Loco's you just had to have but...

Mine would be the 4-6-4 hudson in CNR scheme. I model Britch Columbia in 1959. As far as I know the CNR Hudson's never made it further west than Alberta and by the late fifties BC was fully dieselized. So the engine sits on my shelf unused. Maybe it will show up on Ebay in the future. I also don't want to bother spending the money throwing a DCC decoder in it, much like most of my athearn engines that I had when I converted into DCC

Well, I didn't "just have to have it", but my wife likes to buy me locos for birthday, anniversary, etc., and likes 'em with sound. Since I am wiring for DC, I've acquired a Tech 6 controller, but haven't hooked it up yet.

One of the "motors" (as the Q would call diesels) is an MP15 decorated for the Texas Terminal Railroad. That's a little far south for my Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the C.B. & Q., but I figure it this way: The "Q" had a subsidiary, the Forth Worth & Denver (FW&D), which, along with the Rock Island, operated as far south as Texas. So, I figure they would have possibly leased/loaned this critter for temporary use "up North". Only problem is that I think the "Q" was gone into the BN and maybe the BNSF by the time the MP15 came out. (Haven't really checked on the dates.) Of course, I can always haul out that SDWhatever it is that is BNSF, for the benefit of my youngest grandkid, who can only see BNSF coal trains running though Denver these days, and probably won't relate to those stainless steel Zephyr's that grandpa rode as a kid.;)

... Only problem is that I think the "Q" was gone into the BN and maybe the BNSF by the time the MP15 came out.

To justify the loco is easy. ;) Just remember the FIRST LAW OF MODEL RAILROADING: Its my Railroad and I'll run it anyway I darn well please!:D:D

Well lets see here, I origionaly intended to model Union pacific but my first Loco was a CNW gp15 which is ok, but then I found a good deal on a seaboard coast line U18b and had to have it. Now I have a UP sd70mace, UP sd60m, a CP es44ac and finally a NS B23-7. How is that for a mix

I wanted one of the Kaslo SDF40-2's (Santa fe re-built some ex-Amtrak SDP40F's), finally got one, then 3 weeks later had to sell it to cover the pre-order of the Intermountain ES44AC. Sad day to let it go, I loved it so much, but it had not place in my plans... Now if I could get the CP SD40-2F, I'd be happy.

An Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0 switcher.

Is this the one with the motor in the tender 0-8-0 or a later one that had the motor in the cab?

Two of my first HO locos when I started getting serious in the hobby was a very European looking 2-8-0, and the IHB 0-8-0. Both had the motor in the tender with a clear neoprene tube between the cab and the tenders. My other loco was the Rivarossi "docksider" 0-4-0. That little jewel could out run the wind.

I just have to have an RDC. I model the present day Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System which was a holding company for Maine Central, Boston and Maine, Springfield Terminal, Portland Terminal, and the rolling stock assets of Delaware and Hudson, which they transferred out of that company before they got rid of it)

I also model Norfolk Southern and Amtrak although I don't do anything prototypical for Amtrak (I have a P42DC in phase V, an HHP-8, an F59PHI in the Surfliner scheme which is a dedicated engine that pulls the 12-car Talgo Pendular test train in Phase I. I also have four Amfleet Is in the Phase IVb paint scheme and a plated Walthers Superliner II coach in the Phase IVb scheme)

To "justify" an RDC, I am looking for the Proto 1000 model for Boston and Maine (B&M) #6211 (RDC-2). That particular RDC is still in existence and has been cosmetically restored.

If anyone knows a place that has that model, I'd appreciate it if you send me a PM.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one with the motor in the tender 0-8-0 or a later one that had the motor in the cab?

Two of my first HO locos when I started getting serious in the hobby was a very European looking 2-8-0, and the IHB 0-8-0. Both had the motor in the tender with a clear neoprene tube between the cab and the tenders. My other loco was the Rivarossi "docksider" 0-4-0. That little jewel could out run the wind.

Whichever I can find, it would be primarily a static display. I want to find a super switcher" though, with the booster truck on the tender.

That one would be from the later years. But you could also get one of the more common ones and get a booster truck from Precision Scale Models, and stick under the tender.

I would also check on E-bay.

That one would be from the later years. But you could also get one of the more common ones and get a booster truck from Precision Scale Models, and stick under the tender.

I would also check on E-bay.

I just bid on one actually. It's an older one I think. I have one, but the detail is all wrong, lol.

I know I am way behind on this post but I buy and run what I want. That is why I dubbed my railroad the "ANY Era " layout. I model Late 60's and early 70's town but heck you can find those towns anywhere in the US today.( I live in a older town) . I never really pressured myself to stay with a certain year of railroad or road name. ( I do have a passion though for midwest and eastern railroads) It can always be explained as a newer era with excursion trains running through it. More relaxing for me. Maybe when I do my G-Scale outside I will keep it as a Western theme, old time steam.

My joy is scenery and watching the kids seeing the trains going around the layout.

Just my thoughts . Have a great weekend. ( I will because it supposed to rain and that means I can catch up on some modeling) :)

My list is too long, but basically, anything in Espee Black Widow paint scheme just makes my pulse quicken a bit. I have two of the new AThearn Genesis Geeps on order for later this year. I'd really love an SD 7/9 of the same quality.

Goitta' stop buying locos. :mad::mad:

i've always liked the look of the Russian ordered 2-10-0's, but the RI never obtained any, so i created a free lanced shortline that presumably picked a pair up cheap when the Frisco started to dieselize. might also have to re write RI history to include a USRA 2-8-8-2, say bought for trials on drag frieght service. nice thing about modeling is you can change history to suit your tastes.

Back