Best way to obtain N scale gear while living in a rural area?

TheZeke

Hello,

I've gone ahead and purchased some really old (terrible) HO stuff from a retiree and I'm now in the process of getting rid of it. I'm definitely going N scale. While getting rid of it I've built a bench that's 9'4"x32" on one wall and 9'4"x36" on the adjacent wall forming an L shaped bench.

Now I need to find some N scale gear. I've been reading about DCC and I'm definitely going to go that route but I don't want to get ahead of myself here. I made that mistake already with the HO stuff and I think building a bench is as ahead of myself as I want to get right now.

Usually the best advice is to go into a shop and have a look and talk to someone about it. I don't really have that option as far as I know. I live in the Kootenay mountains of British Columbia. I'm in Canada but very close to the US border. The closest major cities to me are Kelowna and Spokane but they are each 4 hours away. What would be the recommended way to obtain N scale stuff? Are there recommended dealers in Spokane or Kelowna that anyone knows about? I've read a little bit about Sunset Junction in spokane but it appears that they don't carry N scale stuff.

I'm kind of paralyzed with rural-buyers fear now. I don't want to go nuts on eBay without knowing what to buy but I want to buy something to get started. Maybe I could do the layout on the outside main line or something and go from there. I'm totally comfortable buying on eBay generally but now I'm worried I'm going to purchase the wrong stuff.

The kinds of things I'd like to get now to get started is:
- NCE Power Cab
- Canadian National or Canadian Pacific locomotives w/ DCC equipped
- Track
- Remote turnouts (I can use them manually until I figure out how to put decoders or whatever on them).

If anyone knows of a good (and up to date) book/guide I should get acquainted with first that might help me. Other then that what kinds of up-to-date things should I be looking for? I'm a technically oriented person so a lot of the fun will be the details in layout and wiring but I need some materials to play with. :-D

Any advice for a total *noob* modeler with no where even reasonably local to buy stuff would be appreciated. Anyway, thanks for reading!

You are probably going to be stuck doing mail order.hopefully somebody can recommend a hobby shop or even a swap meet that isn't more than 3-4 hours' driving time from you, at least for an initial orientation.
As for scale, if you have room, I would think sticking with HO might not be a bad idea, especially for a rookie. When I was forced to leave N scale after many decades, and go to HO, i was shocked at how ridiculously easy HO was to work with. Inatalling and maintaining a fleet of N scale decoders with absolutely no help would be pretty daunting, and may turn you completely off trains.
As for DCC, I would suggest getting a complete starter system. NCE, MRC, and Digitrax all make starter sets.
Whatever scale and DCC system you get, get new in box, at least until you get some more experience. That way, if something doesn't work, you can call or email the company that produced it for help and support.

I am in the US, but in the same situation. I buy from a few sites and have had good luck with:
Amazon (lots of train stuff and I trust them).Not all is directly from Amazon, but they back them up.
Phils Hobby shop
Horizon Hobby trains, horizonhobbytrains.com\
I think the larger suppliers will have experience shipping internationaly, Do you know anyone in the US near the border you could have stuff shipped to? Just another option.
Get a basic book on DCC, it is very helpful.

Not all decoders have sound. If you want sound effects on your DCC locomotive, make sure the decoder it comes with has sound effects and speaker built into it.

Mike

If it makes you feel any better, very few hobby shops have a big selection on N (or most other scales) so EVERYONE ends up shopping online. No LHS can afford to invetory all the items available, especially in multiple scales.

One way to minimize "mistakes" on sites like ebay is to cross reference........go to one of the online stores and find the items you want........get model numbers, pictures,ect. , and then compare to items on ebay.......if they don't match, pass on them. When in doubt, pass.

When starting, pick a brand of track and stick with it. If it was me, I'd stick with Atlas for standard track and Kato if you want track with the integrated road bed.....There are other options, but those 2 have the largest variety and give you the best chance sticking to a single brand. Most brands can be mixed, but that will also increase the chance of problems......something you'd be better off avoiding till you get more experience.

Thanks guys! I'm going to pickup those books Byron, thanks for recommending them. It does make me feel a bit better that most people are ordering their stuff in actually as well MRLdave. :)

I'm pretty much certain I'm going to get the NCE Power Cab (2AMP) system so its just a matter of finding a reputable place to get it from. Pricing appears to be around $135-$150 USD.

I bought some stuff last night on eBay. I bought 2 x DCC Ready locomotives (but no decoders yet) and some rolling stock. I think I made a mistake though and bought some track that turns out to be Model Power track. WTF - no idea what that brand even is but it looks like it's a budget brand that's been around for a while. We'll see. I can always return it if it's terrible or doesn't match Atlas code 55 close enough to be usable.

I definitely don't want integrated road bed. I hate the look and feel of that stuff. I have some HO scale EZ track here already and it sucks IMO.

I'm having a hard time finding turnouts that aren't $25.00 each that can be rewired for DCC when the time comes. Does anyone have any brand preferences. From reading it seems that Peco Electrofrog are the ones to get. Does anyone have any advice that would counter this?

Thanks again!

I use atlas N scale code 80 track and switches. It's a little less expensive than code 55 and older rolling stock with larger wheel flanges work better with code 80. I have been using the atlas switches with the built-in actuators. Some are manual only operated with a small trip lever, and some have an onboard remote operated electric actuator that also has the same manual trip pin....for remote or manual use. Using four of these turnouts over a three month test period they function very well.....though I only used them manually.....never used the remote function yet. I've heard these can be used with DCC...but may require a different type of decoder than the stall motor type switch machines.

