Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

If you are referring to the players taking a knee; I think it's stupid in that it is counter productive. Although I support their right to do it. Most of white bread America is not opening their minds to think "why they are doing it", they are only offended by it. Therefore I think it's counter productive, stupid. It's preaching to the choir. Taking a knee is a lazy way out, it's to easy and too offensive. They should speak out on their own time.

When I go to work I know who is paying me, I always give my very best effort. I won't use that time to do anything other than work, not even a personal phone call. Call my cell phone when I'm working, you won't get an answer. Unless one of my children or grandchildren have an emergency. They know to only call me if it is an emergency. If don't like my job, I'll give my 2 weeks notice, but bet your bottom dollar I do my best in those last 2 weeks.

We should all honor the flag and the men and women who stand ready to defend it. To me the flag represents the police, firemen, the justice system and all civil servants, all of us! Of course there are some bad ones, nothing human can ever be perfect.

I chose not to work for the government. On any level local, state or federal, in any capacity. I did that out of simple greed. I knew I could do much better on my own. I think it's important to honor those who made sacrifices for the good of us all.

In America we have freedom of speech, the right to peacefully protest, we have the right to use the courts to bring about change. We have many ways to peacefully protest. I only wish we could be smart about it.

I think of it in terms of playing chess; the queen can take any pawn, but at what cost?

Our America is far from perfect, but it's the best the human race has come up with so far. Truth, honor, equality and justice, that's the American way.

We live in the "Age of Stupidity" on "many sides" ;) . America will survive and even better because of it. This I hope and pray.

Ok enough of that; how you been you old cow poke?
Yes, many of our forefathers fought & died for the freedoms granted us in the Bill of Rights. That being said, the protection is only against the government. If you choose to exercise these rights while on the job, in a uniform which represents your employer, there can be consequences to your choices.

Chet I refuse let a few misguided players take football away from me. It's just too important to me. I wait until after kickoff to watch and I keep the sound turned down.

I underestimated the impact of what these guys have done. Many of my friends are doing just like you. The Ravens have managed to keep selling out the games, but I have never seen so many promotions, discounts and giveaways to entice fans to come. There is not even a waiting list any more for season tickets.

I wish the owners had just ignored the kneelers. Every time they speak about it or come up with a new policy it ignites a new frenzy of media coverage and more players participate. I think something this stupid if left alone will collapse under it's own weight.

I just spoke to the "wizard of wood" aka Sherrel, he and his family are preparing to go to the beach with the grandkids, all is well.

My goodness -- The Archbishop of the East, LOUIS, just called me. Like he said- Spousal Unit and I are in the midst of piling everything in the RV for the beach. Will be there 4-5 days.
I am sending her on her own and will join her Sunday evening.
I have a ton of back postings to read and catch up on.
For a start: TOOT - loved the a/c movies there. Just dawned on me that that Spitfire would be a real joy to fly - no torque with the counter rotating props! I will try and find some spec's on that one; in the meantime take a gander at the "Rare Bear" which was loaded with lotsa torque. http://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft/rare-bear
Lyle Shelton (the owner of Rare Bear) was my co-pilot on quite a number of flights. He was always scheming and scrounging when we worked together.

CHET - The rail pic from yesterday looks to be from the LA area? I seem to remember seeing that station on one or more of my rail jaunts.

More later - nothing amiss here except just have been a little bored and depressed.
HOA was a "bust" -- they don't care, have an unwritten 72 hour rule. Newly hired person making the rounds and causing lots of trouble for everyone. We only have 124 homes in the association - I think the new person may be getting talked too!

HOA was a "bust" -- they don't care, have an unwritten 72 hour rule. Newly hired person making the rounds and causing lots of trouble for everyone. We only have 124 homes in the association - I think the new person may be getting talked too!

124 homes and they had to hire someone? Sounds like a waste of $$$$, but that's just me.

