Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all, it is already 75 and we are headed into the 80's.

Louis-- I like the war photos. My great uncle was in the 743rd tank batallion and was in both the Battle of the Bulge and Omaha beach on D-Day. I ended up with his war memorabalia, it is in a box for safe keeping.

However we do keep the small jar of sand he brought back from Omaha Beach, still in the original container, on our bookshelf in the living room. Luckily I found it while the label was still legible, since I have had to re-label it.

Thats all for now, Dave

Morning Coffee Shop People!
Going to be 77 today (yesterday was in the low 80's) Last year on this date 83 and record 91 in 2015.

Managed to make it to Costco yesterday morning to get one of the vehicles gassed where the price was 40 cents cheaper than most places. The Pacifica requires midgrade and they gouge for that; also managed to stock up on many "big lot" items for the house as well as some meat, fish, and drinks for the extra fridge/freezer in the garage - paid $50.00 for that Sears fridge from a yard sale 11 years ago and it is still going.

Pactrick - I'll add to the congrats pile!

LOUIS - hell of a writeup this morning -- you maybe should hire out as a political consultant? That seemed to be Harry Truman's problem - he was too honest to be a politican, and when he left, he did not try and take the silverware with him.
My thoughts: I believe that the US will not survive as we have known it in the past - too many hands trying to grab free stuff!
Think it was Franklin who said: "You have a Republic if you can keep it."

Good morning. Francine, a couple of eggs over easy, sausage and home fried please.

A big change in our weather here. When I was leaving for Livingston yesterday, it was sunny and I saw 91 degrees on the thermometer and today the high is only supposed to be in the low 50's with a low in the 30's. Raining now. Should warm back up in a couple of days.

Louis - Those are some good looking boys you have there. I watched some of the D day ceremonies yesterday which were something else. I had the opportunity to have visited Normandy years ago and it's hard to believe that the Allies were able to pull off that invasion. One of my favorite movies is "The Longest Day". My wifes father was on the beach at Normandy during the invasion and he never talked about it. Good photos Louis.

Patrick - Congrats on the new grand daughter. I can relate to looking for tools. My workbench is on the main level of the house with the layout in the basement and at least I get some exercise going up and down looking for something.

Garry - Nice photo. Hope the surgery goes well.

Here are some photos that I took at the club yesterday.

During the winter, out scenery lady did this scene. It used to be a stone quarry but she did a great job on it. I am trying to get her to come over and work on my layout.

thumbnail_20190606_143622.jpg

thumbnail_20190606_143632.jpg

One of the members has a number of SP&S locomotives. Didn't know they had so many paint schemes.

thumbnail_20190606_133356.jpg

thumbnail_20190606_140858.jpg

Here are a few photos of the only town on the layout. They have a trolley running through the town that reverses at the end of the line going back to the other end. Kids enjoy that.

thumbnail_20190606_130532.jpg

thumbnail_20190606_130524.jpg

thumbnail_20190606_130516.jpg

In the last photo, the switch at the right side takes the train into the old coal bunker room where the Mine, meat packing plant lumber mill and east yard is located.

Later

NEAT PHOTOS, CHET!
Thanks for sharing - quite a layout - club is very lucky to have such a talented scenery person, however I think you could fill in somewhat? Your pretty darn good!

Howdy y'all. Woke late-can't seem to get started mentally. Even the coffee isn't helping.
It's 88*- should hit 92* later if the rain doesn't get here first. Muggy as sin. The air is so heavy it's hard to breathe.
Hope all have a GOOD day. Prayers and Blessings,
Phil

Afternoon All,

Got a haircut today and haven't done much else. For some reason I couldn't get motivated to start on the flat cars. I have nothing planned for the weekend.

Patrick- Congratulations on the new addition to the family. I solder all rail joiners except the side that joins a turnout. If no turnout is involved I solder both sides. My layout is inside my house so humidity isn't a issue.

Garry- Best wishes for your surgery.

Chet- Great club layout pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening ...

Chet and Curt .... I appreciate your well wishes t one regarding my surgery scheduled for Monday.

Chet ...... The club layout photos are very impressive. Thanks for posting them.

Patrick ... I solder all rail joints My layout is in a dry location with uniform temperatures.

Good morning. It's 79* , humid ,not a leaf stirring., No birds chirping either. Expecting t/s in p.m. Had thunder yesterday but no rain.
Wish everyone a good day, Prayers and Blessings,
Phil
Whoops, starting to thunder. Shutting down. Back later.

Good Morning All. Clear and 68° to start the weekend here. Supposed to make it into the 90's today, surprisingly for the first time this year (officially), very slightly ahead of the 30 year average. However it's not unusual to get a day or two in May above 90°.
I'm ready for sausage, cheese and egg biscuits this morning Francine. Make it two with a nice cool glass of orange juice.
Started the day yesterday with a bit of mowing, paused and pruned some wildly growing limbs on a number of trees (I have over 200 to mow around!) that have been slapping me in the face lately, but didn't finish the yard, I maybe got 2/3 acre done.:( Something to look forward to today. Lots of other branches to go. I'll get far more yard work done Monday and Tuesday when a cool front keeps the high temperatures below 80°.:)
I had a little time in the train shed yesterday and in between the ongoing project of adding ground cover, and running trains; I did some more assembly of the Masonic Lodge. Here are the first three walls attached to the base.
06-08-19 001.JPG

06-08-19 004.JPG

Not sure why there is a floorplan printed on the base, those details if modeled would be extremely hard to see. That being said, I am still considering starting the stairway against that RH wall (from this view); as I think that it might be visible in the next view, even when the second floor and roof are added, especially if I add a light bulb. Hmmmh! Maybe an event center with a band and lots of partying citizens!
Another head-on view.
06-08-19 003.JPG

There will eventually be a balcony in front of those second floor doors.
This is "officially" the mid-point, as I am halfway through step five of nine. Most steps have several paragraphs and sub-steps.
BTW these pictures bring out things that cannot be seen in person, even when wearing the Optivisors. :confused: Despite some grumbling, this has been an enjoyable project and I think that it is going well.

