Computer room Switching layout

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I'm getting tired of not having a decent place to shoot picture, or even a spot to run trains....

I've decided that a small (sort of) switching layout, on an all foam base will fit well in my computer/train room. A majority of it will be under 1' deep, with a small 3x3 section on one end, and a 1' 4" wide island along the window, ending next to my computer.

So far I've come up with a simple track plan, with some of the installed buildings on XtrkCad placed, to get a feel for what I can fit.

The lower left will be a small 3 track yard, maybe a Pike Stuff engine house, or something in there. Above that will be a grain complex and some warehouses, probably a scratch built one, to match the turn (I've seen a prototype do there, her in San Diego).

To the right you'll see a passing siding, of sorts, the mainline shoots straight down the middle, but depending one which side of the layout you're switching, depends on which side of the passing siding you block. The island branch crosses back over the main, just so I can have a level crossing.

Radius is 22", code 83 track, all #6 Atlas switches, one #4 though, for the short run around on the island.

Let me know what you think, and if you think there's any kinks yo be worked out.

Is the short spur on the lower right a switcher pocket?

How do you figure on running it? What's your operational plan?

I know you're just doodling, but I'm not convinced you can fit those buildings on the left to address the track (or real world get the track to the buildings.)

I know all to well about having a place to run while you get up muster to build the Big One.

Josh,

Is the long 'bottom' section going to be against a wall? The reason I ask is because you might have "reach" issues in that lower-left industrial area: 36 inches deep and a structure blocking the small yard you have there...

Is the short spur on the lower right a switcher pocket?

How do you figure on running it? What's your operational plan?

I know you're just doodling, but I'm not convinced you can fit those buildings on the left to address the track (or real world get the track to the buildings.)
Not sure what you're trying to say there? As for operating, not sure, yet, still working on that! The shot spur will represent an abandoned 2nd level crossing to an industry just beyond the tracks. Now its just a wasted spur... :eek:

Josh,

Is the long 'bottom' section going to be against a wall? The reason I ask is because you might have "reach" issues in that lower-left industrial area: 36 inches deep and a structure blocking the small yard you have there...
Sort of yes. The wall there on the far left only sticks out 2' then there's an short "hallway" between two closets (train storage closets). Though that does raise the question of reaching OVER the supposed grain tower there. Hummm...

I think I might kill the yard idea in the rear still, maybe play with the plan. No worries about "fitting" the buildings, they're just tests to see what fits, according to XtrkCad... They'll change, minus the crane to the upper right.

I'll tweak a little tomorrow morning, thanks for the input guys!

I think the lower left section is too deep. I have a section that is 24" deep and is 48" off the floor. It is all I can do to reach the back, but I'm only 5'4".

Deleted to give the original thread its room - moved to new thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a "new" plan, all I did was remove the structures, and add in the extra space for the closet hall. Lets you get a feel for the depth I'd have to reach. I'll do the track plan tweaking now...

You have enough space to start your yard further to the right to give your two short tracks more than 1 car capacity without changing your switching operations.

Bring it off the passing siding where the stub track in the center is.

I think it looks good...glad to see ya doing something besides doing all that building and such. Time to enjoy your work even if it is on a shelf layout.
I have a shelf layout that is 24" deep and 10 feet long and that is it. It good for now until I build my big lay out #3. I had a big one 10 years ago but am planning for a new one again.

Chip, I eliminated that yard completely, opting for a temp staging yard in the closet hall now. Thanks to all for pointing it out, I had not thought about the switching ability at that depth.

Here's V1.2 of the track plan, with the closet space accounted for. The door is in its of nook to the top left, so I have plenty of space for that temp section there to the left to cross to another industry.

I added some text to describe my current visions. I think I'll be adding a station to the middle, just so that I can "stop" Amtrak trains & shoot them there.

The layout will be 100% foam built, with an additional 1" WS riser added to the top. I might drop in a road underpass or two, just for some interesting bridge shots. It will be supported on 1x2 legs with a 1x4 on its side a each module joint. I'll probably run a 1x4 or 1x2 between each leg to the rear, to keep the legs from moving. No lengthwise support on the front, I'll rely on each module to support it's self there.

I've revised it again, the whole, switching the grain complex off the main bothered me all day while I was at work.

V1.3 now.

One more tweak, added the diagonal backdrop, and one more siding at the Grain complex. This'll make V1.4.

Construction is beginning, I've picked up a number of the wood parts needed. I'll start posting construction updates once I get all the parts needed to build.

Well, we're getting there, day by day I attach more foam to foam. I've built one leg setup so far, and I'm starting another right now. I should have about 1/2 of the layout semi-set-up this Saturday, in time for the WPF.

So, I've been re-thinking my construction idea for the legs. They're not ending up square, they get a bit skewed. Not surface wise though, like, if the top frame is 90 degrees to the wall, the bottom frame is somewhere around 85 or so. Lucky its not effecting the surface, however, the foam modules want to warp under their own weight!

So, I've opted to go with an "H" top frame, instead of the "U" previously planned. The 1x4 board that was originally to be used along the back to tie the legs togeather, will now ride between the top plates, to hold them togeather, and double as a support for the center of the module.

I've gotten allot togeather today, partially because my boss let me go home after an hour of work. I plan to add more foam frames tonight, and do a bit of wood work tomorrow on more legs, and the center beam to the "H" frame.

It may be too late, but if possible I would at least consider using a "transfer table" style staging, like many modular clubs use. 3 or 4 parallel tracks, all the same lebgth, mounted on a table that slides back and forth. You line up the track of your choice and run the train out. Less switches and more room for storage, instead of being wasted on ladder tracks.

I've even seen one fellow reccomend "cassetes", storage track that can be placed on shelves, then brought up and connected to the end of the staging track.

There's nothing wrong with your design, and it will work fine, I just mention this other approach since it provides more actual storage. It may or may not be suited for your application.

Sounds interesting Bob! I had not thought of that myself. The big issue seems to reside in the fact that the staging space is very compact. I'm pretty much using up everything there is to allow for it. I'm not sure how I could pull off squeezing in a transfer table style.

It would be feasable to modify the sating now, as I have not yet started on it (it'll be the last portion I work on), however, I'm not sure what else I could do. Half the opening into the actually closet (where the staging turns 90 degrees will be taken up by the closet doors.

Back