Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1560081110479.png

I forgot to click on "post reply" to my surprise it was still there even after closing and opening my browser. You have to love this forum's software!

Patrick: In answering your question about who solders rail joiners, the vast majority of the rail joiners on my layout are soldered and I have feeders on just about piece of flex track. Soldering joiners is easy using a hot iron, flux and thin solder. It takes a little practice, but I believe soldering the joiners is worth the extra effort in case a feeder fails the electrical supply to the rail(s) will remain in tack.

I don't believe model railroad track expands like some believe it does, but rather the sub-roadbed is expanding and contracting with changes in temperature and humidity. On my layout, where it is cookie cutter, I glued on screwed the plywood sub-roadbed to the 1 X 4 risers to secure the sub-roadbed in place. Where I joined two sections of sub-roadbed together I installed (glued ans screwed) a long section of plywood to form a plate under the sub-roadbed joint to secure the joint and prevent movement later.

Likewise were I used plywood sheets in certain areas like yards or the interchange, I glued the plywood to the risers and then screwed it tight.

All wood used on the layout was given time to acclimatize itself to the room conditions which helps stabilize the wood material. I allow a week for the lumber to adjust to layout room conditions.

Chet, Dave and Willie: great photographs as always.

We park the convertible in a storage facility near the cabin and I keep forgetting to get a large Mac cup full of the gravel in the storage area driveway and bring it home. I used the sand and stone for scenery on my layout. Always next week for a chance to gather some more for my needs.

IMG_0374.JPG

Driveway gravel used on the CM&N for scenery materials and some maybe found in gondolas as well. The material is free for the asking!!! - Greg

Almost Miller Time...................

Greg

Last edited:
Good evening. It's still raining and 72. Rain so far has totaled nearly 12" for the weekend. It's WET. Floods everywhere, gloom and doom.

I have discovered something positive about owning and driving a car that looks like an unmarked police cruiser--everybody pulls out of the fast lane, and starts driving the speed limit. Wearing a black tee shirt and sunglasses doesn't hurt, I'm sure...

LOL - TERRY!

Summer came today in full force! It's 99 in the shade on my North facing lattice covered patio.
Don't know what the official temp is - but I know what it is here at the homestead.

A pic of my experimentation's with installing a Tsunami TSU-1000 decoder and iPhone6s speakers into an Atlas Silver DCC ready SD35. On these models the section of the dynamic brake shroud can be removed from the long hood (clips at each end). To mount the Decoder I have stripped all of the electrical components off the provided lighting circuit board, leaving a smooth surface to which the decoder is double sided taped (actually there is no tape at all left, just the sticky stuff).

The speakers being trialed are the 6s (shorter and wider) and the 6s Plus ( longer and narrower). The plan is to mount the speaker up inside the Dynamic brake housing, they were individually tested just blue tacked onto the top of the decoder, but even with the short testing time, the decoder's warmth was softening the blue tack. My calculations indicate with the speaker mounted up above, there should be a couple of mm gap between decoder and speaker. I have also removed a thin piece of plastic that is fitted under the fans (both there and under the radiator fans) that is put in to prevent light bleed from the LED's, to allow air flow.

The 6s speaker is shown to the left and the 6s Plus to the right. There is a 6s in the brake shroud with minimal filing off of excess plastic (a neat fit). The 6s Plus needs it's mounting bracket clipped off and has about a mm or so gap then on each side, when fitted.

Either speaker produces good sound, but I suspect the 6s plus makes a slightly more mellow tone. I place them with the opening facing forward. Only the 6s Plus will fit up inside Athearn or Genesis hoods, being a slip fit, the other is too wide. They are both slim, being about 4.5mm O.A. thick, but that comprises of 2 sections, 3mm thick, so there is an offset to them

IMG_6069.JPG

Good morning Everybody!

