Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Well I've been working on the elevator project off and on today. Printed up three wall plates just to see how it would look. Lots of work to do on that yet. My work area is a disaster area!

It's been raining all day, sometimes just a sprinkle, other times coming down in buckets. Radar shows more nasty stuff on the way. Rain chance tonight is 100%, tomorrow 90%. In plain language, wet!

Powers been out several times today. At least today had a reason. Over the last week the power has gone out more than two dozen times and never for long, just a few seconds to a minute then back on so it can work on ruining ac units and fridges. They don't like that on and off stuff one bit and neither do I.

Well it's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.
cond100.jpg

P1011693.jpg

As Jeff has said they are different, the helical cut gear in his upper pic is what is normally found in the typical manual automobile gearbox where 2 similar gears mesh together but have the shafts they turn or turn on, parallel to each other.

The worm gears on the other hand are used where you want to have the driven gear attached to a shaft driving at right angles to the other (used in differentials etc). Also you can see that the teeth on the driven gear are concave in shape to match the worm's radius.

I wondered because if you stand up the worm gear vertically...it resembles a model railroad helix.....or a DNA molecule helix. But naming the gear types came out differently....which I am ok with. :)

Mike

I wondered because if you stand up the worm gear vertically...it resembles a model railroad helix.....or a DNA molecule helix. But naming the gear types came out differently....which I am ok with. :)

Mike

Mike, the helical gear is differentiated from a straight cut gear. They both can do the same thing, though the helical gear tends to mesh more smoothly and the straight gear is more rugged. This is the difference between two models of 567 EMD engines. The earlier one had straight cut gears, and the later one had helical cut gears on the cam.

the helical gear tends to mesh more smoothly and the straight gear is more rugged. This is the difference between two models of 567 EMD engines. The earlier one had straight cut gears, and the later one had helical cut gears on the cam.
Now that you mention it...I can see what your saying about the how the gear types have slightly different qualities or properties. In reading stuff online I found out that for a time in 1950's or 60's, EMD 567 diesel engines for F-units were built right here in small town mount vernon, ohio at cooper-bessemer.......which later became cooper industries making compressors.....which was I guess was taken over by rolls-royce energy systems which occupies the site now and is still expanding.

Mike

Now that you mention it...I can see what your saying about the how the gear types have slightly different qualities or properties. In reading stuff online I found out that for a time in 1950's or 60's, EMD 567 diesel engines for F-units were built right here in small town mount vernon, ohio at cooper-bessemer.......which later became cooper industries making compressors.....which was I guess was taken over by rolls-royce energy systems which occupies the site now and is still expanding.

Mike

And the GE FDL engine was a Cooper Bessemer design.
It's surprising where tidbits of trivia lead, and what we learn just following little threads.

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Sunday, September 30, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

newhaven4.png

New Haven IN depot

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

And the GE FDL engine was a Cooper Bessemer design.
It's surprising where tidbits of trivia lead, and what we learn just following little threads.
Yes it is.....Well I went back, found and re-read the article about the prime movers built here in mount vernon and it sounds like they were GE FDL engines for Alco locomotives, and not the EMD 567's. Glad you helped me get it right.

Here is a link to the short paragraph, down the page right next to the photo of the technician working on a bank of cylinders.

http://railroadlocomotives.blogspot.com/2010/12/even-more-general-electric-brochure.html

Mike

Good Morning!!

Weather here be sunny and a little bit of cloud...very dry as well

Hello!! I spent a couple of days cuddled up in bed with the rum toddies and the quilts and now is all better...especially since I just finished the ding dang cancer treatments......now I am all well again!!:eek::)

Off to check the rest of the forums!!:)

Yes it is.....Well I went back, found and re-read the article about the prime movers built here in mount vernon and it sounds like they were GE FDL engines for Alco locomotives, and not the EMD 567's. Glad you helped me get it right.

Here is a link to the short paragraph, down the page right next to the photo of the technician working on a bank of cylinders.

http://railroadlocomotives.blogspot.com/2010/12/even-more-general-electric-brochure.html

Mike
It's easy to get confused by all this stuff. BTW, I don't think any contemporary ALCo locomotives used the FDL, that was pretty much after GE split up with them around 1953 or so. ALCo's engines were the 538, 539, 244, and 251 models. Those designations were the month and year they were first fired up. The 251 was first fired up for testing in February of 1951.

Good morning America! I'm home for the first time in over three weeks and the wife, as well as the dogs, was happy to see me.:p Got home yesterday a little after noon and got to go see some family and get caught up on all the goings on. I have to go back later today and may have until Friday at the latest to work. We set the head on the reactor Tuesday and everything is put back together. All that is left is loading equipment into trucks for transport to the next outage.

I hope to have a little time between jobs so I can get caught up with the stuff that needs to be done around the house and maybe even get a start on my new layout.:cool:

Got to go, the wife is ready to go out for breahfast!

Hi and thanks for responding!

It's auto-compensated transmissive IR. (Not reflective). It'll easily detect across
several feet.

Good morning. Great weather we have here if you're a duck! Temp: 72°. Humidity 100%. Rainfall 0.07" since 12am. Mostly cloudy. Wind gusts 15 mph ESE.
cond70.jpg

No outdoor activity planned today. I'm not into water sports. It looks like the wet weather is moving out.

Today I'll likely make some small changes on the wall plates for the grain elevator or I may leave it like it is.

P9190186.jpg

Hi and thanks for responding!

It's auto-compensated transmissive IR. (Not reflective). It'll easily detect across
several feet.

Ok, tell us more, or even better yet, show us what you've got to offer, you may find the interest level goes up when there is something to ooooh & aaaahh over!

Mornin everyone!

Flo, just coffee, gotta run soon, no rest for the weary!

Barry, glad to see you're feelin better!

Sold my enclosed trailer via email last night, woohoo, funds for the layout, cuz I'm not doin the traveling dog & pony show known as modular railroading any more!!:D:D:D:D:D

Calling for rain later today, got some yard work to do, catch y'all later!

Good morning. Great weather we have here if you're a duck! Temp: 72°. Humidity 100%. Rainfall 0.07" since 12am. Mostly cloudy. Wind gusts 15 mph ESE.
cond70.jpg

No outdoor activity planned today. I'm not into water sports. It looks like the wet weather is moving out.

Today I'll likely make some small changes on the wall plates for the grain elevator or I may leave it like it is.

P9190186.jpg
I resurrected my old web-page and posted the .doc file for the RR Flasher kit. I hope
you'll find it understandable, I haven't had any help with a critique of it.

http://ballroom.home.mchsi.com/

Rich

Good afternoon folks.

It's my first day off in two weeks and I'm making the most of it. I shampooed the basement carpet so the whole house is done now. Then I went to town to buy a few things then washed my car after lunch. Now I'm waiting to see if my river is truly water tight or if the envirotex light finds that it's not! I added some umber and black to the mix. While mixing it I thought I'd gone overboard with the paint. Now seeing it after it's poured I think it's just right for the bottom layer. The next poor will be clear to give it some depth. This is one of those things I've been meaning to do for a year so it feels good finally doing it. Now I just have to hope it cures properly.

Time to get back to my day off.

Have a good one folks.

Back