Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1560080754970.png

Car show this weekend In Saint Marys, Tasmania, Australia. - photo from St Marys Cranks & Tinkerers
Did they finish the bridge yet? :)

Morning Coffee Shop People!
Going to be 77 today (yesterday was in the low 80's) Last year on this date 83 and record 91 in 2015.

Managed to make it to Costco yesterday morning to get one of the vehicles gassed where the price was 40 cents cheaper than most places. The Pacifica requires midgrade and they gouge for that;

You must be talking about the older German made Pacifica. I have it's little sister the Crossfire, and that one requires premium. Stings a bit when you fill it up!

Good Morning All. 72°, clear and sunny,, headed up to 94° later today. A 35% chance of thunderstorms has been added to this afternoon's forecast ahead of the cold front. Tomorrow's high around 80°, which is a cold front around here in June. Let me have a stack of those whole wheat blueberry pancakes this morning Flo, lots of maple syrup and a handful of bacon.
Just got back from my morning walk a few minutes ago and greeted some of my neighbors standing at their fence, naked they were. They reminded me of my favorite Gary Larson cartoon from the last century:
mindful-eating-cows.jpg

Spent most of the day on the tractor mowing the SFW estate yesterday, rotating with dips in the pool. I now have about 2.5 acres done, just a half acre left to go. It's been nice walking on dry ground for a change. I am going to have to deal with an eroded spot in the front corner of the property where the fiber-optic crew installed a vault. They put the dirt back OK, but the grass hadn't had time to cover the area and a washout developed. I could leave it be, but it's impossible to mow around.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's progress update; Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Phil, Justin, Curt, Jerome, Louis.

I was late getting out to the train shed yesterday, but I still got some stuff done. Got the fourth wall in place on the Masonic Lodge, but not before I had to correct a minor issue with one of the other walls. Had to unglue about 1.5" of wall and clear out some unwanted debris that had inadvertently gotten into the joint. Didn't notice it previously since I had many weights/blocks pressing things together. Not a biggie, but time consuming. Sometime last week, I had also moved my base of operations to the other side of the peninsula and started working on ground cover and other scenery around the fertilizer distributor. I got all of the grass in and will now focus on the gravel drives and parking lot. I also started on some trees for the whole area, none installed yet, but trunks prepared and painted and locations scouted out. Since I didn't take any progress pictures, I will post instead some other structures from the layout. I know that Chet and others are interested in many of these.
First up as another tavern; I have many of these. It is called Nine Mile House and is a laser-cut kit from American Model Builders.
06-09-19 003.JPG

Kit was designed so the front doors could be in any of the front openings. It currently resides on an undeveloped part of the layout, hence I have not added any people or other details yet.
I have shown the back of the Stone Bakery before. It is a discontinued DPM kit. I have a second unassembled one that I am going to replace this one with under a different name.
06-09-19 010.JPG

How about the front?
06-09-19 009.JPG

And the other side.
06-09-19 007.JPG

I will most likely move this structure to a different location as I upgrade this particular area. The front with it's Queen Anne windows and interior detail is not visible at all.

Chet - More excellent pictures showing off the club's scenery.
Curt - I wish you better luck on the flatcars than you experienced on the tanker. By the way, how's Mom?
Jerome - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning Everyone and it's a nice one! Expected 89 today with a clear sunny sky.
Last year this date was 89 and the record was 92 in 2015.

Bunco group was a success - 20 guests and lots of good eating - today's mission will be to pick up all the tables and chairs to return to the proper owners. Two people were absent due to sickness and one due to having knee surgery. BIL went on a week long "cattle drive" in Montana and came back with a cold - daughter came down with a bug of some sort that had her restricted to the bathroon frequently, and two others were AWOL due to an Angeles game. The Spousal Unit managed to win $5.00 which got me back 1/2 of what I had in the pot -- but she kept it - still leaving me short!

ALAn -- Good to see you in the Coffee Shop - don't be a stranger!
I am not sure where that car was made - I thought Canada, but now you have me looking about?
I feel with you about the higher octane fuel; out here that will break you - criminal I say!
What year do you have, and how has it served you?

Willie - you got me all excited about the naked neighbors until I scrolled down a bit. Good one!
Believe me - when I gas that beast - if I only need a half tank - I have been known to top it with reg!
Not sure I can understand why it needs the higher octane? It is the exact same motor that is in my P/U - a 3.5 ltr V6.

Good morning all, a comfortable 68 outside headed for 75.

Will be attending a grand-niece confirmation a little later this morning, nice that we won't all be sweating in the old church building!

Willie-- the "stone bakery" building looks a lot like my Emily Inn, it is a cafe on the bottom and rooms above. Made it from cardboard finished to look like stucco.

I guess when you are modelling in 1/87 there are only so many configurations you are going to have that will fit in your space.

Louis-- interesting photos

Terry-- "still" raining, sounds like you have been getting soaked

Alan-- Good Morning!

Here is todays layout photo, another angle of the gravel elevator, shows some detail not usually visible. Not sure what the workers are looking at, something in the rail car:

bin2 004.JPG

more later, Dave

Good day , folks. Already 85* and MUGGY. Due for more rain later with high chance of T/S. Had a second T/S late p.m. yesterday, good ground soaker
Thanks again to all who post pictures. Really awesome to view.
Prayers and Blessings for all,
Phil

Good morning. It looks like the weather has cleared up and we should get up into the 60's today.

Louis - Nice photos. The Olds in the first photo looks like a '49. the first year for the Olds V-8. Got a car show coming up soon locally and am wondering which one of mine to take.

