Building The CMMR

I've enjoyed looking at some of the past photos and ideas you have used on this layout, and the construction. By the way, I am new to this entire process, but man, the work you've done looks professional in design and execution.

I've enjoyed looking at some of the past photos and ideas you have used on this layout, and the construction. By the way, I am new to this entire process, but man, the work you've done looks professional in design and execution.

Thanks ScottoT!

My layout is pretty basic compared to most other people on the forum, and everything that I have done is based on knowledge that I have gained from this forum and other people's websites and blogs.

I haven't touched the layout lately, as summer here is just too short not to get out and enjoy. This winter I hope to get back to working on the layout itself and not on any more locomotives!

Now that fall is here I have started getting back into the layout. My first project has been a Walthers Grain Elevator kit. I based the finished look off of an elevator in Miniota, Manitoba that I used to visit every summer in my youth. I did the weathering with by brushing on some wash made out of cheap acrylic paint mixed with washer fluid. I designed the decals in Gimp and printed them onto Testors decal paper with our HP Inkjet.

All in all I am very happy with the way it turned out. Next project is a Walthers Distribution Facility kit.

Miniota Elevator.jpgP1030359.jpg
P1030757.jpgP1030766.jpg

And yet more pictures... I apologize for the rotation on some of them but I do not know how to change it. Perhaps someone can tell me?

P1030792.jpgP1030786.jpg

P1030785.jpgP1030788.jpg

Gary,
I echo others' comments about the highly realistic appearance of the grain elevator as well as other photos you've posted. I'm new to the hobby, too, and get as many ideas as I can from model railroaders like you who have the experience and expertise and share it with all of us. I was not aware of the Gimp software nor did I know you could get decal paper and print your own decals. That opens up a whole new "world" for me and will add an extra touch of realism to many of the structures I'm building for our layout.
Thanks for sharing.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Outstanding modelling my friend, well done!
You could take that elevator for a ride out to Miniota, you might end up with a new career here... :cool:
Meant to catch up with you at the last Mega Train but ran out of time.
I see there's another show coming up next month?

Outstanding modelling my friend, well done!
You could take that elevator for a ride out to Miniota, you might end up with a new career here... :cool:
Meant to catch up with you at the last Mega Train but ran out of time.
I see there's another show coming up next month?

Hey Rick - how have you been? Haven't seen you post in a while.

I didn't stick around the Mega Train show long - just bought a couple of things.

Where is this other show?

If hobby shops keep closing in town like they have been that will be the only way to buy anything locally.

Been busy doing I don't know what, not on the net so much since that crack to the noggin.
Yeah down to three hobby shops now, not including Alex that is.
Gotta get together one of these years!
I'll post this here for anyone interested in the upcoming show, no idea what to expect from it.

IMG_1861.JPG

This is in Winnipeg, MB for those who are wondering.

I always thought wheat provided plenty of carbohydrates for sustained energy, but seeing that wheat needed elevators to get to the top of a building instead of using the stairs, I'll have to revise my breakfast habits.

Gary - You did a really fantastic job on that grain elevator. They're a very common sight around here and you really captured what these structures look like. Well done. Thumb up.gif

I'm with you on the modular idea! We move often in our life times and even though I haven't, it could have easily happened had things gone differently. Great work and I'd like to stop in now and then to see how your doing!

If you consider 90 miles to be near; than yes, I am close to Fargo. I have never been to Winnipeg; but, would love to do so! My closest Hobby Shop is in Fargo, so I do get over there maybe once a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark I'll be in Detroit Lakes on Saturday, did the guys at Raceway ever reopen the hobby shop?

Sorry to hijack your thread there Gary! You want me to keep an eye out for anything in my travels?

I was at the Washington Mall in Detroit Lakes last April and the Raceway Hobby Shop was no more.

I received my NCE USB interface module last week and got it hooked up along with JMRI. Seeing as I don't have a laptop I have it hooked up to my crude programming track that I can take upstairs to our PC. I just swap out our printer cord for the USB connection.

With the limited amount of time I have spent on JMRI so far I am very impressed, and can see why so many people use it. It is so much easier to program a decoder.

For more info on the install you can go to my web page.

P1030816.jpgP1030818.jpg

P1030817.jpgScreen3.jpg

I'm thinking of switching over to NCE, I'll have to get your opinion on everything!
Problem is I have sooooo much invested in Digitrax.....

Hey Gary,

Nice work
I also need to get a NCE USB interface module for my layout. I will have a programmable track on my work bench which is where I want to do all my programming and later to be able to connect to probably JMRI

Hey Gary,

Nice work
I also need to get a NCE USB interface module for my layout. I will have a programmable track on my work bench which is where I want to do all my programming and later to be able to connect to probably JMRI

A popular concept, I'm going to connect the line I have on the bench with a DPDT switch so I can "drive" em right off the program track onto the layout.

Back