I was watched both the Blues vs Bruins and the Cardinals vs the Cubs games last night flipping back and forth before I fell asleep. Tough day for St Louis fans. Earlier I watched the O's take on Houston, good starting pitching, bullpen was respectable but the Astros pitchers were better yesterday. I enjoyed watching all those games despite the fact I was hoping for different results.

I hope the Blues can disappoint the Bruins fans, If they are like Red Sox and Patriots fans... The Red Sox and Patriots fans I encountered working at old Memorial Stadium were... I'll just say they were lacking sportsmanship. From what I have seen on TV they have not changed a bit.

I wish I had recorded the Dodgers vs Giants game. I love to see a 1-0 pitching dual, but I missed that one! Don't ask me why but I turned on CBS sports radio this morning. Rather than talking about the great pitching duel they talked about the only home run and the hitter watching it for too long instead of running. Why are so many people fascinated with idiots who think too much of themselves?

Time for me to get moving, Have a great day Everybody!

1560162144407.png

Good morning.. 72 * and humid-Should hit 92* later with rain-probably t/s in afternoon. Our rainy season has arrived.
Coffee is freshly brewed so I'll be back later.
Wish all a good day.
Phil

[QUOTE="ALAn -- Good to see you in the Coffee Shop - don't be a stranger!
I am not sure where that car was made - I thought Canada, but now you have me looking about?
I feel with you about the higher octane fuel; out here that will break you - criminal I say!
What year do you have, and how has it served you?.[/QUOTE]

I did a little research. Yours: Canada. Mine: Germany. It's a 2006, and I bought it in 2009 for a steal. Their value plummeted when Mercedes and Chrysler got divorced! I thought I was buying American when I bought it, but the window sticker was in the glove box, and it said "US part content: 0". Even the Chrysler emblems were made over there! The Crossfire is basically a Mercedes 320 SLK with a different body, and unfortunately it comes with the associated Mercedes costs for some things. It has served me very well for ten years and is still in good shape. No major issues, just tires, brakes, and other consumables. It's a daily driver so I had to pick up a set of winter tires and wheels or it could never navigate snow. It's 3.2 L V-6 has nearly 11:1 compression which means premium gas only. The computer can't detune enough to run regular and I don't want to find out what happens if I cheat. One of the issues with it is Chrysler dealerships don't always know how to deal with it, and Mercedes only wants to work on the engine, so you have to find a very good independent mechanic. Here she is:
Mine!.JPG

Last edited:
Morning All! Mondays...need I say more? Going back on the road soon, so modeling time will probably decrease as will posts. I'll keep up the brass projects as best I can. I've been enjoying doing stuff for myself. I was a custom painter for years and did a lot of stuff for other people. It was fun for a while and bought a lot of toys, and even a vacation or two but it became another job and all my best work went to live with other people. Doing for myself has made it fun again! There's lots more interesting stuff to be painted and it's coming!
AM-2.JPG

Good Morning All. 65° and partly cloudy. Thunderstorm arrived yesterday right on schedule a bit after noon A mean dark sky, lots of thunder, 45 mph+ winds but less than .25" of rain. Mostly it attacked areas east and south of us. Interesting pattern, as it came out of the NNE; most of our severe weather comes from the SW or NW. Storm arrived early enough that the temperature never made it up past 87°. North winds and cooler temperatures are expected to continue for two days, with the high maybe hitting 81°.
Good Morning Francine, make it two eggs over easy and lots of sausage patties this morning.
After church and before the storm, I did get another hour or so of mowing before lunch/nap. My wife went shopping and got trapped in a blinding rainstorm south of here in Denton for a while. Came out from a store and wham; sat it out in the parking lot for about twenty minutes. At least she didn't get her hair wet! I spent an hour in the afternoon cleaning the last pound of Gulf Coast shrimp that my son sent my wife for Mother's Day. Lots of fun removing heads, shells and disemboweling them. Found four separated starfish legs that must have been caught in the net! The cat wouldn't eat them.:confused: Our pet vultures ate the rest with gusto!:)

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's pictures; Sherrel, Dave, Jerome, Justin, Phil, Chet, Curt, Greg.

