Double Track Wooden Trestle

Iron Horseman

Can anyone think of an instance where a wooden trestle is used for a double track line. In all the photo's I've seen through the years I cannot think of a single instance of such a thing.

Try this site. Pretty good search engine too.
http://bridgehunter.com/

Yolo Bypass in California was a double wooden trestle bridge. Google Maps 38.573405, -121.606571
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/p/70503/858043.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
This is on the double track mainline of my empire.

Finished Bridge.jpg

I have seen photos of real Gauntlet double track trestles. However, I have to say I agree that I have never seen a real double tracked wood trestle. I'm also saying that it would seem reasonable on busy mainlines that double tracked wood trestles would be used. Looking at the part of the Butte Short line that I model, with Google Earth, it can be seen that many of the trestles built along this right of way have been filled in with dirt. My guess is that many trestles end up being buried in fill. Could this have happened to double tracked wood trestles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. My guess was that if the track was busy enough to need a double track that the railroad would have gone for a more substantial structure. But I am convinced that for the 2 feet or so that I need to cover I can go ahead and make a double track trestle, and not be too unprototypical.

Thanks for all the replies. My guess was that if the track was busy enough to need a double track that the railroad would have gone for a more substantial structure. But I am convinced that for the 2 feet or so that I need to cover I can go ahead and make a double track trestle, and not be too unprototypical.

It's the intricate detail that makes it appropriate.

There's a four track wooden trestle not far from here in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Okay, it's only twenty or thirty feet long and maybe ten feet high, but it's still a trestle. :)
It's right next to a single track trestle too.

Look up 1836 Dublin Avenue in Winnipeg on maps then look just east.

Back