Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted yesterday regarding a new addition to the freight car roster, As I posted, it is sold as a "Ready to Run" model.
Walthers, like Athearn, have gone through several version updates over time. The passenger cars that came in those boxes, also didn't have the grabs fitted, but they were included in a packet, taped to the back of the plastic liner that the car sat in. Check to see if that's so with your box car. Today, they seem to have reduced their lines to just 2, Mainline and Proto, but even with them, there have been changes to detail.

The Mrs. made me take a break from model railroading and install batteries in her new "Battery Operated" candles.

Louis: That Christmas locomotive maybe one of the CP locomotives from their Christmas trains.

Chet: In grade school we had one school bus for two runs. In winter the first run was up what is called Tower Hill, a steep hill created when the glaciers left a high pile of gravel, a small mountain. If the bus couldn't make it up the hill, school was cancelled. Cold weather was also a factor in our 100 year old plus, four room school. If we needed to wear our coats okay and we stayed in school, but if we had to wear our gloves, then school was cancelled.

Yes, that looks like an earlier Life Life loco.

Willie: Spring planting in seven weeks!!! Winter isn't even half over in seven weeks here in Wisconsin. We start thinking about gardening in April and don't plant until late May.

Johnny: Prayers for Dena. Hoping everything comes out for the best.

Back to the layout.

Greg

4a1.jpg

In Sydney NSW, police are telling drivers to stay off the road because of heavy rain and flash flooding. Up in Central Queensland, orders have been given to evacuate to get away from an unprecedented bush fire, that is expected to develop into an uncontrollable firestorm because of high winds, record high temps and very low humidity. The area it's burning in has only one road in/out and escape will be impossible, once the fire breaches containment lines.. Luckily, I'm a long way from either event, inbetween.

Good evening .

Toot .... I'm glad you are safely out of harm's way. Flood or fire would be awful.

Greg .... The weathered boxcar is remarkable.

Chet .... Nice find. ... Not everybody has a forgotten Alco lurking under their layout.

Curt ..... Glad you agree about excessive use of cell phones.

I operated my SD24's today.

46029873542_f149e1e67a_z.jpg

Toot .... I'm glad you are safely out of harm's way. Flood or fire would be awful.
It's nice that we can share weather events with you!

Greg .... The weathered boxcar is remarkable.
Me Too!

Chet .... Nice find. ... Not everybody has a forgotten Alco lurking under their layout.
NICE indeed!

Curt ..... Glad you agree about excessive use of cell phones.
Some people are better off with their head buried in the phone?

I operated my SD24's today.
Nice indeed!

Steve Hurt over at the Frisco site grabbed all my weathering talent!
This is a beauty.

1543379920972.png

The fire situation has got worse, the conditions now classed as catastrophic with outbreaks both northeast and now southeast of the city of Rockhampton. 8000 residents of an area to the Sth E. have been ordered to pick up their kids from school and immediately head for the city and not return home. There is a storm which they have been expecting, approaching the fire zone with lightening and high winds but no rain in it.

Greetings everyone from the hospital. They're still prepping my wife for this procedure. Her turn in the OR will probably be in an hour or so. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the prayers and well-wishes.
Our hearts and prayers are with you.

Good Morning All. 35° and clear in this part of the world. Looking forward to temperatures back in the 70's for the next week, although yesterday's 58° wasn't bad. Maybe rain on Friday, but the temperature will be 78°. Moving along with the bathroom remodel, removed the old toilet yesterday and rebuilt the floor that was under the old vanity. With the toilet gone, I can finish the wall behind it. Wife still hasn't picked out the new stuff yet, including the trim and baseboard, so I will be stalled until she does. She's too busy Christmas shopping for the grandkids. Today's outdoor activity includes some more time in the vegetable garden preparing for spring planting in about seven more weeks.
I posted yesterday regarding a new addition to the freight car roster, As I posted, it is sold as a "Ready to Run" model.View attachment 32151

