First try with Unitrack and MRC Advance2

gouda

I got tired of waiting to get my entire layout set up and running. So, I put together a small loop with a couple turnouts just so I can get a idea of how stuff will run and so I can learn about operating the DCC. I am very pleased I made the decision to use Unitrack, it is so smooth running and easy to set up. It met my expectations. Same with the MRC DCC, it was easy to set up and get running and seems to work exactly as I expected. It will take some using it to learn all of what it can do. It is going to be fun.

I've done about the same thing only mine just goes back and forth on some sections of flex track. I've tried my hand at a little programing and so far all I can say is WOW!!! I'm especially impressed with the momentum effects! I can get my locos to crawl so slow I almost need to take pictures to compare to see if they are moving.:p

The quality of N scale equipment has improved SOOOOOOO much since I last had a layout that it's mind blowing. I can't wait to start my layout later this fall.

Yes the worm gear drive with the dual flywheels is super smooth going really slow. I'm hearing good things about the MRC prodigy DCC systems. I want to get DCC so I can speed match different N scale locomotives running in the same train.

Mike

I have just started getting back into all of this. When I left, I had just picked up a MRC Prodigy Advance and a few MRC decoders to put into Athearn BB engines. Well 10 years later, the stuff is so vastly improved, it is like going from the stamped steel toys of 1930's to George Jetson. The way the loco's run and how well DCC works is just amazing. I had a 12 year old BB engine crawling along the track. I had the shell off and you could almost count the windings on the armature.

I have been looking at an Atlas GP-35 and a almost drop in DCC board. If they run 1/2 as well as my old cheapies, I will be super happy. What hooked me on the DCC was the sounds and lights. Just to cool.

Good stuff out there.

Buzz.

Just be careful if buying on ebay that you're actually buying what you think you are! If you get those annoying sellers that don't state things like "DCC ready" or copy & paste info from the manufacturer you'll want to try and see when it was produced via either the road number or the model/part number. Most models have been produced multiple times over the years, and if you're not careful that "bargain" might actually be cheap because it's 30+ years old. Sadly I learnt this the hard way. :(

Ebay....

Just be careful if buying on ebay that you're actually buying what you think you are! If you get those annoying sellers that don't state things like "DCC ready" or copy & paste info from the manufacturer you'll want to try and see when it was produced via either the road number or the model/part number. Most models have been produced multiple times over the years, and if you're not careful that "bargain" might actually be cheap because it's 30+ years old. Sadly I learnt this the hard way. :(

Not to worry, I have a lot of not so good experience from other hobbies with Ebay. I avoid it like the plague. I don't trust sellers and even trust the rating system less. I buy 95% of my stuff either off Amazon (or one of their sellers) or Horizon Hobby depending on prices. Now I have started looking at some of the train web sites, but really have not found any advantage to most. Either they are just as high or shipping is unreasonable. I did have good luck with Phils, DCC Hobby Supply and TCS. I will buy from them again for sure. I have been buying and selling from individuals off RC related web sites for years, it's a fun part of the hobby, but I have not seen the same level of buying and selling on train stuff here or elsewhere. Of course trains don't crash and destroy themselves like planes. One of the reasons I quit RC. That and it's getting harder to find flying sites.
Sorry, sorta got off on a tangent there.

Back