Search results

1. Chevron_GATX

Anyone willing to paint my N-scale Kato FP40H for a few $$$?

Kato F40PH (N-scale) Here's my current N-scale Metrolink livery (I only need one F40PH painted): • Athearn F59PHIs x3: #881, #882, #882 (need to re-number): 1988-1994 • Kato F40PHs x2: #800, #800 (need to re-number to #840; re-paint to early-scheme): 1974-1992 EMD; 1988-1996 MK/MPI...
  2. Chevron_GATX

Does anyone know if Kato USA will honor warranty repair for locos bought from Japan?

I bought a Kato Portram from a third-party Amazon seller, and about a month later the Portram inexplicably stopped working. The lights turn on, but the motors are silent (i.e., the loco is receiving power through its wheels, but the motors won't run). I've cleaned the wheels to no avail. Does...
  3. Chevron_GATX

Scenic cement, matte-medium, Mod Podge matte?

Matte-medium + surfactants: Which ones? I was experimenting with gluing my non-sanded grouts that I use for dirt and some ground foams and tried Woodland Scenics' scenic cement. I was impressed with its performance. The scenic cement didn't discolor my grout, and everything sealed up nicely...
  4. Chevron_GATX

N-scale: Building the 105 freeway.

Building modern concrete freeways: Both BLMA and Rix highway products are simply too small to mimic modern multi-lane freeways, so I think I'm going to attempt to build my own. I think it'll be one of those "cross-section" models where the roadway bisects the layout, beginning with a...
  5. Chevron_GATX

Scenic design: Possible framework materials for creating "rolling hills."

I need to craft some rolling hills to model a hilly section of Los Angeles which contains a field of oil derricks. I'm trying to think of a "dry" process which doesn't involve using plasters. My first idea was to construct some kind of framework onto which I could drape Woodland Scenics'...
  6. Chevron_GATX

N-scale: Busch 160:1 vehicles vs. Kato 150:1 vehicles.

N-scale: Busch 160:1 vehicles vs. Kato vehicles. I know that some Tomix models N-scale in 150:1, but despite the original thread title, I'm unsure if Kato models their vehicles at 1:150 or 1:160. I'm about to buy some N-scale vehicles from Busch (Germany). I'm assuming that most or all European...
  7. Chevron_GATX

First attempt at weathering an N-scale SD45 with PanPastels' weathering powders:

I chose a brand new Kato SD45 as my test loco. So far, I've only used burnt sienna from PanPastels' "Rust & Earth" weathering kit, and black, titanium white, and Paynes grey from the "greys" kit. Without first looking for an appropriate prototype photo to work from, I just dove in and gave it a...
  8. Chevron_GATX

Rigid-foam insulation: Pink stuff or blue stuff?

I see most here using the pink stuff, but for whatever reason the only Home Depots which carry pink stuff is further away. The blue stuff is available much closer. Why do you pick pink over blue? • Owens Corning FOAMULAR • R-Tech INSULFOAM Also, the Owens Corning product is "scored." Is this...
  9. Chevron_GATX

Los Angeles Metro Rail Nippon Sharyo P2020:

Boy, do I love these (not my photos). These are the light-rail cars used in the Los Angeles Metro system which includes ground-level, subway, and elevated track, some running down the center of major freeways. I wish someone made N-scale models of these! I found some Kato and Tomix models that...
  10. Chevron_GATX

Does anyone use Krylon dulling spray (instead of Dull-Cote)?

Dulling spray is an industry-standard removable spray used in film and TV production to reduce reflections. Has anyone used it in a modeling application? I want to dull certain scenery items, but I may also want the option to change my mind and "un-dull" it. I've read that Testors' Dull-Cote...
  11. Chevron_GATX

N-scale Atlas GP35 loud "gear noise" fixable?

As I've mentioned in other threads, I recently bought a pile of used Kato and Atlas EMD/GE locos. Most run great, but one older Atlas GP35 is noisy as hell. It sounds like, "Whhhrrzzzzzz . . . " Is this due to motor age, gear-lash, bearing-wear, etc.? Is it fixable? I bought a variety of track...
  12. Chevron_GATX

N-scale InterMountain SD40T-2 shell won't "click" onto its chassis! Any ideas?

Hey, guys! I could really use your help here: I bought a used InterMountain SD40T-2, and the shell won't "click" onto its chassis! I set the light-blocking piece where I thought it should go (I don't know if that's placed correctly or not), but even when I removed it, I still can't get the front...
  13. Chevron_GATX

Best asphalt/concrete freeway materials and methods [N-scale]:

I live in Los Angeles, the land of freeways! In the past, I've used #400-grit black waterproof sandpaper for asphalt. To me, it looks and feels just like the real thing. Although I just made a $99 investment in a fairly large Kato Unitram street scenery piece, I would like to eventually build...
  14. Chevron_GATX

N-scale Kato Unitrack + Unitram layout: Small-build layout progress thread.

N-scale Kato Unitrack + Unitram layout: Small-build layout progress thread [revised]. I finally decided to go N-scale! After wracking my brain as to where to construct a layout, I just went into the garage and measured my Home Depot-built workbench cabinets. It runs most of the width of the...
  15. Chevron_GATX

Which radii did you choose for your N-scale layout?

I have some fairly long locos, including the Bachmann EMD DDA40X "Big Boy." I was planning on adding multi-loco trains using three to six SD-40s, SD-90s (or a combination of both) in tandem. My current freight inventory includes only a five-car stack-container car that I just ordered. I was...
  16. Chevron_GATX

How would you rank these manufacturers for detail? [N-scale]:

Among the major manufacturers, I was just looking for your general impressions. I would guess that most are close enough to be about the same. Since I don't own any of my own stock yet, I'm basing my observations solely on the small .JPG catalog photos from the major online resellers. •...
  17. Chevron_GATX

Has anyone here bought Tomix (Tomytec) or Kato N-scale buildings?

I just bought a pile of Tomix (Tomytec) and Kato N-scale buildings and structures from both Amazon and ModelTrainStuff (available inventory varies wildly among vendors). All of the Tomix buildings I bought from ModelTrainStuff says, "built-up" in the product description which I assume means...
  18. Chevron_GATX

"Best" N-scale EMD/GE DCC diesels: Run DC-only w/Kato Soundbox?

So, I've made the decision . . . I'm going with the "big" 'N'. I'm thinking of running both Southern Pacific and Union Pacific since I see both roadnames used quite a lot in the Los Angeles area. My preferred roadname is Southern Pacific, but going with N-scale leaves me fewer selections...
  19. Chevron_GATX

"Creative" HO layout ideas for the space-constrained: Wall-mounted, outdoors, etc.?

I live in a house, but I'm fairly space constrained (living in Los Angeles, unfortunately, we don't have basements). Also, I have a number of other space-consuming hobbies: A full-blown music studio with a drum kit, three half-stack Marshall amps, a ton of keyboards, etc. I have a living room...
  20. Chevron_GATX

"Best" modern HO DCC diesels: Preferably EMD, in a Southern Pacific roadname.

I'm looking to build an all-new DCC HO system from the ground-up, eventually converting to 100% dead-rail. I've already chosen my rolling stock (initially, a bunch of RTR 31K tank cars). Now, I'm trying to decide on my locomotive power. These are the three DCC-with-sound locos I'm considering...

Back