June 2009 Photo Contest.

Old 97

Hogger
One of the most easily recognizable model of locomotives is the venerable F Units of EMD fame. Beginning with the FT in 1939 and ending in 1960 with the FL9, the mighty F’s are thought to be the best selling cab unit in history! It’s little wonder that the popularity of this great locomotive design has carried over into the realm of model railroading with a great many of us receiving an F unit as our first locomotive in a train set. It is with these thoughts in mind that I’m announcing the June 2009 Photo Contest Theme of*F Units!Show us the F units that live, work and play on your model railroad!!!

One entry per member please. To enter, follow the link, login to the gallery and upload your photo. Good luck to all and thanks for participating in the photo contests!

http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=600

*All models of F units and railroading activities qualify for this theme.

We interupt this photo contest for breaking news...........

Do to the overwhelming amount of inquiries, special requests and points of view, the dispatcher has rerouted the theme for this month's contest to *ANY OLD "F" will do!!!! If by any chance there is a locomotive plying the rails of your layout or sitting idle on a display shelf with the letter "F" anywhere in it's model designation, we want to see it!

But wait!! There's more!! If you have a locomotive that is by any way, shape or form remotely connected to any type of a "F" unit, we want to see it!!!

What's that sparky, you say you ain't got no modern diesel on your layout?? The most technologically advanced locomotive you have is belching steam and burning coal???
No problem!!! Act now and you can submit a picture of any steam locomotive with the numbers 00 through 100,000 or any one of the 26 letters in the english alphabet that's included in it's model designation!!!!

*Anything mentioned in the above post qualifies for this theme. Any type of locomotive with numbers or letters in it's model designation qualify for this theme. All types of railroading activities qualify for this theme too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people probably have the new (or old) Athearn F45s and FP45s. Then there were the F40PHs, built until the 1980s. Traditional F-units had been gone for a decade or so by the era I model but ATSF, BNSF, MKM and MRL F45s were still around.

Thanks for the less specific contest themes the last several months.

What about SD40-2F's and SD50F's and SD60F's? Do they count? I've got F40PH-2's as well!

I also have "classic" F-units if I have to use one of those too :)

(Looks at his 1925 layout) What the heck is an "F" unit???:confused: Wouldn't be one of them new fangled diseasally things they're gonna make, oh about 14 years into the future would it? :rolleyes:

Oh well, guess I'll just watch this month......:(:mad:;)

Changes made........

Dear friends, please refer to my original post in this thread as there have been some changes made to the theme for this month's contest. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Dear friends, please refer to my original post in this thread as there have been some changes made to the theme for this month's contest. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

ROFL!!! Poor guy. Just want you to know I have no problem with the original theme....... But since it has changed........ Hmmmm? Think I have an idea... :p;):D

LOL, Mike, sometimes you really get put through the wringer. I suspect you have about as broad a category as an of us rivet counters could want now. :)

?

I can't find the thread for June. Am I missing something.:confused:
The Theme works for me.

Okay, my entry may not win by how pretty it is, but the story behind it just might get some violins going.
Sorry for the long post but hey, it just may get me some votes! :D

When I was just a wee lad I bugged my folks for months to get me a Canadian National locomotive as all there was at the time were UP or AT&SF F units so a CN loco was indeed a rarity!
A week or two before Christmas my little brother and I were snooping around for hidden treasures when we peaked under Ma & Pa's bed and found a mysterious box.
Very carefully we opened it up and found, among other delights, a brand spanking new Minitrix N scale CNR F unit! It was a thing of beauty, better than anything I could ever dream of! I don't have to tell you that was the longest it ever took Christmas to get here.
When the momentous day did arrive I rushed up the stairs, knocked over my brothers like bowling pins and zeroed right in on the little package with my name on it.
I was in heaven. Totally unaware of the rest of the world.
I cradled my long awaited prize in my hands and raced downstairs to set it onto the tiny 2X3 oval of track next to my bed. I spun around the corner to the stairs, took two huge leaps to where the steps should have been and watched in horror as it tumbled from my hands thru the air in slow motion, coming to an abrupt end on the basement floor.
I was devastated.
Slowly I picked up the pieces and made my way over to my hobby table. A little glue managed to get the body back together but it would be some twenty years later until I replaced the gears and actually got to pull a train.
Recently I found it again and placed it in the display cabinet. A nephew of mine is getting into N scale and shows all the signs of becoming the next "Little Ricky".
I think he'll be getting this one.

Back