As per the usual Sunday, train shed time was limited yesterday. I did work a bit on the Masonic Lodge, mundane stuff right now...second floor and roof supports, but at least it's progress. Didn't work on the peninsula project. No progress pictures, who wants to see roof supports? So I dug out a picture of a cardstock farm house that I did some years back. Here it is partially visible behind and to the left of the red barn.
IMG_0456.JPG

And another view.
06-09-19 004.JPG

Sherrel - Years ago, we played Bunco with a large group of friends/acquaintances, until a couple was caught cheating on the scoring.:mad: They always seemed to win! Our carpool buddy suspected it and kept score on the side to prove it one night. He did one round with them, I did another and a third person did one also. He was pretty blatant about revealing it and they slinked out in a huff afterwards. A shame since there were no prizes involved, just the glory. Games stopped after that night.
Dave - I like the workers peering into the hopper.
Chet - I like those Chooch loads that you posted. I also like using them and I have a number of them.
ATSF 95373.JPG

Time to go, things to do. I hope to get some extra time in the train shed today since the mowing is now done for a couple of days.
Everyone have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 65 and sunny to start the day here - downright chilly! We remain rain-free for another couple of days. I plan to take the day off work tomorrow and get some stuff done at home.

Finally got to run some trains over the weekend - nothing fancy, just running them. Had the kids and grandkids over for supper yesterday. Watched some of the Canadian Open golf tournament - McIlroy killed the field!

Willie - Enjoyed seeing the photos of your layout.
Dave L&SM - good photo of your elevator scene.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning Flo, Francine, and Shop Dwellers!
Supposed to be 92 today (we may have set a record yesterday) Last year was 86 and record for this date was last year at 86, so certainly will set a new record today.
Flo - I'll just have a cup of coffee with a sticky bun this morning; I can't stay but for just a minute.
Took a couple hours to set the homestead back in order, cleanng up the kitchen, loading up the tables/chairs, and hauling out the trash. Last evening Spousal Unit and I binged on "Longmier" again - we are down to the last four episodes; it seems that it is starting to drag a little as if they are stalling for new material and spending a lot of time jumping around, or maybe I was just too tired to pay attentsion?

Just checked yesterday's temp was a record at 99.3 - same as I had on my patio!

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and with a slight wind. Getting ready to wash windows in the three season room. We plan on sitting out there with our out-of-town visitor who will be the third guest to use the room since we built it in 2005!

Have to start assembling and purchasing tools and supplies for my 10 day stay at the cabin and working on a list of repair jobs and staining. Leaving the Mrs. at home. I have to be sure I bring everything since the closest hardware store is 18 miles away and that really breaks up a work day to drive there and back to purchase an item or two.

When I finish the windows I have to figure a way to secure the hangers on a plastic hanging pot because the hangers are pulling out of the pot's rim and then the pot falls to the ground.

Then, I can go to the train room and get ready for our visitor. I'm looking forward to next Saturday when I visit the Strawberry Fest Train show in Waupaca, WI. It's a small show but I've found some great deals on locomotives and rolling stock in the past. The best deal was an estate Proto 2K GP-9 with LED's and a Tsunami sound decoder for $150. Another good purchase was four flat cars custom made by MMR Don Manlick for $5.00 each. Or a new Proto 2k F9 for $40.00. The show is only 17 miles from the cabin using the back roads and no traffic.

The worst purchase was a tank car placard brought for .50 cents and it cost $30.00 to frame the item.

Better get to work....

Greg

######################

Ore car.jpg

My goal is to have completed 100 ore cars with metal wheels, weathered of course, Kadee couplers, Chooch ore loads covered with Woodland Scenics ore. I have maybe 60 completed with the rest to start. I'm not sure if this photo is mine or not....it looks like one of mine, but old age is starting to set in.

