Search results

1. G

Why is it so hard to buy

One thing I fail to understand with most all N loco manufacturers is that nothing is available. Especially with Athearn. They announce stuff, but it never hits the market. Even if it is advertised. This has to be something unique to the train hobby, it sure isn't like that in planes or cars...
  2. G

power for kato turnouts

As far as I know, the switches run on 12 VDC. You can use a output from a DC power pack. I use a 1.5 amp 110 VAC to 12 VDC wall wart to power the switches (10) on my smallish layout. I use DCC and that seemed the easiest way to power them and it works just fine. Everyone has a number of the...
  3. G

Water, how to add ripples etc.

I am building a smallish N scale layout. I have added a small lake following Woodland Scenics hints and other info I found on this forum and other places. I used Envirotex for the water. It is working out quite well overall. But, I am curious how to add some texture to simulate waves and...
  4. G

Turnout signal

Does any company make or has anyone seen a way of making a signal light that shows when a turnout is one way or the other? By that I mean some sort of visible LED or small light mounted near the turnout that glows red when the turnout is one way and green the other. Or something like that. I...
  5. G

Shell removal

Never mind, I found a video.
  6. G

Shell removal

I have a Kato GE C44-9W lococ I want to install a TCS decoder into. How do I remove the body shell? It isn't obvious and of course I don't want to damage anything. Thanks
  7. G

Best way to obtain N scale gear while living in a rural area?

I am in the US, but in the same situation. I buy from a few sites and have had good luck with: Amazon (lots of train stuff and I trust them).Not all is directly from Amazon, but they back them up. Phils Hobby shop Horizon Hobby trains, horizonhobbytrains.com\ I think the larger suppliers will...
  8. G

N scale autos and trucks and etc...

Does anyone make modern autos etc in N scale? Newest I have seen anywhere is a 1993 Explorer. And no trucks or service vehicles...
  9. G

Inclines

Here is what I was told: 2% grade max... That is 2 inches in 100 inches or 1 inch in 50 inches. % = height/length of grade or length of grade = height/% Percent as a decimal, 2% = .02 in this case. However I think people commonly use 3% and even 4%. On my N scale layout I am staying...
  10. G

First try with Unitrack and MRC Advance2

Ebay.... Not to worry, I have a lot of not so good experience from other hobbies with Ebay. I avoid it like the plague. I don't trust sellers and even trust the rating system less. I buy 95% of my stuff either off Amazon (or one of their sellers) or Horizon Hobby depending on prices. Now I...
  11. G

First try with Unitrack and MRC Advance2

I got tired of waiting to get my entire layout set up and running. So, I put together a small loop with a couple turnouts just so I can get a idea of how stuff will run and so I can learn about operating the DCC. I am very pleased I made the decision to use Unitrack, it is so smooth running and...
  12. G

Power for turnouts etc with DCC?

I meant for the switch machine motors.
  13. G

Power for turnouts etc with DCC?

I am building a layout (N) using Unitrack and a MRC Advance 2 DCC system. How should I supply power to the turnouts? I am not planning on using DCC for turnout control at this time. Later likely, but not to start. I have a Kato DC powerpack I was planning on using for this. Is that the normal...
  14. G

Track slope??

I had a look at the woodlands senic stuff, thanks. Looks like it would be helpful. I might try making something simialr myself and if that is a issue or PIA, I'll try their stuff. I've done quite a bit of foam cutting before in a different hobby.
  15. G

Track slope??

Thanks, that confirms what I thought. I just want to add some height differences around my layout to sort of get away from an all flat layout. And to allow some intersting bridges over rivers and the like. I'm building on 1 1/2" blue foam so I think it will be fairly easy to add these sort of...
  16. G

Track slope??

What are acceptable track slope percentages? Are straight and curves the same. I see 3% mentioned on and off. Is that a good number? I'm talking about N. To me a 3% slope is a rise or fall 3 inches in 100 inches. Is that correct? Just don't want to have to redo anything. Thanks!
  17. G

Unitrack reversing loop

I am wondering if anyone has done a reversing loop with Kato Unitrack. I need one in a fairly small radius. Any suggestions on how to construct this. I.E., what turn out and track to use?
  18. G

TCS decoders

Sort of echoes my experience. I didn't like the lack of furnishing the shipping cost, but they did respond when I asked. Not sure how long it would have taken if I didn't ask.
  19. G

TCS decoders

Thanks for the comments. I ordered one, so I hope it's ok.
  20. G

TCS decoders

Any comments about decoders from this company? Good, bad or otherwise. They have been good about answering my questions, but I have not seen anything in this or other forums related to their products. Just curious.

Back