Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's raining (again) and 41. Happy first full day of Spring.
I hope it will stop raining long enough for the gas company to install service here before next Winter. LP costs $3.50 a gallon here.

Good Morning All. 45° and clear with a bright full moon this morning. Expecting 75° later today as well as tomorrow. Wife was off work yesterday so we did the grocery/beer trek and killed the whole morning. Spent a lot of money, but I have lots of meat to grill for the next few days. Our granddog who is staying with us for an extended vacation was in a tizzy all day long yesterday, and will be again today. A phone company contractor is installing fiber-optic conduit alongside our easement road leading back to our neighbors. No cable, just conduit! They did the same alongside our county road about eight years ago, but that conduit is still empty. They got grants from the government to extend the service so they had all of this conduit put in. The actual fiber-optic cable comes within two miles of our place but not all the way to us.

Thanks to all for the comments on yesterday's pictures of the town progress, Dave, Garry, Phil, Johnny, Sherrel, Jim, Curt and anyone else that I may have overlooked.

Nothing new from the train shed yesterday. Another short day out there so I only ran trains. No shorts, derailments or decoder issues (I run DC), so I was happy. I usually don't get to spend much time on trains this time of year due to all of the spring chores and extra household duties while my wife is still preparing taxes.
Moving on to a different town now, I don't know if I have posted these pictures before. A couple of shots from the city of Maultown on the layout. This town juts out from the layout on a corner peninsula like the rural one I posted yesterday.
First up is a small downtown park next to a tavern, followed by a head on shot of the tavern.
07-19-18 010.JPG
07-17-18 023.JPG

Here's the main and passing siding skirting around behind town.
07-19-18 017.JPG

Dave (LASM) - Nice dilapidated structure behind the log flat.
Terry -
LP costs $3.50 a gallon here.
Wow! And I thought it was expensive here at $2.41!

Haven't used a snow thrower here all winter either since I don't have one. Been mowing the yard though and will do some more again today.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning gang
40° and raining here, but the coffee is hot. Staring out the office window I can see a construction site across the way turning into an acre of mud.
Not much going train wise here, looks like good things are happening here with you all! I'm jealous!
Time to do something, TTYL

Good morning 45° with rain and fog.

I hope it will stop raining long enough for the gas company to install service here before next Winter. LP costs $3.50 a gallon here.

Terry: Chances are that once the gas utility has established service connections, the LP supplier will either lower their price or be told to take a hike.

A phone company contractor is installing fiber-optic conduit alongside our easement road leading back to our neighbors. No cable, just conduit! They did the same alongside our county road about eight years ago, but that conduit is still empty. They got grants from the government to extend the service so they had all of this conduit put in. The actual fiber-optic cable comes within two miles of our place but not all the way to us.

Willie: Verizon is still wiring their fiber optic lines in the vicinity. five years after they publicly stated that they had completely wired the county.
They are still three blocks away from us, but have no plans of providing service, because it involves excavating to install underground cables.
The only benefit, is that the Cable Company will offer incentives, they currently don't offer. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing today's photos. 'specially like the Honkey Tonk scene. ;)

Boris

Good morning. 24 degrees with clear skies. Could make it up to the low 50's again like yesterday.

Got out of the hospital around noon yesterday. cheer.gif It was the first time I was ever in the hospital. Didn't get any sleep at all because of all of the tubes stuck in me. Felt like a pin cushion. My wife removed the last one, A nerve block IV this morning. Thanks to everyone for the concern.

thumbnail_Resized_20190320_124847_4871.jpg

This is what I saw just before the put a dressing on the staples before I went home. No wonder it hurts like hell. I did not want any opoids, but half way through the night in the hospital, I had a change of mind. It's amazing what you can take for granted until you have to do thing one handed. The worst part I think is not being ab to have any beer until I'm off the oxy.

Willie - like the photos. as usual. that is going to be quite the detailed town. Keep the photos coming.

Dave
- great photo again.

Greg -
Nice photo. The weathering on the gondola is sweet.

Going to cut it short today. The arm hurts like hell and it's a pain to type one handed. Going to try to figure out how to shave with the weak hand, or maybe grow a beard.

Later

Good morning everyone. 35 and sunny. Starting to leave the low temps behind and head to spring - finally.

Did everyone get to see that Full Moon last night, also called a Worm Moon? Bright, clear, and looked bigger than normal!

Willie - Great photos from your layout.
Dave - I like that photo of the log car and the dilapidated building behind it.

Nothing to report from the train room. Wasn't feeling so good so just rested in the evening. Feeling fine this morning. What?!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning, 32 and sunny. Robins singing at 4 am this morning, guess they got the memo about spring beginning.

Still mostly snow covered with about 6", however some bare patches. Numerous roads nearly impassible due to pothole issues. How they can have dilapidated streets in a neighborhood of million dollar homes is beyond me. I guess that is the city mentality.

Thanks for the comments on yesterdays photo. That is the sawmill which is in use. They left the boards off the side and above the blade for better visibility. When "they" constructed it, used galvanized sheet roofing was used in the vicinity of the smokestack to reduce the fire risk.

Mark, Terry, Willie, Karl, and Boris; good to hear from you already this morning:

Willie, nice to see the bigger picture of the layout

Here is my layout shot of the day, this is a boarding house and the sawmill office:

_MG_5566.jpg

I see one of the light bulbs is burned out!

Have a fine day today, Dave

Chet - you posted while I was posting - Just seeing the photo hurts - I could never be an MD or a nurse! Glad you're out and on the mend. God bless.