If you use the normal type switches that come without a built in actuator....you will need either manual ground throws (caboose industries 206S have a built-in spring...the good ones) or if you want remote and DCC remote ability you'll need electric switch motors (tortoise machine is popular). Some folks now use RC micro-servos with electronic control modules.

So if you want to start out easier, get going quicker and work your way up eventually to the expense and complexity of DCC switch routing.....you at least have some options here to think about.

Mike

I'm having a hard time finding turnouts that aren't $25.00 each that can be rewired for DCC when the time comes. Does anyone have any brand preferences. From reading it seems that Peco Electrofrog are the ones to get. Does anyone have any advice that would counter this?
Atlas Code 55 turnouts are US$11.49 each at Model Train Stuff, an excellent online dealer.

Atlas Code 55 turnouts are ready to use on either a DC or a DCC layout without any modification. I use them on my layout which I ran on DC for a while then switched to DCC without a single change to the wiring. I have no experience with any other turnouts.

For plenty of good information about DCC, I recommend the Wiring for DCC web site. It is not very well organized (in my opinion) but contains much valuable information.

- Jeff

I think I made a mistake though and bought some track that turns out to be Model Power track. WTF - no idea what that brand even is but it looks like it's a budget brand that's been around for a while. We'll see. I can always return it if it's terrible or doesn't match Atlas code 55 close enough to be usable.
Hmm, was it a big batch of 102 pieces for $20 bucks or so. I saw several of those sell, and was even going to get on myself. That was/is code 80 track.

I'm having a hard time finding turnouts that aren't $25.00 each .
Seems like Caboose Hobbies has Peco for $16.00. Are you looking at the ones with powered switch motors?

that can be rewired for DCC when the time comes.[/qoute]I do not understand this statement. What about a turnout would have to be "rewired" for DCC? A turnout with a hot frog is going to require special wiring considerations whether it is DCC, DC, AC, TCS, DCS, Railcommand or anything.

From reading it seems that Peco Electrofrog are the ones to get. Does anyone have any advice that would counter this?
Peco Electrofrog's are one of the ones that will require gaps in the rails. In N-scale I've been getting the Peco Insulfrog, just so I don't have to worry about track gaps or insulated rail joiners.

I agree with a previous statement about having to go mail order or on the internet to make purchases. I too live in a rural area and there are no decent hobby shops near me. The internet is about my best bet. I was in Reno, NV a while back and really disappointed that I couldn't find a single place to go shopping for model railroading supplies. Money in my pocket and no where to spend it. (no, I didn't gamble).

I have used Model Train Stuff five times, the web site is excellent, very easy to use. I don't know how the prices compare to where you live but they are a lot cheaper than Australia even allowing for postage. I use the standard postage and I have received my gear normally in 10 days, well packed and undamaged.

I have N scale and I've recently purchased the NCE DCC and it is a dream to use and wire up, as has been stated above there is lots out there on how to wire dcc (I'm a retired Biro Mechanic so my knowledge of electronics/wiring is about on par with my knowledge of horses - excellent source of manure) Good luck with it all.

Steve

Thanks guys! I'm going to pickup those books Byron, thanks for recommending them. It does make me feel a bit better that most people are ordering their stuff in actually as well MRLdave. :)

I'm pretty much certain I'm going to get the NCE Power Cab (2AMP) system so its just a matter of finding a reputable place to get it from. Pricing appears to be around $135-$150 USD.

I bought some stuff last night on eBay. I bought 2 x DCC Ready locomotives (but no decoders yet) and some rolling stock. I think I made a mistake though and bought some track that turns out to be Model Power track. WTF - no idea what that brand even is but it looks like it's a budget brand that's been around for a while. We'll see. I can always return it if it's terrible or doesn't match Atlas code 55 close enough to be usable.

I definitely don't want integrated road bed. I hate the look and feel of that stuff. I have some HO scale EZ track here already and it sucks IMO.

Thanks again!

I understand you don't like roadbed track but comparing Bachman's EZ track to Kato Unitrack is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes S class sedan. Unitrack is as my father would say; "slick as greased owl poo" tight, excellent, repeatable connections a high quality Japanese made product.

Walthers catalog for whatever scale you're in is usually good for reference purposes. It has pictures of stuff and sometimes model numbers, which can be good if you're planning to do a lot of mail ordering. It doesn't have everything, but it can help-sort of like the Sears catalog used to be. It's a bit pricey,so I only spring for it when I plan on doing a lot of purchaing, and want to get an idea of what's available. Good luck.

I've thought about being in a similar situation, and if your mail is reliable I'd use modeltrainstuff.com, as suggested, as they've had very good customer service.

The other option, which I also recommend, is ordering stuff a month or a month and a half in advance before you plan to visit a city like Calgary (Trains and Such) or Vancouver (Central Hobbies) and then picking it up during a trip that has other motives.

Buffalo Airways has cool old planes and delivers stuff to remote Alaskan outposts. They probably charge alot though. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Give Hal a call !!

In the western part of your province in Vancouver is a hobby store called "Central Hobbies". Hal. the owner there is a great guy. Very knowledgeable & helpful. Give him a call for any N scale needs you have. He will bring in anything he doesnt have in-store, and will ship small orders to you. And no I dont work there. I shop there.

Back