I do SP 1955-ish so that option is out. It would look funny hauling outside braced boxcars. :confused:

Now if they could just apply that magic to a EMD SW-1 in SP and WP colors...

Chas.

Counting nuts, bolts, and screws don't cut it for me.

I was given a really good piece of advice (I thought so anyway) several years ago when I really got serious about my model railroad. I was on the verge of becoming a "nut, bolt, and screw counter" and was worrying about every little thing that was not prototypical on my pre-merger Southern layout. An "old dog" listened to my mutterings and with a grin and a chuckle he reminded me that first and foremost model railroading was supposed to be fun, and secondly it was MY railroad, build it with what I want and to heck with anyone else...if they don't like what I have on my layout they don't have to visit, and they can go build their own. That is the last time I EVER worried about "counting nuts, bolts, and screws" and it has been a fun filled decade ever since!:)

My roster is filled with locomotives I or my dad think are cool different or other wise just had to have. So don't fit into my grand plan for a layout others have worked their way in. Our biggest problem is that we like pairs or sets of units so that we can run them together if and when we feel like it.

Boy-where to start...I model 1890-1920 Colorado standard and narrow gauge,that got stretched to the 1950's transition era.I have a pair of atlas gp7's and SD9's in Rio Grande,and a PA and PB in Rio Grande.I also have a Milwaukee Road diesel,as I grew up in the Chicago area,and a CB&Q F unit.Then I had to have a pair of Athearn RDC's and installed ernst gearing in them,and foud a pair of old Walthers gas units.(hope the wife doesn't read this)I kept running across cheap mantua steamers,and remotored them.They will pull a long train.

That "Q" F-unit does NOT qualify as out of bounds for Colorado standard gauge as long as you are in the 1940-1950 period. The Colorado & Southern and Fort Worth & Denver were subsidiarys of the "Q", and often pooled motive power. The Milwaukee unit? Well, it might have been leased to the C&S or CB&Q, and found its way west! ;)

I happened to see a Rock Island E6 advertised in Trainworld, and thought it would look "cool". In fact, the "Q" jointly ran both the Texas Zephyr and the Zephyr Rocket with the RI. But what really got me going was the possibility of kitbashing an E6 into a "Q" E5. They are pretty similar except the E5 had corregated stainless steel panels below the windows, and the headlight sloped back parallel with the raked nose. But I wanted to keep the RI E6, so I ordered an undecorated E6. I was chargrinned to find the undec version does NOT have the Mars light, while the RI E6 does. A call to the number on the instruction sheet redirected me to Walthers, and I found out the Proto2000 E6's were discontinued in 2004, so the body shell with the Mars light and the additional light itself are no longer available. :( Looks like I'll have to swap body shells and add a second light port to the undec shell when I start modifying it for the E5. The RI E6 will probably run as a unit behind the E5, so if the Mars light is non-functional on the E6, it'll be okay.

Now about that big articulated...

Green boards all the way!
Trailrider

Quoting John:

"Guess it would be my Athearn Genesis MP15-AC. Looked so good at the LHS and just had to have it. Problem being I intend to model '50s- late '60. "

Wow!

Me too. I was in awe of the model when I saw it. But I do SP 1955-ish so that option is out. It would look funny hauling outside braced boxcars. :confused:

Now if they could just apply that magic to a EMD SW-1 in SP and WP colors...

Chas.

Charles you could get the Bowser Baldwins or the Atlas HH-660. They are easily a match for the Athearn MP detail level, and run very well. I do SP in the same time frame, but have a small amount of bloody nose myself...MP-15s SW-1500s and some RS-11's :D

The out-of-place locomotive i have is the Bachman ATSF 4-8-4 that my dad got as a teenager. Want to put DCC in it when we get it all cleaned up.

Those would be all of my old BB F7's. Even though my primary interest is the ATSF from the 1980's through the merger, I just love seeing some classic warbonnets running together. And odds are good that I will end up with a steamer before I die...

A Hallmark Missouri Pacific 1400 class 2-8-2. Chunky thing. Looks interesting. Doesn't fit with my SP stuff but a neat looking loco. Shouldn't have bought it, but I couldn't resist it!.

Hmmmm .. seeing as I haven't actually laid ANY track yet (haven't even quite finished the platform yet); I would say all 6 of my engines (Steam, 1920 - 1940), and I am even bidding on 2 more .. LOL. And since I am trying to stay w/ a N.E. Ohio regional, a couple of them aren't even the right road names, IE: a Proto 2000 Heritage Union Pacific 2-8-8-2, but considering it was new for $160, I HAD to have it .. lol. (at least all the others were less expensive) (hmmm ..could Western Maryland have ever run a 2-6-6-2 through N.E. Ohio? got one of those also .. I GOTTA STOP buying!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I model the present day Norfolk Southern and Pan Am Railways. I thought that GG1s were cool, and just had to have one. My LHS had one, an IHC Premier (made by Mehano) NJDOT GG1 on the clearance table for $50 and I bought it. I patched the NJDOT lettering out and applied CR (Conrail) decals.

Now it just sits on a siding in the engine pit, but it does get run occasionally. I took out the pizza cutter pilot wheels and replaced them with Reboxx 36" semi scale ones. The 10 axles (yes, axles, that makes for 20 wheels) are a PAIN to get railed so I rarely run it.

I also wanted to run some passenger equipment (MBTA) but the choices in HO were slim so I decided to go with Amtrak. I traded a Guilford Rail System SD26 with sound with my friend for a full set (10 cars) talgo pendular train. Then of course, I had to buy a loco to pull it. Now I have an Amtrak Surfliner F59PHI, a Phase V P42DC, and a Phase V Acela (I need to rub those Acela logos off) HHP-8.

I also got bitten by the Tooter's Scooter's bug and went out and paid for a custom painted GE 25-ton switcher for the Providence and Worcester Railroad #150 (The MIGHTY 150) which is somehow still on the prototype's roster today.

Back