Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Hey everyone,

Last update was 3 weeks ago, therefore I was due for another.

My brother came over to help me install masonite for my backdrop and we manage to install about 24 feet. I was curious to see how the backdrop I had ordered would fit. It included the sand industry, the cement factory and the refinery. Personally, there's something that doesn't look right, the backdrop looks a bit cartoonish, looks like a drawing. The reason is that the resolution is very low, the trees seem s a bit blurry. For now I'll keep it like it is, but might change it when comparing with others to be done.

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

I finally got around to using my airbrush for the very first time. I did practice a bit on spare tracks before attacking the layout. Now I have 10 feet of main line done and it turn out to my satisfaction.

IMG_1957.jpg

I've also been working on putting stuff and people in buildings. The little office is the control center for the cement loading plant which is furnished with a desk, filing cabinets and a figure sitting on a chair. The other two are from the machine shop viewed from the outside and inside before installing the last wall and the roof. I still have to add an arc welding light with and Arduino before doing so.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Lastly, I started work on my brewery, got one of the many walls cut. This is the wall to the loading dock.

Brewery.jpg

This will be my last post here for a while.

The main reason is because of the lack of comments. Since my last post, there was 1,575 views but only one comment and since my last two posts, there was 3,016 and a total of 6 posts (5 + 1). It's always nice to see comments, in a way it encourages you to do better and keep going, which I get from elsewhere and not from here. The funny thing is that there's more posts in the coffee thread.

For the few (about 10 of you), I'm sorry for leaving but you can always follow my updates via my blog or Facebook page and would like to thank you for all your help.

Take care all
Hawkesbury, just because you're not getting a lot of comments does not mean we do not appreciate your progress posts. The number of views tells ya that. They certainly give me incentive to work on building mine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As for the blurry backdrop, I see what you mean. BUT, if you get a few things in front of the backdrop, like a few real trees, they will help the backdrop blend into the background.

I agree with KB. Once you get some buildings and landscaping in front of the backdrop, the blurryness should help add the illusion of distance.
Don't give up on the forum Lloyd. Just because we don't comment on every post doesn't mean we don't love the work you're doing. I love seeing the progress on your layout and especially your structure builds. Keep em coming.

Great bench work!!!

The sign of a craftsman is the work the individual does that maybe hidden during later phases of construction and likely no one will ever see in the finished product. Like...the precision you did building the bench work and how the spacing of the drywall screws is so uniform and thoroughly planned out.

Keep posting.

Greg

Forgive me for not making more comments. Lots of times, I have been so overwhelmed by your posts that I find it difficult to type a post with my chin on the floor!

Your work leaves me speechless!

I like the idea of the masonite backdrop, I was going to do the same but one basement window was too close to the corner and it just wouldn't work out for the masonite. Your upper lite valance looks good. The backdrop will look good once you display buildings in front.

From my experience on a number of forums, with a wide variety of subject matter, it seems like the ratio of views to comments is generally several hundred to one. Don't be discouraged.

Lloyd,

I'll second, or third or 11th, please reconsider. Like Willie, I don't do Facebook. I've really enjoyed watching the progress. I get both encouragement and inspiration, plus a few ideas worth stealing, er, borrowing, er, copying. I'm sure like many others, I just don't know what to say, other than a quick "Neat" or "Great job", which would seem, to me, to be kind of redundant to others saying the same thing.

Thanks everyone,
Sorry for the hasted comment, frustration on the lack of comments took hold of me. I've been very happy here with everyone's help.
Sometimes I just wonder if I'm doing things right or could of done things better. I've been in this hobby for only 2 years and prior to that, I had no notion of this hobby nor even about trains.

I will continue to post and I do hope you'll continue to comment. (GOOD or bad).

I've got a question,
I think I made a mistake in buying Cryogenic tank cars. Could some one shine the light on when did they come to exist (year) and on a layout, where would they come from and where would they go? (for operations)
Same with Starch chemical tank cars.

Thank You

Lloyd - Glad that you had a change of heart. Your layout continues to impress me, especially for someone who is a newbie!!!
I can give you some information regarding the cryogenic tank cars from American RR's point of view. They were built in the early 60's for use in hauling liquid hydrogen, but were soon put to use hauling liquid argon as well. That would put them out of service by the late 90's/early 00's when they were approaching their 40 year allowable life span. Most were retired much earlier as the design wasn't generally suitable for rail shipments. The suspensions were the weak link as well as the valves. They were subject to extended maintenance down time to deal with the suspensions. Many times when a journey took over a week (most of the time) a good percentage of the hydrogen had vented out from all of the sloshing and subsequent pressure build-up. I know that there are newer designs now, but I cannot recall the specifics since I didn't pay a lot of attention. The argon tankers originated in South Texas at air-processing plants and were sent to the Midwest and West Coast. I'm sure that they made it into Canada as well.
I cannot shed any light on starch tankers as I never researched them either.

Willie

Thanks Willie,

I have a refinery and a propane industry, would they be use in those industries or some other industry?
The era I'm doing is the 70's (early and late)
Since I have propane tank cars from Liquid Air, I thought that these would fit in, so here's a picture of what I got.
BLICryogenicTankCars91220168of24_1.png

Lloyd - To my knowledge neither industry uses either liquid hydrogen or liquid argon. In the 70's, argon as a gas was used as a more humane manner to slaughter chickens and in industry as an inert atmosphere to do stuff in. It was generally transported as a liquid as it was much more dense thus requiring less space. Hydrogen's main use is as a fuel, mainly powering rockets and other spaceships. If I had any cryogenic tankers, I would just use them as "run-thru" traffic on manifest freights.
I was not aware that Liquid Air was in the propane business.

Willie

Yes Canadian Liquid Air is in the propane business, one of my neighbors as 2 tanks, which reminds me I need to take a picture for weathering.

Last question, with all my industries, is there any operation use for those cryogenic tanks on my layout or use them as extra cars on a long haul.

Thanks for the help

Lloyd - I don't remember all of your industries off the top of my head, but of those that I do remember the answer is no. Cement, propane, refinery and flour mill are the ones that I recall. I would just use the tankers as filler on "long haul" or as I call them "through freights" or "manifest freights" that don't stop and serve any industries along the way.

Willie

Lloyd,

FWIW, I've enjoyed your posts, if for no other reason than to see what someone who's come into the hobby can do, quickly, like you've done. I've been in the hobby since I was a kid in the 70's, and hope to be in the hobby at least a while longer. Since about 2000, I've had enough space, layoutwise, to essentially do 'whatever I want,' so I've found it interesting to see how you've decided to use your rather 'large space.'

Everybody can or does get discouraged at times; I know I do. I've been 'at it' long enough to know that 'this too shall pass,' and not to let my frustrations, or 'the internet trolls,' get the better of me. FWIW, I've found these forums to be filled with plenty of people, with good ideas, whom are willing to share what they've learned, whether they're 'old timers,' or 'newbies,' as well as a few people whom are having bad days, as well as a few trolls. Generally, the trolls the Admins take care of, or go away on their own, and the folks whom have had 'bad days,' generally come around, and most forum members here are pretty forgiving.

Keep on making progress with the layout and hobby, and 'live and learn.' 'Model railroading is fun,' or should be.

Otis/Carl

Back