Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang!

Well the rain finally stopped (for now) but will be back Friday, Saturday and maybe even Sunday! It's like Seattle but on the right coast.
Puppy had to wear galoshes just to poop! :eek:

Dave, I never have heard that song before, got a laugh on how it ended!

Louis, I'll be in Bawlmer tomorrow. GM scheduled a training class for me down on Hammonds Ferry Road, about 1 mile from the Beltway tomorrow. Oh what joy, morning rush hour traffic! :rolleyes:o_O I'll be leaving God's country at o-dark thirty.

Mike, A foot of snow with 40 mph wind here, I'd be lucky to see a county plow for a few days! Brrrr, I'm getting a chill just thinking of it!

Later taters!

Louis -
Maybe that's why it's a five hour route.
Cool looking Pennsy engine. I know that you can't resist.
Willie, you hit the nail on the head. It's been hard enough to turn down work, but even harder to change the way I work. I'm working again today and I will try to better pace myself. If I get into an apartment complex or neighborhoods with houses close together I will move the van more often to reduce the amount of walking. Rather than to focus on being efficient with my time, I will try to be more efficient with my effort.

I resisted buying the Pennsy locomotive all day yesterday. This morning my wife saw the locomotive on the computer screen as I was drooling over it. (Freudian slip?) She said "buy it for Christmas" She is no help :)

Good morning. 14 degrees with an expected high in the upper 30's. Looks like we're not the only ones with some white stuff. The mid west sure got slammed.

Louis - Nice photo of Baltimore in 1849. Never saw a White Tower, but did have some White Castles in Florida. Took a sack of them to make a lunch, but they were good burgers.

Chet, your winter weather is why I don't complain, much about our milder winters. The natives who live in these harsh winter conditions are amazing. I saw on the evening news Chicago got hit by a winter storm that would have shut down Baltimore for days. They did not even get a day off of school!

I loved White Tower they were the same as White Castle. The coffee was good and I agree the burgers were good., anytime, day or night. "Buy them by the bag" When my friends and I went in to White Tower the grill would be full of those little burgers! The guy behind the counter in the white uniform knew he was going to busy when we came in, but we always left a very good tip.

Louis- Of course you need it, it's a Pennsy E44! Is that the CN Christmas train?

Curt,
my heart is telling me "I need it" :)
PRR #4465, preserved at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.
1543315064430.png

I don't think you will sympathize with me, but now I'm stuck trying to decide because I found this one at the same price!
1543315840694.png

I'm not sure what train that with Christmas lights was. It was a picture I found on Facebook and I can't find it again.

Wait til the temps drop and it snows pal!

We only had 2 rainouts for little league. Maybe my luck will carry over and we won't get too much snow. I'm not looking forward to shoveling a 75' driveway!

Louis, I'll be in Bawlmer tomorrow. GM scheduled a training class for me down on Hammonds Ferry Road, about 1 mile from the Beltway tomorrow. Oh what joy, morning rush hour traffic! :rolleyes:o_O I'll be leaving God's country at o-dark thirty.

Oh no, you are smart to leave early. The west side of 695 is not fun for evening rush hour either or 70 west! I hope they let you out early.

We're about 3-4 above zero this morning; but, it's supposed to be clear today. I need more snow to bank my house with. I live in an old house that was built sometime around 1900, it was remodeled in 1968 and when they put a basement under it, they poured a concrete foundation without insulation. So it gets cold downstairs where the layout is. Once I get a nice bank of snow around the house it warms the basement up another 10 degrees! Today I need to work here with the confuser learning how to use JMRI's Decoder Pro. It will be nice and toasty here!

Good morning Everybody,

My little man is off to school and soon I will be resting on the couch or in bed until it's time to get ready for work. I love work, 10+ years on the sidelines gave me a new appreciation for work. I always was happy to go to work, but now it's nearly an uncontrollable obsession!

My Tucker is still suffering through the mornings. This morning he is moving worse than I do on a bad day. I had to carry him down the steps to the family room. I wish I could take his pain for him, I gladly accept it. I hope this passes like it did with my other beagle Sophie. About 2 years ago she was bad off for about 10 days and has shown no further signs of back pain since.

I still haven't decided what to do about the E44s. To complicate matters I see this http://www.lionel.com/products/bethlehem-steel-legacytm-command-control-scale-crane-car-6-81884/ Trian World has it for $299 Lionel list is $499
1543323731204.png

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. 35° and clear in this part of the world. Looking forward to temperatures back in the 70's for the next week, although yesterday's 58° wasn't bad. Maybe rain on Friday, but the temperature will be 78°. Moving along with the bathroom remodel, removed the old toilet yesterday and rebuilt the floor that was under the old vanity. With the toilet gone, I can finish the wall behind it. Wife still hasn't picked out the new stuff yet, including the trim and baseboard, so I will be stalled until she does. She's too busy Christmas shopping for the grandkids. Today's outdoor activity includes some more time in the vegetable garden preparing for spring planting in about seven more weeks.
I posted yesterday regarding a new addition to the freight car roster, As I posted, it is sold as a "Ready to Run" model.
11-26-18 012.001.JPG