Terry/Karl - You guys keep it up - I hear that one or more of the late night shows is looking for new talent - You both are pretty funny!
This "Person" making the rounds for the HOA also works for several other associations in the area. What is silly is the fact that this little section of this area is 1/2 in the city and 1/2 county and is composed of three different builders and/or associations. Thankfully we do not have the large pools/restaurants/meeting halls/play grounds to have to support -- our dues actually were lowered about a year after purchase and are very reasonable .. $40 a month where most of the time you are talking $100 up! Pays for grounds upkeep, street resurfacing, lighting,and sweeping.
OK ..cooled off - back at it.

Sherrel - That sounds like an HOA from hell. A good friend of mine lives where there is an HOA, but the rules are not very restrictive. You do have to keep your yard and driveway "presentable", without any jhunkers sitting there. For th emost part, the HOA pays for snow removal and road repairs. They had the few street resealed last year. He has no real problems with it.

My little NW2 arrived today. A sweet running little locomotive. All sorts of sounds come from it at idle and slow speeds. Braking is automatic and you can hear the compressor coming on and off. Sits there hissing and farting like a real one. The only problenm is that I don't think I can speed match it with my RS-1 because of the gear ratio. It has excellent slow speed manners but wide open it may get up to a little over half of the speed of the RS-1.

20180817_123350.jpg20180817_123330.jpg

Been moving sprinklers and paint figures again. Enough of the figures for now. I think my eyes are looking at each other.

Later

Howdy ..

Where is Ken D&J ? Last I recall, he was questioning if profanity was allowed here because a post by Beady included some foul language in a joke. I don't think others here should have responded favorably to the joke becasue obviously Ken D&J had valid concerns. I would like to see Ken return. Also, Ken (Iron Belt) is MIA.

Chet .... The NW2 looks fantastic. You can have a lot of fun with it.

Sherrel .... Sounds like fun and games with the HOA. I'm glad I'm not in a suburban subdivision with a HOA.

Here is a photo I took last winter in Princeton, KY of Paducah & Louisville locomotives. The lead unit is a road slug with power connections to the second unit, a GP40. The third unit is also a GP40. The GP40's look very much like the new GP40 I received as a gift.

]
39291100710_fab8797cce_b.jpg

Now a warm 85* down from 94 and humid. The next 3 days will be the same. T/S possible at any time Yesterday t/s's all around us but no rain.
Saw primary doc today for 6 month checkup . Only problem was low iron in system. Guess I'll have to chew nails or rr spikes.

Prayers and blessings for all
Phil

For a start: TOOT - loved the a/c movies there. Just dawned on me that that Spitfire would be a real joy to fly - no torque with the counter rotating props! I will try and find some spec's on that one; in the meantime take a gander at the "Rare Bear" which was loaded with lotsa torque. http://www.lewisairlegends.com/aircraft/rare-bear
I often watch the air races on y/tube, love the ex fighters belting it out. Wikipedia has quite a reasonable amount of info on the Griffon engined versions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super..._variants)#Mk_XIX_(Mk_19)_(types_389_and_390).

An English teacher (he was Dutch) I had in the early 50's had been a Spitfire pilot in the late part of WW2, chasing and shooting down the 'flying bombs' or V1's. He told us he destroyed his plane when he fired on one and it exploded directly in front of him and he flew through the fireball. He got it down, but it was a write off.

Good morning gang,
73 and cloudy, with Tstorms later. Got to visir the vampires at Labcorp this morning.

My little NW2 arrived today. A sweet running little locomotive. All sorts of sounds come from it at idle and slow speeds. Braking is automatic and you can hear the compressor coming on and off. Sits there hissing and farting like a real one. The only problem is that I don't think I can speed match it with my RS-1 because of the gear ratio. It has excellent slow speed manners but wide open it may get up to a little over half of the speed of the RS-1.

View attachment 29904View attachment 29905

Later
If it is a BLI switcher, it is set up for low speed switching. I have a couple of BLI switchers, and found that it gives a more reasonable speed if I set CV6 to around 200 or so, and CV5 to 250. I have one that I had to set CV6 to 240 before it would match my other switchers. That also means that all the throttle reponse and spee are in the bottom half of the throttle, but at least up to 50% throttle, it will match my other stuff.

