Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!
6th day of the month and I finally found my way here. Nice place, and the coffee is hot!
Willie, you rate of building is making me crazy jealous. I'm lucky these days to spend an hour a week at the workbench. 9 more years til retirement, I keep telling myself! As far as Walmart,

Chooch, my wife and I watched this together and VERY much enjoyed it!!!

We go to walmart sometimes, we have 3 within a few miles of our house, all in very different neighborhoods.

\Someone said it is like haloween in there like after midnight. Really.

THANKS for sharing! Dave

Willie, Stephanie was defiantly one of the honest ones! Not to mention she got things done, like drastically improving snow, trash, recycling and bulk trash removal.
She started the "free" lunch and breakfast at schools for any and all students, no forms, no questions asked. That coincided with a rise in standardized test scores the next year.
She gave every resident a "free" (we know who paid for them) rat proof trash can. That was money well spent I've only seen two rats in the 3 plus years since she did that. Before those cans you could see them every day if you went out before sun up.
Her otherwise conservative fiscal management led to the city's highest ever bond rating.
She initiated independent oversight of all city government departments, including the Mayor's office!
She chose not to run for reelection after the riots due to unwarranted blame being put on her. A recently uncovered report from the MTA (mass transit administration) showed there were teens who initiated the riots that showed up with back packs full of rocks. The riots were stirred up and coordinated on social media. They were unable to trace the some of the social media accounts in question as they were created by unknown foreign, but very sophisticated perpetrators outside of the country. The trail went cold in Serbia.
Not to mention her office had a revue done of the city's software and technology. It was not yet complete when she left office. Once completed the report predicted the high risk of the subsequent ransomware attack. Had the hardware been updated Microsoft offered, at no cost a patch similar to what they offered for windows XP users. I guess Catherine was too busy writing books.
Mayor Stephine Rawlings Blake was great at her job, but not so good at politics.

Sherrell, you are so very right! What has happened in Baltimore is the root problem we face throughout the country. It wears on me, but I have faith in the "American Way". We will rise above these things because there are still people who care about what is right and our forefathers set up a system that will over come these struggles.

Until recently Americans have always been great at finding compromise, with the exception of the Civil war. We will once again be "the shinning city upon the hill". Our citizens, with the constitution will over come all the bull shit and find comon ground to build on. Then we will once again advance democracy and the American way of life.

Curt, you are not joking! Getting older has been the hardest thing I have ever had to face down. The problem is no matter how hard we fight we are born to lose this battle. I won't let that dim my spirit. I'll go down smiling and fighting! I may never have started a fight, but I have to admit I enjoyed most of them.
"No point asking, when it is
No point asking, who's to go
No point asking, what's the game
No point asking, who's to blame
If your gonna die, die with your boots on"

I don't wear boots, but you get the point.

Terry, I have to agree; I suspect the end result was not as hoped.

There is lies the problem, make it an accurate portrayal of modern camo or make it aesthetically pleasing. Maybe doing both is impossible?

Maybe it's like getting a stale fruit cake at Christmas, it's the thought that counts?

Last edited:
1559902985518.png

Morning all,

What an evening. I did get the wiring connected to the bridge on the layout, but it took me a couple of hours to find my soldering iron. It has been a while since I used it last and had forgotten where I misplaced it (it turned out to be where it belonged, but I had looked for it in that drawer 3 times before I found it). Now to get the bridge wiring connected to the track.

As a related question, how many of you solder your track together? I see pros and cons for either way.

And Thanks for the congrats on the grand child.

Good morning ...

Everybody .... As info., I will be absent Sunday to Tuesday............ I am having surgery in Nashville on Monday to remove a tumor . So, we go to Nashville Sunday. If all goes well, I should be home Tuesday evening. .....

Patrick .... Congrats for your new grandchild. ..... I know what you mean about misplacing things such as your soldering iron.

Lois .... Nice looking grandsons. They look like ballplayers already.

Good Morning All. 66° and mostly cloudy this Friday morning. Just a whole wheat English Muffin and OJ this morning Flo.
Mostly uneventful trip for supplies yesterday, except the Walmart stop. I normally just go in one corner of the store, the garden section, and purchase pool chemicals; in and out in less than four minutes. But yesterday my wife (who stayed home) called me and asked me to get something in the dairy section, on the other side of the store in the opposite back corner as far away from the garden section as one could go. I bet it was at least a half-mile round trip over there and back! Not only that, but it took four different employees (and an extra six minutes) to determine just exactly where the product was. It had been relocated from where my wife told me it was, but still very far from where I started. All together, an over thirty minute stop.
Looks like I can resume mowing today, as the ground is not nearly as soft as it has been.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's pictures; Jerome, Dave, Karl, Chet, Garry, Sherrel, Phil, Justin, Curt.

Didn't get a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. I just spent too much time in the pool with cold adult beverages after the supply run. I did do a little work on the Masonic Lodge, mostly reading ahead on the instructions. I also thumbed through the most recent Trains and Model Railroader magazines that just arrived. Don't think that I took any update pictures, but I left the camera out there anyway. Plans today are for resuming scenery work on the peninsula, after mowing and pool time.

Karl - Some of these buildings are older ones rescued from my previous layout. But, after switching, my favorite aspect of this hobby is building stuff.
Chet - Before retirement, I stopped into my LHS weekly and stockpiled rolling stock and structures for eventual use on this final layout.
Curt - Continued thoughts and prayers for your Mom.
Patrick - There are indeed pros and cons to soldering track and there are diehard supporters of both. I rarely solder track. First, I am not very good at it, and secondly, I haven't had a need to do it. I attach feeders at every other track joint, thus supplying power to every piece of track. Exceptions are only industry spurs, which may or may not get feeders. I do leave expansion joints everywhere. If I lay track in warm or hot conditions, I butt each piece to the next, in cooler conditions, I use an old business card to provide a gap. That allows for expansion, which is more caused by wood expansion/contraction than the track itself. Foam layouts are not affected in the same way.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone.

Patrick - Congratulations on your grandchild!
Chet, Willie, Dave L&SM - great photos - keep posting.

More outdoor work took up my evening yesterday, so no progress in the train room. This sucks!

Have a good day everyone.

As a related question, how many of you solder your track together? I see pros and cons for either way.

And Thanks for the congrats on the grand child.

Hi Patrick, I do not solder any track together. However I think it may be a good idea to solder the jumper wires to the track.

We have lots of changes in humidity here in Minnesota and wood has a characteristic of expanding and shrinking, I found that on long runs the track can kink if not given a little play. I even leave a small space (1/32") between tracks at the joiner.

I have never used a soldering iron on my railroad and things still have seemed to work fine. I have not added a bunch of detectors or signals, either. Just your basic wiring however do separate my track into blocks with insulated joiners.

hope this helps, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back