kz9's HO Scale Empire.....

New proposed Layout. Going to be 3 decks. Lower deck will be staging and storage. Connected with a 2 track Helix on each end of the main for great operation.

Open to suggestions and I can e-mail the Xtrak File for alterations if your bored.

Layout.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi .. I just found this thread .. OMG. and .. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I am one of those "newbies" that got in over my head (I'm doing all Steam Era); but seeing yours .. well ... I guess I didn't go as nuts as I thought I did .. lol. I can't wait to see your new layout! You did an EXCELLENT job, and I know your next layout will be even better. Hats off and a bow to you, sir.

Well the baby is STILL NOT here yet....lol Anyday now. So of course I have been going crazy with getting things ready for that. I have been doing some detailing in what I have of free time to keep sane.

Athearn BB CSX C44-9w #9023

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

As for late I have been really itching to run some trains as I just did an inventory on ALL my equipment. Looking at all the time and effort I put into my basement, and how I like it so much, I have decicded against the pervious layout design and made a new one.

This one is going to be a 3 deck free-standing layout built in domino sections and totally movable. It will consist of 2 28''-30''r helix modules, 32''x48''or60'' domino sections, and support sections. Right now I have no planned staging, but I will have atleast a 10 train staging yard on a rollout section for set-up.

Mostly around the walls, but the right side is accessable. Feel free to comment good or bad.

Bottom

Bottom-1.jpg

Middle

Middle-1.jpg

Top-1.jpg

Kellan;

Very nice plan! I like it. Plenty of operation, and even some nice areas for some "knock'em dead" type scenery!

Geeezus Kellan, a 3 decker, wow!. You're not pulling any punches this time are you?

I like the plan, should be a fun build, looks like plenty of space, and lot's of operating potential.

The only thing I see is potential hazard are the helix's. Make sure you don't limit yourself with train length on those. What is the grade on them anyways?

They could be hard as heck to build also...

They should end up being 26''r with a 18'' rise between deck. This should give me 2.2 - 2.5% grade. Track work will have to be PERFECT to avoid string lining on them. Engine power won't be an issue. I might even try super-elevating the track too.

Do you plan on having long cars, like 85' passenger coaches, or autoracks? If so, I would try to get at least 28" - 30" radius on those helix's.

I think they're are places that have a Heilix solutions, that you can get custom made, and all you do is install them. They include the rings, and risers and everything you need. Might have better results with something like that.

Check this out here: http://www.ashlintrains.com/servlet/the-102/N-scale-N-gauge/Detail

I plan on running some autoracks and maybe the odd excursion train. I've heard of guys running 24'' helixs with 65'+ rolling stock and not having too many issues.....

I'm pretty sure I can build one cheaper and stronger than one of those kits. Mind you those are a great idea and probely durable, but I plan on using 1/2''x4'' wood, and building it that way. Biscuit jointed and supported at each joint with the risers from the floor. Might be overkill, but with 26''r it needs to be straight and strong.

Well with the new baby and also being busy again at work I haven't been able to do much. I have been working on my CSX Dash 9 project, and tonight I had sometime while the wife took the baby on her walk to complete one of the free standing supports for the layout.

IMG_5150.jpg

Surpising as it looks, its actually very strudy. Seperation between desks will be 15'' with a reach of 32''. Yes this is tight, but I think with my trackplan its do able. My classifaction yard is only 20'' deep from the front and the farthest tack is only 27'' on the run around.

Wow, just looked at every post in this thread. Love it, congrats on the new baby too. I'm planning my layout right now and it will be a modern layout, I'm in the SE US so I might do a what would be a modern Seaboard or just stick with NS/CSX. Anyways, I'd like some input on the smallest radius for the car below. I'd like to do a multi layer(2) level layout. I have a 9x11 room that I still need to use for sleeping(when my sons stay over) and incorporate all my MR in this room. If I go 2 levels then I'll need a helix and I can't give up 60" in one corner.
IMG_4356.jpg

Thanks and again keep it coming it's inspiring.

For the autorack I would suggest nothing less than 22'' for function, but for looks I would go 24'' or bigger. As for a double deck layout in that room with a helix, and still be able to sleep someone might not be do able.

Good decision Kellan, I went with 28 and 31 and have had no problems.
Keep the material thin and laminate the layers for strength.

Thanks for your response earlier. In reading some response posts I saw one that asked about the black foam that you used in place of cork. Did you ever find the manufacture of the product. Also I guess you had to cut the beveled edges? I like the look and it might be cheaper. I found some today that is only 1/8" thick, I think that's too thin from a scale aspect.

The black foam was Woodland Scenics, but they were asking about the white foan iirc. That white foam is used in construction for under things like wood walls on concrete. I picked that stuff up for cheap at my local building supplies wholesale.

Back