Good morning Everybody!]

Hot and humid, chance of thunder showers. We already had a light rain shower earlier this morning.

Posting two days in a row... yep :)

This popped up on YouTube, happens to be one of my favorite scenes from the movies.

Good Morning All. 78° and mostly cloudy, at least that's a tiny bit cooler than the last two days. Winds will shift Sunday night with the expected cold front coming from Montana, with low's in the upper 60's. Yesterday didn't turn out as planned, while at the grocery store, we ran into a couple that we had lost track of, so I got an extra bag of ice for the cooler and we went to lunch. A quaint place where my wife gets portabella burgers and I get filet mignon. Upon exiting, we heard the sounds of "Steppenwolf" coming from the bar next door. Seems that they play 60's music from 11:00 until 3:00. So what do a pair of retired couples supposed to do on a lazy Friday afternoon but sit and drink in a bar and reminisce, for hours!:cool: That of course delayed my nap until mid-afternoon after which I checked out the pool with another brew. So the train shed remained vacant all day. A good time was had by all.
Thanks for the comments on the pictures, Johnny, Garry, Jesse, Chet and anyone that I may have missed.

Johnny - Have fun with the ceiling, and good luck with the remodel in general. Ours took longer than planned but we remained under budget. We actually lack one piece of quartz backsplash that's being custom cut, but everything is fully functional (my wish) and it all looks good (wife's priority). Our contractor made one mistake which turned out to not be a mistake. He thought that he installed the shower faucet upside down, but after removing the wall on the backside in the other bathroom, he discovered it was correct. It was then that he realized that the reason that he got hot water when he turned on cold was that it was 112° outside and under the house where the pipes are, and the water was hot until it all ran out, and the cold water from the underground supply line reached the bathroom. :rolleyes:
Garry - Thanks for the additional picture from the Casey Jones Museum. I had forgotten that the funeral wagon was there. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your visit, I certainly enjoyed mine several years ago. Great picture of the dumpster, errh the engines I mean. RE: Ken (D&J), he's been posting in other threads, just not here lately. I noticed a post in the "securing track" thread and I think he also posted in the ScaleTrains tunnel motors thread. Iron Belt Ken just started a thread about cracked gears earlier this week. He also did an extensive one about cleaning wheels recently.
Terry - Congratulations on the bonus. While I would say spend it on trains, I am sure that your current priorities are different.
Chet - That is really a cool thing to do with the circus. Glad that they found a way to preserve it. Nice looking switcher as well. Maybe there's a setting to speed it up.
Sherrel - Good to see your post. I was concerned that the HOA had dragged you to the dungeon. Great that you got things resolved with them. Enjoy your time at the beach and be safe. Give my best wishes to Kate as well.
Louis - I was going to comment about you posting two days in a row, but you beat me to it.
Jesse - Here's a not so good view of a Walther's grain elevator with covered hoppers present. This is the one that I referred to on Monday's post. I have six others that I will post as time permits. That's a scale house/office on the left, although it may not be in that position after I finally "plant" this area.
08-16-18 006.JPG

Hoppers l-r are Athearn blue box, MDC (Roundhouse) and P2K (LifeLike) kit. Klemme needs weathering.

RANT: NFL - I quit watching a few years before the "take a knee" stuff started, but that cemented my position. In the last decade, the overpaid "prima-donnas" who play, have absolutely ruined the sport; politics have invaded in determing which offenders get punished and which ones get a "free pass"; most owners have no b***s, the commissioner is an idiot beholden to players not the sport, the preseason is a joke and there are too many teams for the limited supply of good talent that is available. TV networks shot themselves in the foot by showing (and promoting) the protests which ultimately caused all of their ratings to drop. Of course that's not what they attribute the ratings drop to. But...! If I had been that overtly political at my place of employment, I would have been fired immediately. My opinion only here. End of rant.

Everybody have a good day and a great weekend.

Back