However, there are no grab irons installed.
View attachment 32152
Note the very shiny wheels as well.
I did get all of the holes drilled and the grabs installed, paint comes today.
Here's a picture of some of the details that I have been making for the layout.
View attachment 32153
That birdbath was made from a "push pin" that was cut up and slightly hollowed out with some kind of Dremel attachment.
View attachment 32154

Louis - Walking probably isn't really bad for you, as long as you pace yourself. Going up steps two at a time probably doesn't help...don't say that you don't do that! Racing to get five hours done in two is a little extreme.
By the way, I forgot to mention yesterday, but an Amazon delivery lady found her way to our house Sunday afternoon. She was only slightly confused because there's no number on our house or property anywhere, but she nailed it correctly! Nobody in these parts has a posted number; that's why we live in the middle of nowhere to begin with.o_O

Willie, I am amazed at how much you are able to accomplish. Bathroom work is as hard as it gets when working in the house. Even properly cleaning the bathroom is challenging for me! Not to mention all the other work you do. you should be very proud of yourself.

Keep posting your progress, I enjoy hearing about it. It's like hearing about and seeing pictures of layouts. I don't even have tracks and trains anymore but I enjoy seeing and hearing about other peoples work. Yours is fantastic!

I'm supposed to limit the amount of walking I do. The orthopedic doctors have told me "when you feel your back tighten from fatigue you need to rest" I have 12 bad disks and 3 more have completely disintegrated. They tell me my core muscles are why I am able to walk upright or even walk at all. God created us to be truly amazing machines. In some cases, when one part fails another steps up, thank God. The part I need to better utilize is my brain!

Pace is the real problem for me. It causes me to fatigue faster when I try to go too fast. The only way I know to do things is to hustle, playing ball or working. I have learned to better pace myself when I am working at home. I need to apply that to working for Amazon.

I did much better yesterday. I finished my 5 hour block in just over 3 hours. I feel much better than I did Monday morning. I really don't feel like I worked. Mornings are always bad for me, but I was making them much worse then they had to be.

I'm not super Amazon man, I finish early because I am experienced and properly sorting packages are my advantages. That and having the right vehicle for the job. My little van has 122 cubic feet of cargo space. I don't waste much time searching for packages and I keep moving. Amazon allows more time than needed, but I won't complain about it.

No numbers!!! That is not a problem when houses are as far apart as yours are. The GPS Amazon provides shows us not only where to turn but exactly where your house is no matter how big the property is. (provided you have had a previous delivery and it has been verified by Amazon's roaming GPS people) No numbers is a real problem when houses are close together. According to Amazon it is the number one reason for "undeliverable package returns" If a driver makes an attempt to deliver and comes close to the house Amazon will not hold it against him/her if they return the package to the delivery station. Amazon knows exactly where we are at all times. Drivers are held accountable, to many packages delivered to the wrong address or missing and Amazon lets them go.

Louis - Nice photos. Like that Pennsy unit. Winter doesn't close schools very often out here. If the buses can't run due to snow, the school is open and the parents get the kids to school. If the temps drop below minus 20, the buses won't run because they don't want the kids waiting for the bus in the cold. Again, the parents get the kids to school. I can remember taking my daughter to school on a snowmobile because the roads were drifted closed.

Chet the real thing is a true beauty, the model is not bad either.

Winter in the Baltimore metro area is hard to describe. People can't drive, they call out from work and schools close at the threat of snow. Baltimore City schools are little better then the surrounding counties.

The city schools don't want the kids roaming the streets and they provide free breakfasts and lunches. No forms to fill out, no questions asked, they all eat free. I think it's a great idea. I was born very poor, my Mom was too proud to fill out the forms. I was lucky to have my Nanny and Jack, otherwise I would have gone hungry.

Louis- It's your RR, which one do you like best?

