Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1559821021882.png

Good morning everyone. Happy 75th Anniversary of D-Day. Thank you to anyone still around who took part in WWII - Our life and freedom today are due in great part to what you did. Thank you to all veterans of all times - - God bless you all.

65 and cloudy in this part of the world - thunderstorms due later today.

We got home from work yesterday and I finished screwing all of the fence boards in place. Then, since it was dry for the first time in a long time, I got on the ZTR and mowed the lawn. My wife uses the push mower to do some areas to save me time and hassle. We're a team!! But still no activity in the train room - - too tired after all that work.

Dave L&SM - Meant to comment on the close-up photo of your saw mill you posted back on Tuesday - really nice detail.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 67° and a light rain shower, just enough to raise the humidity and coat the ground with moisture. Should be over before I make the grocery/beer trek around 0900.
Remember that today is the anniversary of D-Day. Prayers for all of the fallen and surviving military members who took part.
Hey Flo, sure am glad that you added breakfast burritos to the menu, I'll take a couple of sausage, egg and cheese with spicy salsa this morning.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Garry, Sherrel, Phil, Jerome, Chet.

Mostly a non-progress day in the train shed yesterday. I did a little more work on the Masonic Lodge but mostly ran trains for the better part of two hours. Switched out some industries on the lower level that haven't seen any rail service in over four weeks. Did something that I don't normally do, I ran a freight round and round on the upper level with the other throttle while I did the switching. I know that some of you guys run two trains all of the time, but I didn't get any real satisfaction from doing it.
Meanwhile here are some front views of the two industries that I showed the rear views the other day. First up is Stan's Fabricating, a medium-sized machine shop. I think that I combined two kits to make this but it was over twenty years ago and I just don't remember.
06-04-19 012.JPG

The shelf above the backdrop in the background contains both in-progress stuff and stockpiled completed kits ready for future developments. Many were salvaged from an old layout.
Next is Thomas Plating, a very small aluminum anodizing company. This is a Rix Quonset hut kit.
06-04-19 013.JPG

Louis - You posted about Texas beef a couple of days ago and mentioned Costco. Sam's Club around here now carries "Prime" grade beef in addition to their regular "Choice" and "Select" grades. Previously Prime was only available at places like Omaha Steaks or at restaurants. Not exactly cheap, Ribeye is around $13/lb.
We get the occasional honest Mayor (3 in my lifetime)...
Not a very good track record. Do you consider Stephanie to be one of the honest ones?
Sherrel - The Masonic Lodge could probably be made with styrene sheets and Evergreen shapes, but cutting .050" styrene might be more difficult. Sanding the rough edges would be easier though. The brick sheets are also cardstock which could also be styrene. Later in the build there are some injection molded parts to go along with the cardstock and stripwood. Some of the next few steps are interesting.
Same here regarding sales tax on food. Restaurants and pet food, yes; groceries, no. The state of Texas makes a lot of money from oil and gas extraction revenues. Yes, they allow fracking here.
Chet - Your weather forecast for yesterday sounded like a duplicate of mine!
Garry - You're right about my oral surgery, eight implants and nine crowns later. That plus two defective crowns that broke and were replaced free. I don't understand why I still pay the same for teeth cleaning when so many are artificial!

Regarding Beady's picture from Walmart: While I avoid the place like a plague, people watching there is always entertaining. The various hair colorings, the extra large tattooed people with minimal clothing, piercings everywhere, the lack of undergarments, the outrageous clothing, people with absolutely no pride in their appearance, men in dresses; you name it, a true slice of American pie. Lots of normal friendly people as well. By the way, I don't mean this to be a knock on anyone. I am not exactly photogenic!:eek:

Everybody have an awesome day.

Has anybody had a locomotive repaired by the manufacturer? I'm wondering how long Athearn might have my Big Boy, but I'm reluctant to call them.

I had my little Bachmann 70 ton switcher repaired and it took about six weeks. I also just sent in my Walthers Mainline F-7 B unit to Walthers and got an email back from them saying that it would take about six weeks for the repair.

Good morning all, not much changed since last evening, however now only 62 outside but still sunny. Hit 83 yesterday and headed the same way today.

I did "win" a really nice boxcar for $6 + $4 shipping which is a good deal.

Justin: The bottom photo of the "Prince" depot, any idea what state that is in?

