N-scale: Busch 160:1 vehicles vs. Kato 150:1 vehicles.

N-scale: Busch 160:1 vehicles vs. Kato vehicles.

I know that some Tomix models N-scale in 150:1, but despite the original thread title, I'm unsure if Kato models their vehicles at 1:150 or 1:160. I'm about to buy some N-scale vehicles from Busch (Germany). I'm assuming that most or all European N-scale products are modeled in 160:1 (with the exception of the British standard of 1:148), though I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere on either the English- or German-language Busch sites. Can anyone confirm that Busch vehicles are actually 160:1?

To avoid the visual discrepancy, I plan to only buy vehicles from manufacturers who model N-scale in 160:1. Does anyone have both Kato and Busch vehicles? How do they compare scale-wise? (Note that I'm only buying modern passenger cars and utility vans).

[Note: For those wanting the answer, I'm guessing that the Kato vehicles are probably 1:150, since they appear slightly out-of-scale compared to the Busch 1:160 vehicles.]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a crap shoot, even when the ad is specific about scale. You've got two choices: buy only one company's products, or plan on reselling whatever doesn't work. Luckily, people and vehicles are inexpensive.

Thinking ahead: Seated passengers with paint just thrown on are dirt cheap in 100 - piece lots, and can be used to populate passenger cars and building interiors. Since they'll only be semi-visible, exact scale isn't critical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chevron- Unless you are trying to use specific models of the same vehicle, the 150 vs. 160 scale should not make much difference.
Look at the physical size difference between Chevy Impala and Malibu sedans in the prototypes, not to mention the compact and sub-compact cars.

Also, you could use different makers vehicles in different scenes where size will not be as noticeable.
N scale will be easier to mix sizes than larger HO or O scale.

Well, I just ordered a bunch of N-scale vehicles, almost exclusively Busch vehicles. I found this packaging on eBay which confirms Busch's vehicle scale:

busch160-2.png

However, according nscalevehicles.org, "Kato manufactures vehicle models in both 1:150 and 1:160 scale, and they are not always clearly marked as 1:150 scale or 1:160 scale." I did buy one package of Kato N-scale vehicles, but I can't read the package clearly:

katopic.jpg

I previously bought some Kato buildings, and I don't know where I got the idea that they were 1:160, but I think they are. Tomix/Tomytec buildings I think are 1:150, and, again, according the nscalevehicles.org, "TomyTec [Tomix], Maruka, Fujimoto, Bandai, F-toys, Pro Hobby, Skynet Aoshima and others manufacture model vehicles for modelers of Japanese prototype trains, where most of the model railroad equipment that operates on 9 mm (N gauge) track is 1:150 scale."

Tomix makes some nice trucks, but I assume they're 1:150, and I was afraid next to the Busch 1:160 vehicles, the scale difference would be noticeable (possibly, glaringly so). I Googled this to death, and apparently no one has voiced a comparison between Tomix and Busch N-scale vehicles.

I found some additional N-scale vehicle reference material from another modeler's site located here. He confirms that the Tomix/Tomytec vehicles are 1:150, and that they can be large enough to be distracting to some modelers. That said, the modeler mentions there's a fair amount of variability among Japanese 1:150 vehicles, even within the same manufacturer's line (as expected). So, as Beady mentioned earlier, it's pretty much a crap shoot when it comes to Japanese N-scale.

I'll probably order at least one Tomix truck set (even knowing they'll likely be visibly out-of-scale), because they're one of the few modern box trucks available, plus the the fact that they're painted with modern corporate logos (another N-scale vehicle rarity). But I'm glad I bought all-Busch vehicles to start (save for one Kato minivan set of four), and will probably continue to buy Busch vehicles exclusively as they become available.

I got my first Busch order yesterday (above), and boy am I impressed! The first thing I noticed: These things are small! But, they look great! Now, I'm almost sure the Tomix vehicles will look awkwardly large next to the Busch vehicles, so I'll probably continue to buy Busch exclusively. That means most of my city's drivers will be fairly affluent, since Busch only seems to model Mercedes Benz! I think I have 12 more vehicles coming (four of which are the Kato minivans which may also be too large next to the Busch 1:160 models). I did also buy one Minitrix modern bus which looks excellent in the catalog picture. If it scales well next to the Busch vehicles, I'll buy more Minitrix buses in different "line" colors.

I just ordered more Busch vehicles! Thankfully, I found some new models at another online supplier. Got an Audi sedan and another Mercedes (but, at least it's a station wagon). I was super happy to find some Busch police and fire vehicles (though no fire trucks, since I'm super paranoid about scale-accuracy of those). I had been looking for modern police vehicles and couldn't find any up until today. Unfortunately, they're not LAPD-style Crown Victorias, but at least they're late-model vehicles (Busch also sells some 70's-era looking police cars, which I don't want). Ordered two more commercial Spinters, in addition to the FedEx and UPS Sprinters I already ordered. Also got a Busch Ford Explorer Amtrak SUV that looks really cool.

buschx-1.jpg

I still only have the two Mercedes sedans I originally ordered, one of which is pictured above. I was very tempted to order two other brands: A Wiking van, and some fairly good-looking Herpa modern buses. But, next to the Trix bus I already ordered (but haven't yet received), the Herpa bus will likely pale in companion. The Trix bus looks very proto from the catalog photo (as I imagine their larger scale models are). The Herpas seem to look pretty good, but I'm still pretty gun-shy about mixing brands. I think I'll only be "safe" buying only Busch and Trix vehicles (of which they only make buses, it seems), as both seem true-to-scale and very nicely detailed.

