Computer room Switching layout

Well, she'll definetly not be running by Christmas day, but its getting VERY close.

I've decided to "edge" the layout with WS plaster cloth, to add a little more rigidity to the foam core. It'll also allow for easier attachment of the lightweight backdrop, and smoother joints between the modules. I just need to finish up the leg framing, and the basic foam surface features first.

I've also debated adding a thin wood veneer of sorts, to the front of the layout, for a more finished look. 1/8" thick strips cost about $2.50 or so, at Lowes, and I can pick them up next time I go, along with another foam board.

Anyone know of a cheaper solution to clamping the boards togeather, I really do not want to shell out the cash for the WS module boards, but if need be, thats what I'll be using.

Josh, there lots of great ideas on the N-Trak Module web sites. Includung using hardwood end boards for clamping(the hard wood won't compress) and hardwood plugs at the bottom of the legs for leveling. Your layout looks great!! Keep up the good work!

Josh, there lots of great ideas on the N-Trak Module web sites. Includung using hardwood end boards for clamping(the hard wood won't compress) and hardwood plugs at the bottom of the legs for leveling. Your layout looks great!! Keep up the good work!
Hey thanks, I'm checking out the Anderson Power Pole thing right now, I might go with that on my layout for the feeder inter connectors between the sections.

I have a 10' X 12' spare bedroom that my wife has graciously allowed me to have. I'm considering the Bend Trak design so that I can change the look of the layout if I get tired. I'm working on how to make grade changes.

Looking better all the time!
I love modeling abandoned track, good to see you included some.
Makes a good scene when you add some workers and MOW stuff!
Have you thought of adding a team track for more variety?
Also I'd suggest moving your scrap yard West track switch up closer to the upper East switch. You won't need the long lead in, and you'll fit some beat up old houses or offices there.
I'll be adding a scrap yard to my new section soon.
Rico

I was debating just paving around the "locomotive spur" and using it as a team track of sorts.

Moving the switch is workable, I'll see what I can do. I added the 3rd spur and such as an optional storage track.

I'll see when I get the track in.

I'm getting there. Needed sand paper for the edges, and a sanding block to hold it. I'm going to do the bulk of the sanding, and start plaster clothing tomorrow (got a bit delayed). Maybe I can get something done this time.

Say Josh,
Glad to see your getting a plan down, I like your last revision, it's clean and efficient along with providing more operation.

A question, would it be benificial for the long siding to the Left on the Right leg to to inter connect with the track on the right to form another run-a-round in case you needed it?

Maybe, hadn't thought of that, I'll look into to it. I've taken Rico's suggestion, on the scrap yard area, and modified it to include a single stall engine house, for my custom paint work...

Need to throw an update on here.

First we have a shot of my new planned use of the corner. What I've changed? Well the Red Wing Milling building, I picked up in a lot, trying to get a New River Mining for my dad, and the ADM Grain elevator pictured here. I've been trying to find a good use, and I think I've solved it. This fills in the grain complex. I might try to add more though. :eek:
View attachment 8228

And this is for Maxi, proof the modules hold their own weight, plus a good 6 pounds more (Cat + Grain Elevator + Red Wing Milling).
View attachment 8229

Sure man, I'll try to get another update this weekend (I know I've failed on that a few times now). Progress is slowed now, I'm mostly assembling buildings, but I'm also working on laying out the track plan now.

I was going to cover the whole layout with drywall compound, but I've decided that using the track plan, just simply gluing it to the foam, will work well enough. I'll then glue the foam road bed on top of that.

Slowly working on adding more terrain features as well.

That'd take a fair amount of drywall mud too I'd think. Putting the buildings together always seems to take awhile to get em right. At least for me. Cant wait to see some progress pics!

Yeah, I've been filling the gaps between the foam chunks, works fine. Along with gluing the track plan down, I should be ok. I'll get a few pics up tonight.

Back