Louis: I enjoy all the photos

Willie: more interesting buildings

Sherrel: are you deficit spending? Where did you pick that up ;)

Today I have the backside of yesterdays little cabin, I guess this photo is of the horse and the man holding on to the railing of the S-12

shack 004.JPG

I hope everyone has a good day, Dave

Good morning gang!
6th day of the month and I finally found my way here. Nice place, and the coffee is hot!
Willie, you rate of building is making me crazy jealous. I'm lucky these days to spend an hour a week at the workbench. 9 more years til retirement, I keep telling myself! As far as Walmart,

Chet, Louis, and others, keep the pics coming!

L8ter gang

Good morning. 50 degrees with another noce day forecast with highs in the mid 70's again, but the forecast also has a few cool and crappy days coming up.

Got the lawn mowed yesterday and got some other outside chores done. I think I am caught up, for now.

Beady - As I mentioned above, six weeks seems to be the norm at least for these two companies. I believe that the decoder has a problem in the B unit. It will run normally but then shut down and after a few seconds start up again and run normally.

Dave - Like your photos, as usual.

Justin - Keep those photos coming. I really enjoy them.

Willie - Like the buildings. You must have a hoard somewhere as you keep coming up with real winners.

Karl - Really enjoyed that video. I often wonder if some of these people have a mirror and look at themselves before going out in public. I haven't been in Wal Mart in years. I must be missing out on some good entertainment.

Here's another quick layout photo. An outbound waiting for clearance to leave.

thumbnail_20190603_140603.jpg

Got to get my stuff ready to go for the club run in Livingston this afternoon.

Later

Good morning ...... Honoring veterans and our troops on D-Day 75th Anniversary.

44081357231_58d850c48f_k.jpg

Lois .... It is good to see the CSX units honoring veterans and first responders. Thanks for posting photos.

WIllie .... It is good to see your continuing layout progress.

Dave ... Nice photos. Including 1/87 people adds life to realistic scenes.

Chet .... Your photo is interesting because it shows a lot of activity. Have fun in Livingston.

Karl .... LOL at the Walmart video. ..... I went to Walmart a couple of days ago, and I got ticked off enough so I decided not to go back to Walmart. It took almost a half hour to check out with only a few items. The had no express lanes open for small purchases. The self check out lanes were out of order. I had to wait for customers with very full shopping carts. The shopper in front of me had a credit card that would not work in the machine. ... Terrible delay.

Last edited:
Regarding locomotive repairs.....I wonder why the major manufactures of model railroad equipment don't have a network of locally based hobby shops that could do warranty repairs for the modeling world. I know that the service departments of the manufactures are not very large and can only handle a limited amount of repairs at given time.

I purchase the bulk of my locomotives from a LHS where I place my order via email and the LHS orders the locomotive(s) and then mails them to me. One locomotive I ordered had a defective strobe cab light. The owner of the shop where I purchased the locomotive said "Just bring it into the shop and we'll take care of the problem."

He has a smaller service department in the rear of his shop. Great customer service. :)

Honor to all veterans and active military on this anniversary of D-Day.

Greg

Morning Everyone! I wish all military personnel the best and thank all Veterans for their service!
Supposed to reach 80 later today where it clocked in at 85 yesterday, 81 a year ago and a record 92 in 2000.
June Gloom is here to stay for awhile, but it was sunny around 10AM yesterday - I managed to get about half of the windows cleaned yesterday while being interupted for "honey doo" stuff and I think I will finish them up today providing not too many added interuptions.
Local Walmart 2 miles down the road seems to have a higher class of folks than I see protrayed. I mostly use the self checkout and try to limit the number of items I have; they are considerably cheaper -by a lot - than from the union chains.

LOUIS said: "Willie, the sad part of Baltimore politics is the people are to blame. We get the occasional honest Mayor (3 in my lifetime) and they find an excuse to get rid of them."
Sure sounds like the current state of our Country from my viewpoint!
The hardest part of my getting older, Louis, is NOT being able to do the things that I once was able too - and the things I want too! On the flip side, the way the political suituation is going - if I exit tomorrow I would not mind - just really tired of it all. The "one shoe fits all" system does not work.
BTW - liked the CSX units except the camo one - just not quite right -

GARY - 150 years since D-Day?
CHET/ LASM - nice photos

The sun is already starting to peek through - gotta run.

