Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltimore Memories‎ - Baltimore,Maryland Memories
Inner Harbor view taken from Federal Hill Park - Baltimore, MD. circa 1960

1569320105983.png

Good morning Everybody!

It's 70 with 75% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

It was in the mid-90s yesterday, summer just won't let go! The high today is supposed to be only 81, but yesterday's forecasted high was only 88.

Have a great day Everybody!

Morning all,

Garry: Glad to hear you family is OK.

kbkchooch: I saw what you did there.....lol

Supposed to be partly cloudy and rain this evening, high of 85.
Perfect night for trains maybe....With the glue now dry, I can start setting the rails in place. Then get the rest of the stuff figured out.

Yeah, I remember those "facilities." My Cost Guard cutter went to Gitmo for six weeks underway training in January of '74. One day, I got left ashore to take care of some ship's business. It only took an hour or so, and I spent the rest of the day clambering around the hills behind the base. Had a rather unique experience: I was standing at the top of a hill and saw a small raincloud heading toward me, in an otherwise clear sky. The cloud passed not quite overhead and would have left me untouched, but I stuck out one arm into the rain and got it drenched. Totally bizarre!

Well, Holy Moly, Beady - - I was there in January 1974! My work was up on "The Hill" in the comm hut. Some of my buddies and I would bike out to the beaches on our days off or else climb around those same hills you mention. Small world!!

Good morning everyone. 60 and partly cloudy. The cool-down has begun. time for coffee, and scrambled eggs and bacon, please, Flo.

Patrick, Sherrel, Louis, CambriaArea, Zkr78, Beady, and anyone I may have missed - Thanks for the likes on my post yesterday.
Garry - Glad to hear your SIL is okay and continued prayers for your BIL - I agree with Karl: cars can be replaced but people can't.
CambriaArea51 - Nice photo - the John Deere company would be proud! Are those rocks to the left in that photo? Those things look like they could stop a truck, but then, "Nothing runs like a Deere"!!! :rolleyes:
Chet - Did I read that there's snow in the upper elevations of Montana?! Time to close your south door!!

Okay, everyone - I'm going to try an experiment. There's a small area of the layout that needs to be developed. It's a lumber company at the south end of my small town. Here are two "Before" photos. As I go along, I'll post progress photos and post a "Before" photo to compare it with. I've already "dry-fitted" what I want to do, now it's time to do it - Basically, I'll add a small hill between the road and the existing spur, do the scenicking on the hill and around the building, install a switch and add another spur for the finished product cars, and add some workers at the structure. Also need to clean up the background scenery, which has been there in "placeholder" format for a year or so.:(

Lumber1.jpg
Lumber2.jpg

It will probably take a couple of weeks before I get all that done. We'll see how it looks.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Still in Gulf Shores AL where it is 73° and mostly clear. Beautiful day in store here, but I miss the train shed back home. Last night we ate at a restaurant next to a marina and looked at future boat purchases.
IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Here's our little group, minus me, enjoying drinks before dinner.
IMG_2245.JPG

I plan on visiting the train museum in Foley AL about 15 miles north of here today. Been there before and nothing has changed, but there is so much on the approximate 20' x 60' O scale layout that it is always worth going back to see what I may have missed.

Sherrel - I like that idea of using those light panels that you posted Sunday.
Z - Enjoy your business trip. Looks like an ideal location.
Louis -
I started draining our pool Saturday and it is still draining. It's ironic that we had such a summer like weekend, but the water temperature in the pool had dipped to 71 by Saturday morning, too cold for my family!
Ironic yes, but the water temperature is relative much more to the amount of sunshine it gets, rather than the air temperature. 71° is way too cold for me as well.
The magazine refers to O gauge trains and I thought "if reliability is an issue with O gauge, it may be even worse in HO". I know from my own experience HO is much more troublesome then O when it comes to reliability.

Every Lionel O layout I built was reliable, flip the switch and it works and does not require much maintenance.

With the exception of one, every HO layout I built took much more time and effort to make it work and keep it working.

My question is; what method or methods did you and do you use to build and maintain such a reliable layout? Are there some basic fundamentals that can't be overlooked?
No time to get into it right now, maybe after I return home. Step one though is reliable trackwork.