Willie - You got more done that I did yesterday as the weather was crappy. NASCAR today, maybe, as the radar shows rain the northern Indiana and Michigan, where the race is. Like the buildings also. You sure have a wide variety of businesses which will add so much interest to the layout.

Phil - You should be used to thunder storms down they. At certain times of the year, they can be a daily occurence down there. .

Dave - Another interesting photo. I don't recall seeing that one before.

Justin - Again, great photos.

Curt - Good luck with the flat cars. I haven't done any F&C flats, but do have a few Tichy. Speaking of flat cars, I picked up a few flat car loads on Amazon from Chooch. I like the machinery loads. I have too many empty flat cars on the layout.

thumbnail_20190609_091934.jpg

thumbnail_20190608_111000.jpg

Later

CHET- I've lived in FLA. more than 70 years. T/S , tho scary, don't bother me as much as hurricanes. T/S are a daily occurrence for the next few months. I enjoy seeing your layout as well as all the others.
Hope your shoulder is doing better and your bowling wont affected.
Phil

CHET- I've lived in FLA. more than 70 years. T/S , tho scary, don't bother me as much as hurricanes. T/S are a daily occurrence for the next few months. I enjoy seeing your layout as well as all the others.
Hope your shoulder is doing better and your bowling wont affected.
Phil

We got used to the afternoon thunder storms. We had an MGB and I could get the top up in short order if need be. I laso found out that if you could maintain 55 mph or better on the interstate and flipped the sun visors up, you wouldn't get a drop of rain on you unless it was a bad storm.

So far as bowling goes, the surgeon has me limited to lifting only 10 pounds right now so bowling is not an option. Well see him at the end on the month an I ma hoping that I get the green light so I can go down to the lanes and see what I can do. Leagues start after Labor Day so I am hoping to be ready to go.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent a couple of hours on the flat car build. I glued on 48 stake pockets and prepped the cars for brake components which I plan on adding tomorrow. Needless to say my upper back is sore from being hunched over the workbench and I have a slight headache from the magnifier visor. Had thunderstorms sweep through earlier and more are due later. It's that time of year locally.

Wheeler- Happy belated birthday to your wife.

Willie- Nice looking buildings. My Mom is doing well except my parents have their heads in the sand concerning Mom's lung mass. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned (their GP and Dad's Pulmonologist) and when I question them they have no answers. I've pushed my parents as far as I can concerning the issue so I guess it's wait and see which really pisses me off.

Dave- The conveyor belt structure is really nice.

Chet- Not to worry. This is the second set of this style flat car that I am building. The directions aren't the greatest but at this point I probably don't need them. Nice looking loads and layout pictures. Hopefully you can get back to bowling sooner than later.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone.............rain we we left from the cabin, but partly sunny here at home. Beautiful Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Took a ride in the convertible on both Friday and Saturday and yes Sherrel the convertible's motor requires premium fuel, but gasoline prices are low and we paid as little as $2.63 a gallon for regular for the P/U with our BP Club card.

Stopped at country tavern in the middle of nowhere for a soda and met a couple that lives on land that a friend's family once owned near my boyhood home and then at a dinner we stopped and we ran into our neighbors from across the road the cabin is located on and then met a couple from our hometown. Both couples have property near our cabin. It's a small world.

The area's lake water is so high that boat houses are full of water and partially submerged. A friend's log home had lake water seven feet from the foundation. Their sump pump cycles every 40 seconds. Many people still have their piers on land and not in the water. All area lakes have "No Wake" rules in effect.

Plumber came and repaired our well system. The expansion tank was low on air. The plumber showed me how the do the correct adjustments to avoid a service call the next time the problem occurs.

I brought at a junk store an antique "Wisconsin Game Farm" sign which is a yellow sign with black lettering. The sign measures about 24 inches by 18 inches. It is slightly rusted with pockets of rust and streaks of rust stains running down the side just like a box car with weathering. Wife thinks I'm crazy, but I have spot for it to hang in the cabin.

Tomorrow, I have to clean some windows in our three seasons room. Easy task since they all lift out of their tracks. Then the train room in the afternoon.

Getting the layout ready for our visitor on Tuesday evening. He has never seen the layout. I have a SOO train ready, but now I need to select another sound locomotive to pull the second train. The Rapido RDC is on a siding ready to roll. He is a retired trouble shooter for a over-head crane manufacture and traveled the country doing repairs and crane setups. He's into electronics so he should have some interest in DCC and train controls.

A book I ordered form Kalmbach, Painting and Weathering by Jeff Wilson arrived while we were gone. Looks like a very informative book.

I have to catch up on the Forum for the days I was gone.

Later everyone.....

Greg

########################

IMG_0389.JPG

A BB SOO Line Grain Car in the weathering process with oils. Next step after the DullKote dries is a dusting of weathering powder along the lower edges and roof. The rust may need some more streaking.

Last edited:
A book I ordered form Kalmbach, Painting and Weathering by Jeff Wilson arrived while we were gone. Looks like a very informative book.

I have to catch up on the Forum for the days I was gone.

Later everyone.....

Greg

########################

View attachment 37192

A BB SOO Line Grain Car in the weathering process with oils. Next step after the DullKote dries is a dusting of weathering powder along the lower edges and roof. The rust may need some more streaking.

Greg, looks to me like you could write the book on that!

Dave - Another interesting photo. I don't recall seeing that one before.

Justin - Again, great photos.

Later

Chet-- I don't do a very good job of keeping track of my photos. I have several memory cards with different shots and themes on each one. I mainly hope that I don't over post my favorite shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back