I'll shoot pictures of everything when I get them. Next on the list is a good, scale-accurate fire truck. Again, I'm super-paranoid about fire trucks ever since I realized that my Matchbox fire truck was ridiculously out-of-scale when I was like six or seven years old (yeah, I know, Matchbox just made their vehicles so that they'd to fit in the same-sized boxes). Ever since I was little, out-of-scale vehicles and toy sets always bothered the holy crap outta me. You know, like when you'd get a set of plastic toys in a set, with like some airplanes, tanks and some soldiers or something, and everything was obviously, and wildly out-of-scale.

It sure seems to be hard to find decent N scale vehicles. When I had my N scale layout years ago it was poor pickins and it doesn't seem to have improved much. I have a pretty good collection of HO scale vehicles, selectively collected for the transition era and couldn't imagine how hard it would be to do for N scale. The Mercedes sure look way above average for N scale.

Both Busch and Kato N-scale vehicles' wheel sets appear to scale reasonably well together (second frame: blue Mercedes and silver minivan). However, if the Kato vans are supposed to be minivans, they're actually out-of-scale and a bit too large. At normal viewing distances, they do resemble full-sized vans, and if defined as such, compare okay to the Busch Sprinters.

My only nit is that the wheels of the Busch Sprinters are a bit under-scale. As expected, the Trix bus (first and fourth frame) appears to scale very well with the Busch 1:160 vehicles. Plus, it's extremely well-styled, and very nicely detailed. Again, the quality of the Busch vehicles overall is excellent, and I'm very happy with both Busch and Trix. I'm probably going to avoid buying any more Kato vehicles. Wiking and Herpa are still also possible contenders until I actually obtain a sample. I may someday risk a few bucks on a Tomix 1:150 truck since they have some pretty nice ones and see how out-of-scale they actually are.

Those look pretty good for "N" scale. I don't understand the mini-van thing, as they all look full sized to me in real life! You might be able to visit a train show or a hobby shop to see the scaling of other vehicles. I am lucky to have a couple of train stores within driving distance (65 miles) but there are some vehicles at the local Hobby Lobby as well.
Willie

You sure seem to be between a rock and a hard spot. Did a brief search for N scale vehicles and not much showed up and many are European cars. Here's a link to check out.

http://www.internettrains.com/merch...T-23-500&Category_Code=NSCLDTVEHKAT&Featured=

I was whining about how hard it was trying to het HO scale vehicles, but N scale is really a pain.

MB Klein had quite a few, but many were vintage and mostly also European. A while back I had posted a link to 3-D printing and notices that they had a number of N scale vehicles but they would require some painting. Here's a link to shapeways 3D printing.

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=1:160+vehicles&type=

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look pretty good for "N" scale. I don't understand the mini-van thing, as they all look full sized to me in real life! You might be able to visit a train show or a hobby shop to see the scaling of other vehicles . . .

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them. The Kato minivans scale more closely to full-sized vans, like a Ford Econoline, rather than the Toyota minivans they're supposed to resemble. Viewed from the top, the Kato van's wheelbase is much larger than the Busch Mercedes station wagon, whereas a minivan (e.g., a Ford Freestar) would've had about the same-sized wheelbase. What was once one of largest hobby stores in the country, Allied Model Trains, closed its doors forever in 2015. Never been to a Hobby Lobby.

You sure seem to be between a rock and a hard spot. Did a brief search for N scale vehicles and not much showed up and many are European cars . . .

Oh, not at all! I'm exceedingly happy with the Busch models, and was surprised to find more and different Busch vehicles at another large online seller. I now have 12 Busch N-scale vehicles, the four Kato minivans, and the Minitrix bus. I have 17 more Busch vehicles on the way, including eight police vehicles (sedans and SUVs), and four fire vehicles (sedans and SUVs), so I'm pretty happy with the number and variety of Busch vehicles I've been able to acquire so far. At this point, I have no vehicles in the same colors (except for the police and fire vehicles). The prices have been reasonable as well, since most Busch vehicles are sold in two-packs, selling for between $12-$23 for the pack.

I'll be able to increase my livery more easily once I qualify Wiking's and Herpa's line of N-scale vehicles, both of which look pretty good from their catalog photos. The GHQ kits look "okay" (in particular, the GHQ Crown Victoria CHP car), but these models, though inexpensive, require painting and decaling.

I can understand your feeling about painting and decaling kits. Years ago when I first started my HO layout, Alloy Forms were probably the most accurate HO scale vehicles requiring painting. I was a lot younger then with better eyes than I have now. I can't imaging trying to work in N scale. I had quite a few N scale vehicles from my N scale layout and they went like hot cakes when I sold out all of my N scale equipment.

Looks like you do have a good variety of vehicles. I sort of did the same as you did with the Classic Metal Works vehicles. I probably have every offering that put out for my era and avoided duplicating colors.

I can understand your feeling about painting and decaling kits. Years ago when I first started my HO layout, Alloy Forms were probably the most accurate HO scale vehicles requiring painting. I was a lot younger then with better eyes than I have now. I can't imaging trying to work in N scale . . .

Yeah, these things are so small it'd be difficult to paint accurately, and who knows where you'd be able to get 1:160 police vehicle decals (GHQ doesn't include any decals). I do want to paint the top of my Minitrix bus since the off-white plastic roof just isn't doing it for me. It seems, the smaller the model is on your layout, the more you want it to look good, and since scale differences are more obvious the smaller you go, I tend to get hyper-anal about this stuff. But, yeah, I'm happy with what I got, and there's more on the way!

Back