Chet - That museum, even though it started as a model train museum and is still called that, has certainly expanded beyond their original intent. They make a lot of money to support operations by sponsoring kiddie birthday parties, they were having one for 40 kids while we were there. I left as soon as those kids (and parents) were released into the museum; it was already a bit crowded.
They also have a K'Nex display. This is a small part of the display.
IMG_2176.JPG

Sherrel -
QUOTE="Sirfoldalot, post: 463720, member: 2010"]Willie - nice pics - looks as if they have the same white sand there as Destin, FL... I forget - why are you and Arlean NOT staying at the house?[/QUOTE]
Destin is just 70 miles east but their sand is just a little more white due to discharge here from the nearby Mobile River. Arlene and I are not staying at the house this year due to the stairs up to the bedrooms. There are still stairs to navigate to get in and then down to the beach. Yesterday, she didn't get past the pool on the porch. Her improvement continues, just at a slower pace than she wants. Last doctor visit was somewhat a bring down when he reminded her that he told her before the surgery that it would be one year before complete recovery.
Garry - Good to read that things weren't as originally as bad as thought with your relatives. Thoughts and prayers still from me.
Mikey - I was at that museum 3 years ago, and WOW what a surprise to see the expansion. One young lady acting as a hostess at the door mentioned that they were soon going to open a third building. Hopefully they will better organize things, such as grouping N scale with other N scale, Lego with Lego, etc.

No time right now to dig through the remaining museum or swimwear pictures, maybe some later today.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning Railfans: Supposed to reach 91* today - was 87* yesterday - the record of 102* was 2002.

Nothing exciting on tap for today. Spousal Unit went to a "clinic" for her surgery last evening; she has to attend 12 weeks of meetings - once each week, lose 10% of her weight, and then they will decide if she is a candidate for the surgery! If she misses two meetings (I think she said in a row) then she has to start all over with the program - WOW. She is given 2 tickets for each meeting and has to turn in one of them at the end of the class. She keeps the other ticket just in case to prove that she was there if records are lost? I was going to go with her, but daughter here aced me out!

Johnny - Your layout looks very nice. You have done a great job!

Willie - Apologies - I think I misspell Arlene's name about half the time.

Louis - I really don't have a hard down favorite BB team - don't know why - I always seem to pull for the underdogs just because I hate to see them in the basement all the time? I have a lot of friends in the St Louis area and I pull for the Cubs just to needle them - there is great rivalry there! Maybe I should take a closer look at the "Birds" and cheer them on? I guess that part of my problem is that I have lived in too many places during my life and this place is where I have put down roots the longest. I call myself a Green Bay fan because of a good friend in Kansas City in the 60's, and the fact that they play in the most horrendous weather around it seems. I think their uniform colors are pretty too!
:p:D:p

Garry - Your family members dodged a bullet there - very lucky!

Patrick - Glad to see that you are making progress!

Enough rambling - I didn't finish doing anything yesterday - going to see if I can complete it today?

Howdy ....

Thanks for all the comments about the accident I mentioned. Both SIL and BIL are now out for the hospital. They have aches and pains, but they should be okay. The accident was caused when another vehicle ran a stop sign and hit them broadside.

Thanks for all the comments about the accident I mentioned. Both SIL and BIL are now out for the hospital. They have aches and pains, but they should be okay. The accident was caused when another vehicle ran a stop sign and hit them broadside.

Those are bad news types of accidents. Glad to hear it is nothing more than aches and pains.

I was in a left turn lane at an intersection once, and the through lanes in the direction I had been going still had green. A guy ran the red right in front of me and broadsided an SUV and flipped it. Was scary to see.

Afternoon All,

Did some outdoor chores before it got too hot to be outside doing anything besides getting into the AC. Thursday Phil, Jon and myself will try to get together again after last week fell through.

Garry- Great family news.

Louis- Nice 1:1 photos.

Karl- Nice looking WM motive power.

Johnny- Nice looking scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Started the day off at 48 degrees and it is now 72 and sunny.

Garry - Sad to hear about your families accident. I handled way too many accidents when I was an accident investigator and a broadside accident can be among the worst. Happy to hear that their injuries weren't serious. Hope that they recover soon.

Willie - I am really enjoying your photos of the visit to the gulf coast. Makes me want to think about a similar trip when it is B/S below zero up here. Enjoy!

Tom - Like the "Plow In" photo. One quick way to get a field plowed in a hurry.

Louis - A lot of Penn Central power today. Like the Alcos. Likethe NP Challenger also. Have a photo my uncle took of one that got ran into the turntable pit in Helena, MT.

Karl
- Sweet shot of those WM Alcos. Thumb up.gif

Johnny
- Like the before photos. Looking forward to see what you do with all of the unoccupied real estate.
Yes there was a bit of snow at the higher elevations and for the most part, our summer is history. I was hoping top get to the club Saturday to see how the F-7 A-B-A trio would run, but as of now the Saturday high is forecast to be 41 and a low of 26 with snow in the forecast also.

Curt - The Northern Pacific F units (a limited special run) are Walthers Mainline units. They have the exact same drive as the Proto series, butjust lack a bit of detail on the body shell. I can take care of that.

It took a while to get that 45 car train broken down. Did it all using various locomotives sorting the cars out in either hidden staging tracks or in one of the yards. Now I have clear track to run the RDC.

thumbnail_20190831_150756.jpg

Later

Howdy ....

We call those sorts of "accidents" as being "T boned".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back