Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Hey Hey, I actually have a green light from the misses to buy the Bachmann Rs 3!:) I know I could have just bought the dang thing, but it's much better having permission instead of getting the look when it just shows up!
Asking permission in any adult relationship is easy to do and can make a big difference....and if you don't get permission.....then hopefully that look can be avoided by having her be at the hairdresser when the mailman comes with the new gear. :eek::rolleyes::D

Mike

I am writing this from my sprawling new upstairs bungalow high above Compressor City......(because we are known for local compressor factories). Almost half done moving stuff. Since internet is here now....this is my first night sleep up here. Life is slowly getting better. :)

Back to get another load.

Mike

Nice work Jeffrey. Are you using PVC cement to glue them together?
That's not in the plan. The plan is for the silos to be mounted on a piece of wood. It's been my experience PVC cement doesn't stick to that very well. JB Weld does a much better job. As for the glue inside the silos to help anchor the plaster, that's ordinary Elmer's Glue-All.

I've been looking at some of the paint colors I have and found one I like. It's a mis-tint satin latex I picked up from Lowe's called 'Silver Bells'. At this point the test tube is the only one that's painted.

P1011651.jpg

#4 Jeffrey, with a light overspray of white, just enough to lighten the brown!
Kinda like this
(behind the locos!:rolleyes:)

Attachments

• Midland tripletsa.jpg
    Midland tripletsa.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 152
Now that you've gone and gotten the PVC, I remembered CPVC. It comes naturally with a tannish-brown color.
And isn't sold here bigger than 1" inside diameter. A nice thought though.

Time for me to call it a night. You all know by now what I've been up to today so I won't waste your time and mine with a recap. The grain elevator project is starting to come together and is quite honestly one of the most ambitious projects I've undertaken in many years and is the first scratch build I've dared to tackle since 2003. I'm hoping it'll turn out as good as much of my past work did but I was much more physically able then. See y'all tomorrow.

IMAG0005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for a concrete color, that silver bells looks pretty close. Just a bit of streaking with black weathering powders to tone it down and dullcoat.

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Thursday, September 27, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

UNION_STA_INDPLS20.png

Union station, Indianapolis-1920s

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good Mordig...

I still hab this stubid code as you cad see by by tybig. I thig it bust be that creepig crud Lee eded ub with....ad spellcheg is goig duts with by tybig skills here....

As var as weather goes aroud here, we are loogig ad a high dear 68F ad a bix of sud ad gloud lader od..righd dow we are ad 54F....AAACCCHHHIIIINNSSKIIII!!!!!...HONK sniff sniff...

I thig I will go to the bag bood and cuddle ub ith the rub toddy ad by blanky...:mad::(

First night in new apartment was restful. The air conditioner and gas furnace both work instantly from the digital wall control and are super quiet.....both units located in attic. During the day it's warm and humid so had the AC running. Then early this morning it was chill enough to ask for a couple degrees of heat please.

My original mover helper retired yesterday for personal reasons.....so last night I found a new one to help with final few large items. Four days left.....sore back moves slow.....should be able to git 'er done. Did not know I had this much stuff. :rolleyes:

Mike

Good morning. It's 69° with 97% humidity. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 88°.
cond026.gif

Well as far as the color selection for the silos goes I still haven't made up my mind. So far there's been at least one vote each color. There was even a vote for the color (silver bells) on the test piece. It's a grayish color like concrete. So far at two votes each the favorites seem to be #1 (far left) stone gray and #4 the grayish brown.

1 Stone gray ******* (far left)

2 Yellow *

3 Dark green *

4 Light brown ***

5 Dark smoke gray * (far right)

6 Silver bells (test color) *

th_P1011655.jpg

Today I'll be rough sanding the silos to get them ready for painting. I sanded a couple last night and I like the look of them. I'm using a P150 sanding cloth. I'll also hit them with the sanding drum on the Dremel. I used that on the test piece yesterday and it had a somewhat rough texture like old concrete. After all I don't want it looking brand new. And I still have to pick a color.

P1010053.jpg

gonecrazy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks.

After being around a sick wife and sick coworker for weeks I think my immune system finally gave up. I woke up with a sore throat and now feel foggy. You know, when you feel hungover and you haven't had a drink!:( I sure hope I don't feel worse as the day goes on.

Jeffrey, my vote is for the stone gray and weather afterwards. Either that or the light tan and do the same.

Nothing much new around my world other than feeling crappy and being stuck at work.:rolleyes: We have a busy few days here and then I have Sunday off. I hope to pour my river that day so I better feel healthy by then. I don't want to screw something up on my trestle section which is my pride and joy.

Other than that I don't know much. My new loco and paint should be here in a week or so. I hope to paint it before it gets too cold to use my airbrush in the garage.

Have a good day everyone.

Well I finished roughing up the silos and vacuumed the PVC dust off of them. I took them out outside and stood them open end down on the handle of my old gas grill so the remannts of tghe glue can drain out of them. I also sprayed them down with Krylon Matte Finish. That'll make them a bit easier to paint. I'll be using a 1/4" Testor's paint brush for that. The paint (so far looking to be the stone gray) is Valspar satin household latex.

Believe that I will go along with Karl: #4. There is a very modern man'f. here that has silos like that...maybe a little lighter and towards tan. All the older grain or concrete companies I've seen were a dingy weathered white.

Well the poll is closed and the vote is in. Fourteen votes (not including mine, David's and my fathers) and seven of them are for the stone gray. So stone gray it will be. I'll start on the painting this evening. The color has no 'real' name other than mis-tint. I picked it up for a buck at Lowe's two years ago. Valspar satin latex house paint. Cheap stuff but when your budget is a shoestring frayed to a thread you learn not to be picky.

Well that's one part of the operation done. The silos have been painted and have been sprayed with Matte Finish. I'm waiting for them to dry then I'll turn them and spray the other side.

P1011667.jpg

Silos are done for now. The next step will be to start designing the accompanying structures. These will be made of card stock for the most part.

P1011668.jpg

Back