Weather has been on a roller coaster lately! Good Morning shop dwellers! Flo - just coffee for now - I'll have food later.
The high will only be 55 today. We had a brief cloud burst last night and it really rained hrd for about an hour - I forgot to set my bucket out - so I have no idea how much we actually received ,,, had to be north of a half inch I would guess.

I have to take my girl, Foxie, to the Vet this morning … she is overdue for a couple of vaccines and she has not had a heartworm test in a couple years. The tumor on her sholder is still about the same size. Does not seem to have enlarged and does not seem to bother her in any way. I shudder to think what may be going on in other parts of her body - wheather it is spreading or not?

Nothing else going on - I can't seem to zero in on getting much of anything done -- I'm helpless and hopeless!

Nice pics Willie -- better watch that the "braindead" folks don't tear down that statue!

Chet, that hurts just to look at it. It gives me flashbacks to the shoulder surgery I had...

Good Morning Everyone....................overcast this morning in Wisconsin once again.

Chet: Hope your road to full recovery is short. Cute photograph...I feel your pain!!!

Sherman: I used MS Excel for the spreadsheet and I tried using Ctrl X to recover the lost data or I should said re-organize the information. I think that there's more to the problem since many of pieces of rolling stock show up twice on the sheet and I know I wouldn't have entered them X2. At work I did a lot of financial spreadsheets and did a back up for each one. At budget time I worked from home and used a lot of RW disks for back up.

Back to work this afternoon on the data recovery.

Dave: Nice pic of the street scene. Speaking of potholes, Milwaukee's street are a mess with car damaging potholes and vehicles parked on snow banks limiting the through traffic. The mayor has his multi million dollars street car that basically goes no where while the streets are falling apart everywhere in the city.

I doubt the city has the funds to repair the streets other using than hot asphalt to fill the potholes and the City of Milwaukee has the DNC in 2020! A great presentation of the city.

Maybe Walthers on Saturday morning. I want one of the Woodland Scenic's illuminated billboards.

Just may try using one of my Ink Jet printed decals on the side of an ore care to se how they are applied..

That's all for now.

Greg

Last edited:
Got down to the basement last night and set up a double-track oval and siding. I just wanted something to run a train on. Wound up spending a couple of hours solving a problem where the turnouts are just a tad shorter than their straight section equivalents, and substituting two shorter sections didn't work, either. After some contemplation on the basement toilet, I remembered I had some expandable sections, but then couldn't find them. I finally realized that they were almost dead ringers for the uncoupling sections. Wound up using three of the four to line up a double-track section with a single-track and a turnout. That part was exhausting, and I was too tired to deal with the next problem.

I chose my lightest train for a first run, the Chicago Zephyr. Sure enough, it hung up on a couple of sectional joints, where the end of one rail was slightly higher than the end of the next. The train did make it all the way around the outer loop before hanging up on the 2nd lap, but the loco couldn't make it past that point afterwards, and a couple of attempts at fixing it didn't help. I bagged it for the night. At least I've identified the problem area. Oddly/thankfully, there doesn't seem to be a problem with either the turnouts connecting the two loops, or the turnouts of the siding.

I was also forced to sort some track during this exercise, and it appears I won't have to worry about reclaiming the sections that have had their plastic ballast painted and/or had more ballast glued on; I have way more clean sections than I'll ever need. In fact, I'll be able to recoup some train money by selling the "dirty" track and several other items. Thankfully, I was working a pretty high-paying job when I started buying; I just rediscovered that one of my Kato sets (including loco) is worth almost $1k on ebay.

I may take a break today and watch a movie or two. At 37° it's just a little to cold and damp to go to the zoo.

the turnouts are just a tad shorter than their straight section equivalents

Beady: I have used Kato Ready track in HO, and noticed the same phenomenon. I limited myself to their #6 switch, as much of my rolling stock did not like their #4 switches. One thing I found was that the powered #6 switches were approximately 1/16" shorter in length than the #6 manual switches. And using the powered switch didn't align so well when using it as a crossover. That's one reason why I went with micro engineering track, and code 70. Kato Unitrack generally works very well, although there is no flexibility working with the switches.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Raked the yard for the third time this year. We filled 14 lawn bags with oak leaves today, so the total for the year so far is 43 bags (all with oak leaves). Did I mention how much I hate oak trees?:mad: Tomorrow first thing I have a eye exam at VA. Of course it's a hour drive to get there and parked.

Chet- Ouch, that looks painful. I hope you heal quickly.

Willie- Nice looking structures and little people. I really like the park and the structure.

Dave- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

Chet ........ Prayers for a speedy and successful recovery. Hopefully, you can return to the bowling alleys, and your bionic shoulder will be good for your game.

Willie ..... You posted more great photos. In the first photo, do I see a lady on a man's lap? Maybe I should not ask what she is doing there. The last photo is good enough to be one of Chet's prototype truck photos of the day.

Dave LASM .... Another outstanding photo from you. I would not have noticed the burned out bulb if you did not mention it. Nice Ford in the picture.

Sherrel .... If the tumor does not bother fox now, that is good. Hopefully, it does not spread.

Everybody .... Have a nice evening.

[QUOTE="Greg@mnrr, post: 454329, member:
Sherman: I used MS Excel for the spreadsheet and I tried using Ctrl X ...

Greg[/QUOTE]
Ctrl X is a cut.... Ctrl Z is an undo.

GREG -- Have you tried, or are you able to restore the computer to a prior date?
Maybe it was too far back in time and you have done other work you may lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back