Patrick - Heck, I misplace tools and detail parts right in front of me on the workbench all of the time! At least I don't have to walk upstairs to find them.
Garry - Prayers for your surgery. At least they're not removing a useful body part.
Johnny - Patience my friend. Rome wasn't built in a day. I am looking at certain projects (and have been for several years) that I know that I won't get to until 2021. If I spent eight hours a day on the layout then it would be just like another job; not a retirement hobby! Well OK, I participated long before I retired.
Dave - Great story about the jar of sand. How neat!
Sherrel - Not sure how much you paid, but regular gas around here is at $2.39/gal even at the name brand stations. Didn't check Buc-ees though.
Regarding your statement about "free" stuff; it seems like the more free stuff that you give out, the more free s**t people leave in return. Look at LA, SF and Seattle for proof.
Chet - Hard to believe that there is only one town on a layout of that size. But then of course they are modeling Montana!

Saw that Dr. John passed away Thursday. I saw him and his band several times in the late 60's - mid 70's. Bizarre character, unusual but very good music and a great entertainer overall. He sure could give that piano a workout. Here's a clip from 1996 with Eric Clapton on guitar:

That's it for this morning. Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning from the West where they say it will be 82 today - 90 last year and record 100 in 2015.

GARRY - guess I missed something - What is your surgery?
Anyway - Best Wishes, Good Luck, and a Prayer for you.

WILLIE -- Yourcard building is quite impressive. That is turning out to be a real eye-catcher - I am impressed!
Concerning the gasoline - The mid grade (at Costco) was $3.65; Reg was $3.44 ... Reg at ARCO (next cheapest) $3.95.

BTW -- I played your DR. John VID and U-Tube then directed me to this one - much more interesting! Now, I will be forced to dust off my Plano tackle box?

Last edited:
Good morning all, We are going to be in the 80's today again. Yesterday broke 90. I don't mind the heat, luckily.

I smell french toast, makes me hungry for some!

Willie-- the Masonic Lodge is really turning out. Here is a photo of one I saw in Superior, Wisconsin a couple weeks ago. Maybe about the same time frame but a bit more ornate with the pillars.

unnamed.jpg

Chet-- your train club has a great layout! Excellent scenery!

I found this photograph in my stuff, didn't even remember I had this caboose. I remember now that I purchased it on ebay, it was a professional job (real glass windows, not plastic) and other details but something was botched on it (can't remember what) and they sold it cheap. I guess there is stuff packed away that I am not aware of.

When I get the new space going it will be like a whole bunch of Christmas's when I begin unpacking the totes.

Here is the shot with the caboose, also the cool H-10 loco (which I kept). Still plan on running my transition era from time to time. Thinking of making a hidden below grade area to store trains.

Grizzly flats 001.JPG

more later, Dave

A chilly good morning. started off at 36 degrees and there was snow on the foot hills. The snow level missed is by 500 feet.
thumbnail_20190608_084232.jpg
Hard to believe it was in the 90's a couple of days ago. Another crappy day so I hope the other half doesn't have any honey dos so I can head down to the train room.

Willie - The building is coming along nicely. There is the town of Gardiner on the club layout also so I guess there is more than one town, plus there is a passenger station next to the east yard, but no town buildings.

Dave - Keep those layout photos coming. Enjoy them a lot.

Here are a few more club photos. The F& B unit is at Walthers so all I have the the A unit but it is a good pulling locomotive and can easily handle 16 cars on the grade. There it is coming out of the other room with the east yard waiting for clearance to get onto the main line up to the summit.

thumbnail_20190606_142827.jpg

Here it is again passing the ice house and the entrance to the main yard.

thumbnail_20190606_140045.jpg

Lastly, there is the Milwaukee Road SD-9 climbing the grade. The summit is on the tracks above it.

thumbnail_20190606_144845.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Not much going on today. I always tell myself that I'm going to work on the layout but I find myself doing other things all weekend. It's quite the bummer to say the least. Anyways here's more C&O photos for y'all to enjoy.
9d131a43-2315-4c53-996a-b31482422bc8.jpg

a64b700a9a9cd805dcf8f5cfcd508e25.jpg
princeWV.jpg
DPO-CO-4415-01.jpg

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent a couple of hours starting on the FM flat cars. I cleaned off the resin flash from the main car bodies and prepped the stake pockets. I decided to go with Tichy stake pockets (although I had to sand the bottoms). The kit had 2 different options that I didn't like, not to mention the pain in the butt to clear the pockets of flash.

Toot- Sorry, he's a middle aged man.

Willie- Really nice job on the building so far.

Sherrel- Regular is running around $2.60 a gallon here.

Dave- Nice layout picture.

Chet- Nice club layout pictures.

Justin- Nice 1:1 photos.

20190608_144148.jpg

20190608_144158.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back