Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Bunce - ‎Classic Penn Central
Penn Central #8850 approaches BO Tower in Kalamazoo, Michigan in March 1973.
1569233890910.png

Brian Hume - ‎Articulated & Geared Steam Engines, Model & Prototype
"The Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway was a most unusual carrier in several ways, one of them being that the only new steam motive power it ever purchased was a fleet of enormous 2-8-8-4's. Only three other railroads (Baltimore & Ohio, Northern Pacific, Southern Pacific) owned locomotives of that wheel arrangement, and only those of the NP were larger and heavier. There were 18 of them on the DM&IR, numbered 220-237, the very first one being shown in this photograph taken in th main Proctor, Minnesota, yards on June 19, 1959. (That date indicates another of the DM&IR's claims to fame, as it was one of the last Class I railroads in the country to use steam power for regular freight operations. Ore movement was not completely dieselized until 1961, and a couple of the 2-8-8-4's stayed alive in excursion service thru 1962)... Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway Company" The post card was published by Vanishing Vistas of Sacramento, CA in 1972. The photo is by Stan Kistler, the text by Robert A. Le Massena

1569234059628.png

American-Rails.com
A busy scene (circa, early 1950s) along the Baltimore & Ohio's East End at Sir Johns Run, West Virginia (Cumberland Division) next to the Potomac River; a nice A-B-B-A lashup of FT's are ahead of a manifest to left while what appears to be 2-6-6-4 #7705 (KB-1a), a former Seaboard Air Line unit, leads another manifest to the right. Photographer unknown.
1569234416252.png

Good Morning Everyone from Gulf Shores AL, where it is 75° and partly cloudy. Wind which has been in excess of 15 mph the last two days has died down somewhat, making the waves a little less treacherous. I met the local lifeguard yesterday.
IMG_2235.JPG

A lot cleaner than the four-wheelers back home!
A few bikini's for Sherrel.
IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Most of yesterday was spent just relaxing after two days of travel.
Here's my SIL, in a position that didn't change from 0900 until 1630. I can't do that, no interest in just watching waves for 7+ hours

IMG_2228.JPG

Apparently my wife picked up the camera and took a picture of the most handsome guy on the beach, well I am at least in the water.

IMG_2225.JPG

Here's a beachside view of the house that SIL and group are renting.

IMG_2222.JPG

It has a pool on the porch.
IMG_2223.JPG

And quite a private walkover to the beach.
IMG_2224.JPG

I'll close this post with a sign at our condo that greets everyone when the elevator doors open.
IMG_2236.JPG

Hint: All of the balconies overlook the pool area.

I'll be back with more layout pictures from the Gulfport museum.
Everybody have a great day. See you soon.

Raincoat2- I see something that I have not seen in many other scenes, the rectangular hay bales.
They are a natural detail for most barn scenes. Did you purchase them or make them?
I need to find a source or make them myself.

Mikey - I bought those rectangular hay bales quite some time ago. I think it was at a Hobby Lobby here in Springfield. Don't know offhand who else might carry them. Hope this helps.

Good morning everyone. 66 and partly cloudy. Cool down has begun - mid 80s for highs now, and nighttime temps in the low to mid 60s. Haven't been on the forum since Friday, but glanced through all of the posts - there are some great photos there.

Sherrel, Wheeler, Chessie, Cambria, Garry, Willie, Louis, Chad, CCoffran, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post last Friday.
Willie - Nice photos from the museum

Not much to report from the train room. Had the kids and grandkids over yesterday for dinner and got to run the trains for them. They liked the new barn. Been working a lot in the woodshop, getting things finished for the craft fair coming up in October and filling that order from a gift shop in NY. Remember, this is one of the ways I fund my model railroad habit, so I've got to spend some time at it.

Right now, gotta run to an off-campus Board meeting. As much as I hate these meetings, they DO tend to get some things done, and they are always fueled by lots of coffee and pastries!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Again. Got a little time for more museum pictures. Here's a few from the O gauge layout.

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

It's important to remember that this is a model train museum. None of the layouts are really set up for operation, just mainly to display stuff and run in continuous loops. Hence scenes like the service station facing the tracks, etc.

We've been posting lately about Champion Packing and Walther's stockyards, Here's what can be done when you have unlimited space.
IMG_2196.JPG

And a few photos from some of their N scale layouts.
IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back