Once the 100 cars are completed....where will I run the unit train on a layout that can handle a train that long. -Greg

Last edited:
Morning all,

Thanks all for the ideas on soldering the track. I'm still weighing whether or not I will be doing any.
My trains are setup in the finished basement and the temps and humidity are fairly stably. My track is set on cork on top of 1.5 to 2" of foam. I did the foam so I could dig creeks and ditches as I needed.

Spent most of the weekend at the hospital as my daughter (the new mom) had to go back to to extremely high blood pressure (part of the reason my Granddaughter was born early). Once they got her stabilized and we had stocked them up at the hospital (baby wasn't admitted, but still needed mom), they released her late yesterday afternoon. Then her Husband ended up in the ER for his BP shooting way too high. It was nearly 11:00pm last night before they came to our house (closer to the Dr's) and midnight when I finally got the lights out. Only to have to waken at 4:30am to get ready for work. 8 hours of sleep in the past 72 hour for both the wife and myself. Fortunately it is a quiet day so far at work. No train time as I will be going to bed EARLY tonight, maybe when I get home.

Patrick: I used some pieces of nickel/silver sectional track to practice my soldering skills. Again, hot pencil iron, clean working area, thin solder (.32) and flux and you're on your way.

Hope all the blood pressure gets under control.

Greg

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and with a slight wind. Getting ready to wash windows in the three season room. We plan on sitting out there with our out-of-town visitor who will be the third guest to use the room since we built it in 2005!

Have to start assembling and purchasing tools and supplies for my 10 day stay at the cabin and working on a list of repair jobs and staining. Leaving the Mrs. at home. I have to be sure I bring everything since the closest hardware store is 18 miles away and that really breaks up a work day to drive there and back to purchase an item or two.

When I finish the windows I have to figure a way to secure the hangers on a plastic hanging pot because the hangers are pulling out of the pot's rim and then the pot falls to the ground.

Then, I can go to the train room and get ready for our visitor. I’m looking forward to next Saturday when I visit the Strawberry Fest Train Show in Waupaca, WI. It's a small show but I've found some great deals on locomotives and rolling stock in the past. The best deal was an estate Proto 2K GP-9 with LED's and a Tsunami sound decoder for $150. Another good purchase was four flat cars custom made by MMR Don Manlick for $5.00 each. Or a new Proto 2k F9 for $40.00. The show is only 17 miles from the cabin using the back roads and no traffic.

The worst purchase was a tank car placard brought for .50 cents and it cost $30.00 to frame the item.

Better get to work....

Greg

######################

View attachment 37209

My goal is to have completed 100 ore cars with metal wheels, weathered of course, Kadee couplers, Chooch ore loads covered with Woodland Scenics ore. I have maybe 60 completed with the rest to start. I'm not sure if this photo is mine or not....it looks like on of mine but old age is starting to set in.

Once the 100 cars are completed....where will I run the unit train on a layout that can handle a train that long. -Greg

Greg- my club(Hub City Central) will have our club layout at Waupaca. Unfortunately, I won’t be there, as it is my weekend to work.

Good afternoon, super busy morning so just getting around to checking posts.

Terry-- I hope the ark is almost finished

Patrick-- something about the blood pressure issues. That is a scary thing, cause the higher it gets the more you tend to worry, like that "out of control" feeling.

I was fighting blood pressure a few years ago but somehow got it under control and now was able to drop the medication as well. For me, the biggest aid is NO SALT coupled with staying physically active.

Waiting for some kits to arrive before moving ahead on the module.

Todays layout photo, the reader and some tulips. Also a couple Great Northern freight cars: (the box car must have been an expensive one, looking at the details

Grizzly flats 004.JPG

There also is a view of the Grizzly Flats depot and one of my favorite shacks.

more tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back