However, there are no grab irons installed.
11-26-18 013.001.JPG

Note the very shiny wheels as well.
I did get all of the holes drilled and the grabs installed, paint comes today.
Here's a picture of some of the details that I have been making for the layout.
11-26-18 014.JPG

That birdbath was made from a "push pin" that was cut up and slightly hollowed out with some kind of Dremel attachment.
11-26-18 015.001.JPG

Chet - That little switcher really looks odd pulling those "huge" cars. Even the caboose is larger than it. Not much ROW in yesterday's rail photo.
Curt - Prayers worked? You returned safely from the outlet mall!
Greg - Nice scenery.
Karl - County plow? What's that? Ain't no such thing around here, the county relies on local farmers to make ruts with their tractors. They did send their grader out one year (on Saturday no less) after several of their ambulances got stuck in a foot of snow. A county judge threatened them with severe fines for endangering public safety.
Louis - Walking probably isn't really bad for you, as long as you pace yourself. Going up steps two at a time probably doesn't help...don't say that you don't do that! Racing to get five hours done in two is a little extreme.
By the way, I forgot to mention yesterday, but an Amazon delivery lady found her way to our house Sunday afternoon. She was only slightly confused because there's no number on our house or property anywhere, but she nailed it correctly! Nobody in these parts has a posted number; that's why we live in the middle of nowhere to begin with.o_O

Let's all pray for Johnny and Dena today.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning All -- It's 39* going up to only 75* today.

Louis .. we could take a little of that water off you. You are getting our share!

David (Trussrod) called me yesterday - I was in the middle of something) told him I would call him back - totally forgot!

Foxie (the pup) gets her staples removed tomorrow -- YAY!

Dave (truckdad) I remember that song now that you broght it up!

YAY - Curt - You made it back alive!

MIKE - I remember the snows in SW Colorado - and digging my car out of the freshly plowed streets - all I could see was the radio antenna!
MARK - I also remember the snow piled up 3-4 feet deep provided insulation for the house - it really helped.

Gonna go pray fpr Johnny and Dena now - and be thankful that I don't have to shovel partly cloudy!

Greetings everyone from the hospital. They're still prepping my wife for this procedure. Her turn in the OR will probably be in an hour or so. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the prayers and well-wishes.

Greetings everyone from the hospital. They're still prepping my wife for this procedure. Her turn in the OR will probably be in an hour or so. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the prayers and well-wishes.
I hope everything turns out well.

Continued prayers for you both.

Howdy ....

I had another dental appointment this morning. Good news is I have completed this round of dental appointments. I wo t go back until March.

Johnny .... Continued prayers for Dena.

Terry .. Thanks for the link for the cell phone blocker. I suppose it will be cheaper to make people keep their phones in their cars when they visit.

Karl ... the photo of Amish Christmas reminds me of the picture I took inside Moffat Tunnel. LOL.

Good morning. 34 degrees with overcast skies. Should make it to the mid 40's.

Johnny - Prayers for Dena. Hoping everything comes out for the best.

Louis - Nice photos. Like that Pennsy unit. Winter doesn't close schools very often out here. If the buses can't run due to snow, the school is open and the parents get the kids to school. If the temps drop below minus 20, the buses won't run because they don't want the kids waiting for the bus in the cold. Again, the parents get the kids to school. I can remember taking my daughter to school on a snowmobile because the roads were drifted closed.

Willie - Those plastic couplers need to be replaced ob the BN car. Like the potted plants. Nice detail items. I will agree that the little switcher does look a bit goofy with the box cars. I was just giving the locomotives some break in time running around the layout. That's all the little guy can haul up the grades.

Sherrel - I'm sure that both you and Foxie will be happy to get the staples out.

Curt - Glad to see you survived the mall.

Mike - Sure is a pain in the a** when the snow plow block in your freshly cleared driveway.

I was rooting around in some boxes under the layout looking for something (forgot what I was looking for) and came across this Alco switcher. I totally forgot that I had it. Getting old is a pain.

20181126_154712.jpg

I believe that is is an old Life Like unit. I put it on the tracks and couldn't believe how well it ran. Crawled between ties at an amazingly slow speed. Should be an interesting project as I am not sure that all of the parts are with it. Have to put it on the procrastination list.

Here's my rail picture for today.

2019197f8f2a7e33b7fe65b9f32cef23.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Haven't done much today. Took Mom out to Bonefish for lunch and that's about all I have accomplished. Currently sitting drinking a cup of coffee.

Garry- I totally agree about the way people use their phones in social gatherings. I really think that the misuse of social media will cause the collapse of society.

Louis- It's your RR, which one do you like best?

Karl- That was a pretty good meme.

Willie- I really like the planters and the bird bath is ingenious.

Chet- Nice find and rail shot.

Johnny- Prayers for Dena.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back