Curt, that is the problem, I like them both! I decided not to buy anything, for now. My train room is the entire second floor of my house and it's packed with boxes. I want almost everything I look at. I only look at special offers and discounts, but I found dozens of them. I put together an order and the cart was over $1000. Then I thought "what am I going to do with all this".

My real problem is my hobby has no focus. I buy mostly Lionel O, but I also have HO and N. I buy mostly diesels and electrics. but I still buy steam. I buy B&O, PRR, Penn Central, Conrail, Chessie B&O, CSX, Christmas stuff and other things I find. Any one of those would be more than enough, but no, I have to have them all! I can't even decide on an Era! Not to mention all the vehicles, accessories and other stuff.

I don't want to reach a point where I have bought more than I can play with or at least display. I may have already reached that point. I need to find out what I will do with all this stuff before buying more. I'm approaching $40,000 spent on my hobby. Worst thing of all, I have spent very little time enjoying this stuff. I need to dedicate time to having fun. That will be my new years resolution.

All of my life I never spent money on enjoyable things for myself. I bought tools, equipment for work and things for resale. I bought investments amd saved cash. When I played semi-pro football and baseball I only bought what I needed. I always used whatever I bought to save or make more money.

I made up for lost time when I rediscovered toy trains! It's a good thing I was smart with my money. If I had not let my x-wife rob me I would have even more to spend on trains. I could have bought a warehouse and filled it with stuff to play with!

I have to say; thank God for my trains! Other than my family including my pets, nothing has brought me more peace of mind and enjoyment.

Come to think of it, my friends ride Harleys and drive huge fully loaded pickups, SUVs and Corvettes, I could be spending more, but I know my trains are more important to me. The upside is Lionel seldom ever loses value and I am having fun!

Last edited:
Good morning. It's mostly clear and 23.
I had a post composed last night, but our ISP decided that we didn't need internet, and the post is kind of irrelevant this morning, so it went away.
I heard back about my laptop, they are going to replace it. It's good that I have a habit of backing everything up, something I do regularly since I've suffered catastrophes before.
Something I recently found out about this brand of computer, if something happens to prevent you from starting it, your data is irretrievably lost. And it seems the computers themselves are completely unrepairable, if anything happens to them. The screen can be replaced, but that's it. Not even the battery can be replaced.

Good Morning all,

8 degrees in Central Illinois this morning. Things are starting to get back to normal after our blizzard which was named Bruce by the weather gurus. I still think it’s comical that every weather event is starting to be named.

Have a great day all.

Good morning Everybody!

No work for me today. I'm taking my Mom to Dollar General to buy Christmas cards. Great cards and even better prices. As you see being cheap runs in the family.

Have a great day Everybody!

Memorial Stadium...almost finished
Bob WillisBALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
1543410237839.png

I worked for 4 years at Memorial Stadium I started as a bouncer at the "Hit and Run" club and went on to become draft beer foreman, best job I ever had and all the free beer I could drink! They did not care how much I drank, as long as I kept the beer flowing and I always kept the beer flowing! Work first, play later.

Good Morning Everyone. 42° and clear. Another very pleasant day in store for us here, low 70's for a high. Mundane day yesterday with the usual household chores, spackled nailheads and joints in the new bathroom wall, went for two walks since it was so nice, took along a plastic sack on one of them and picked up roadside litter and continued leaf removal in the yard. Treated ourselves to supper with another couple at our sorta local Italian restaurant, Pellegrino's again Sherrel.
Thanks for all of the comments regarding yesterday's pictures, Chet, Curt, Louis and anyone else that I may have missed.
Here's another one.
11-27-18 001.JPG

Patio walls are DPM cornices, smoker/grill is bits of sprue, wire and scrap styrene with smoke made from stretched cotton. Looks like I need to file the bottom of one of the flower pots a bit. I have not yet completed the vegetation along the fence or tracks. This is a "test-fit" to see how I like it. I think that I also need to add a dog to this mini-scene. Eventually there will be six of these scenes in this area along the track.
Elsewhere in the train shed, at the workbench to be specific, I completed the drilling and added/painted the grab irons on that BN freight car. Coupler replacement and re-numbering comes next. The re-numbering might be a challenge since I have to remove numbers from between two horizontal lines. Add to that that the end numbers are black printed on the white excessive height warning band. I already have dry transfers for both.