Louis, I know that’s supposed to be modern camo, but the way it was applied looks like blotches of primer coming through the paint.
I think it’s great CSX did this, but it doesn’t look like the end results were well thought out.
Terry, I have to disagree with you on this one. I work on Fort Bragg, I see this everyday. Here is their description.

The Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP), also referred to as ACUPAT (Army Combat Uniform Pattern) or Digital Camouflage (digicam), is the military camouflage pattern used in the United States Army's Army Combat Uniform. The pattern was chosen after several laboratory and field tests that occurred from 2003 to 2004, although it has been established that UCP may well have been adopted without field testing against other patterns. Its pixelated pattern is a modification of the United States Marine Corps' MARPAT camouflage pattern which is similar to the Canadian CADPAT scheme.

flat_800x800_075_f_large.jpg

Terry, I have to disagree with you on this one. I work on Fort Bragg, I see this everyday. Here is their description.

The Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP), also referred to as ACUPAT (Army Combat Uniform Pattern) or Digital Camouflage (digicam), is the military camouflage pattern used in the United States Army's Army Combat Uniform. The pattern was chosen after several laboratory and field tests that occurred from 2003 to 2004, although it has been established that UCP may well have been adopted without field testing against other patterns. Its pixelated pattern is a modification of the United States Marine Corps' MARPAT camouflage pattern which is similar to the Canadian CADPAT scheme.

View attachment 37128
I just went back and looked at the photo again--still "no". Still looks like blotches of primer showing through the top coat.

Good morning all, not much changed since last evening, however now only 62 outside but still sunny. Hit 83 yesterday and headed the same way today.

I did "win" a really nice boxcar for $6 + $4 shipping which is a good deal.

Justin: The bottom photo of the "Prince" depot, any idea what state that is in?

Louis: I enjoy all the photos

Willie: more interesting buildings

Sherrel: are you deficit spending? Where did you pick that up ;)

Today I have the backside of yesterdays little cabin, I guess this photo is of the horse and the man holding on to the railing of the S-12

View attachment 37124

I hope everyone has a good day, Dave
Prince West by God Virginia. Right down the line from the other depot. Both depots were located along the New River Subdivision. Served as depots slash interlocking towers. Sadly they are both gone now. Would have been a nice sight to see today.

Afternoon All,

My Mom was discharged from the hospital yesterday at 5:30 pm.:D. Now she needs to get a lung mass biopsy. I talked to Phil for a couple of minutes earlier today, and we're going to meet up a week Friday at Jon's. I received the Funaro Pennsy FM flat car kit earlier in the week and I'll probably start on them tomorrow. One will be used as a idler car for the battleship gun tube diorama.

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes and prayers for my Mom. It is greatly appreciated.

Louis- Yeah, getting older is not for wimps. I like the different CSX paint schemes. The camo one looks right to me.

Willie- Nice looking structures.

Justin- Nice coal RR'ing pictures.

Dave- Nice photo and perspective.

Chet- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon all,

Very busy past week.

New grand daughter born Monday morning, but mom was in the hospital Sunday through yesterday, so the grandparents stepped in for babysitting her 6-year old sister. All are doing fine. With the time off on Monday and Tuesday, It was extremely busy when I returned to the office, so no time for reading the usual boards. Finally caught a break this afternoon. Hopefully some train time this evening as it has been raining heavily all day.

Reading what I missed in May's coffee shop:

My wife and I had triplets (2 girls and a boy) back in 1986. She always said she wanted to have 3 kids, so we did it all at once. Now their almost 33 and having they're own kids, which is making the grandparents busy...

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Very busy past week.

New grand daughter born Monday morning, but mom was in the hospital Sunday through yesterday, so the grandparents stepped in for babysitting her 6-year old sister. All are doing fine. With the time off on Monday and Tuesday, It was extremely busy when I returned to the office, so no time for reading the usual boards. Finally caught a break this afternoon. Hopefully some train time this evening as it has been raining heavily all day.

Reading what I missed in May's coffee shop:

My wife and I had triplets (2 girls and a boy) back in 1986. She always said she wanted to have 3 kids, so we did it all at once. Now their almost 33 and having they're own kids, which is making the grandparents busy...
Congrats!

(Why congratulate the grandparents? Did they participate in some way? Inquiring minds...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back