Mark - That's interesting about banking the house with snow. Makes perfect sense, never possible here as even a foot of snow only lasts a few days.
Garry - Good luck with the future dental work. My last visit will be December 3 to have the temporary crowns replaced with permanent ones, then it's just routine cleanings after that. I have protested the fact that I have to pay full price for cleaning when over half of my teeth are artificial, either crowns or implants. They just polish them!
Chet - Plastic couplers are scheduled for replacement as I rework the car. That was just an out of the box photo. An overnight soaking in the "Blacken-It" didn't change the wheels much, just dulled them a bit so either my stuff is outdated or these wheels are impermeable.
I see that "CRS" has struck again. Happens to me quite often.
Ray - Yes I am aware of the little packet taped to the back of the Walther's cars. I've had a number of them before (mostly tankers), this is actually my second one of this model, hence the need to change the number, I like this high-cube boxcar and ATSF interchanged a whole lot of traffic with BN so it fits well with the rest of the layout.
Glad to read that you're out of harm's way for now.
Greg - My gardening season starts in late January with the planting of onions, peas, greens and some root veggies. Frost-free date is March 22. Harvest starts in late March through early June. Only a few things survive through summer like sweet potatoes, okra and peanuts. Planting begins anew in September for many short-season things like summer squash and greens. I'm actually growing something 12 months a year with garlic being planted in mid-October for May harvest. I have sometimes picked tomatoes and peppers on Thanksgiving, maybe two out of ten years. I like being outdoors and gardening is a good excercise for me. Do I save money? Probably some. Do I eat healthy, tasty, fresh organic produce most of the year? Yes, although some is canned or frozen when I harvest.
Great weathering on the ATSF boxcar.
Louis -
Willie, I am amazed at how much you are able to accomplish. Bathroom work is as hard as it gets when working in the house. Even properly cleaning the bathroom is challenging for me! Not to mention all the other work you do. you should be very proud of yourself.
It's all in the pacing. Interspersing easy stuff like laundry or washing dishes with more physically challenging stuff like cutting firewood works for me. I limit the harder stuff like chainsaw madness to 45 minute time increments to avoid fatigue. Bathroom remodel stops if I bend three nails or cut one board wrong; eliminates frustration. I take a break from mowing when the beer bottle is empty! Afternoons only!:cool: I have twelve boards left to apply to the bathroom walls, but they are all within 12" of the floor, so I have to basically lay down to properly see and install them. I'll get a few done and then stand and do spackling or sanding for a few minutes before bending/stooping and getting up and down again.
Amazon knows exactly where we are at all times.
Actually a good use of the "big brother" technology.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning .... Colder than normal here. 21 F now. High will be 39F.

Johnny ..... Continued prayers for Dena.

Sherrel ... Thanks for commenting on my SD24's photo. The Frisco diesel fuel tank car is very well weathered.

Toot ... Very bad news about the wildfires there. Keep us informed.

Louis ..... I really like the photo of the locomotive reflecting in the water on a winter day. ..... I, too, am thankful for my trains. I am certain they are good for sanity breaks when the trials and tribulations of life become overwhelming. If you wish to have a Lionel layout, I would encourage you to do that. I have seen some very impressive Lionel layouts including one here in town and many more in photos. My experience is I get more enjoyment from what I build than what I just own. .... Blessings to you.

WIllie .... My next appointment for dental work is just the cleaning. Hopefully, I will not need more major stuff then. I like your patio scene. Those people have a great view of a Santa Fe track.

Mike, Terry, and Karl ...... Good to see you here this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back