Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome post there, Willie! Your attention to detail is right up there ... I like your creations - what are the flower pots made from?

I have to get the outdoor lights up today - failed at that yesterday (wife pissed me off and I quit) - and it was a great day to do it! Today only 66* for a high and rain is forecast later this afternoon and tonight. GLORIUS RAIN!! I better remember to place my "bucket rain gauge" out.

Terry - What make/model computer are you referring too?
Spousal Unit just bought a new ipad!

Louis -- Forgot to comment on the loco pic - That is a beautiful paint job; outstanding looking!

Good Morning everyone...sunny and cold here in Wisconsin. 11 degrees last night.

Off to a slow start this morning since I stayed up watching Chicago PD until 5:00 AM.

Everyone: Too bad I can't take credit for the Santa Fe box box...I'm not sure where I found it or who took the photo. However, I do have one that's close and maybe I had a moment of old age when I saw the photograph in my files.

Sherrel: That tank car is outstanding. Great weathering.

Terry: My wife had a Tablet and the replacement battery cost more than a new Tablet.

Finish here and down to the layout.

That's all for now.

Greg

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is everything throw away today. Remember when we rebuilt things?
Yes, my old one was updated several times by me ,but the new ones are effectively non-repairable.
And as I mentioned, if it suffers a failure, it is almost a certainty you will not get any of your data back. The way Apple has integrated their hard drives has ensured that. The last straw was when they removed a special port on the motherboard they could attach a device and retrieve your stuff.

Haven't been out to the TV yet to see any news, but there was a fire about 9, or 10 miles inland to the west yesterday, which they managed to contain with the aid of an air tanker and I see a report on the 'puter that the forecast for the Tasmanian high country early next week is for some heavy snowfall for 2 days. Summer season will be a couple of days old then o_O

Afternoon All,

Had some excitement last night. We received a phone call from NFCU questioning 2 attempted purchases at Walmart.com for $700 and then $400. Needles to say it wasn't us. MOH got a new check card today after cancelling the old one and we're not out anything. If the ###hole had waited until Friday the charges would of went through so we got lucky. It's good to be poor:D.

Garry- Nice layout shot.

Greg- Still a nice job on the box car by someone.

Sherrel- Nice looking tank car.

Toot- Sounds like what just happened in CA. Stay safe.

Terry- Just reinforces my intentions of never buying an Apple product.

Louis- MOH goes to the Dollar Tree all the time. Great photo.

Willie- Neat scene. I paint my wheels with the same latex paint I do my track rails funny enough called Rusty Rails. Jeffrey told me about it when I first decided to weather my rails.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yes, my old one was updated several times by me ,but the new ones are effectively non-repairable.
And as I mentioned, if it suffers a failure, it is almost a certainty you will not get any of your data back. The way Apple has integrated their hard drives has ensured that. The last straw was when they removed a special port on the motherboard they could attach a device and retrieve your stuff.
So... Apple is no longer being "User friendly"?

New Avatar picture recently found by my cousin in England. Me January 15, 1950 at Griffith Park in LA. I had been in the US 7 weeks having just emigrated from England after death of my mother. Long story. But the previous summer I had been treated by my father to a visit and ride on the miniature 15 inch gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway in England. It seems I have always had a thing for small trains. (Note, I avoid UK or British designation as I consider primarily a London Englishman in ancestry.)

So... Apple is no longer being "User friendly"?
That's my take on it, as well as many other, even more tech-savvy people than me.
I have kept Apple products ever since 2007, when Microsoft Vista was dumped upon us all. I have a lone Windows computer for the few things that I can't do with my Apple computer.
Word on the street is Microsoft is beginning to charge a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10. It has already begun with some Windows 10 Enterprise builds. I see a problem on the horizon, as I don't buy any more Apple computers, mine finally dies, and I refuse to pay Microsoft a monthly fee to use my own computer. I may pick up an old computer, and install Linux on it.

On to other badder things... My stepson was driving home from work last night when he got rear-ended by an illegal alien who was drunk, had no drivers license, insurance, or registration, who then tried to run over my stepson twice when my stepson tried calling the police. bystanders restrained the drunk alien until police arrived. After the dust settled, the drunk was hauled off to jail, facing a half-dozen felony charges, as well as his second DUI in less than a year, fleeing the scene, and attempting to flee the scene, as well as 2 counts of attempted murder.

Terry ! .... Wow! ... Scary time for your stepson ! ..... I'm glad the drunk illegal was arrested. ..... Regarding Apple, we have hd very good experiences with our I-Mac.. Technical support has been superior, too. ...

On to other badder things... My stepson was driving home from work last night when he got rear-ended by an illegal alien who was drunk, had no drivers license, insurance, or registration, who then tried to run over my stepson twice when my stepson tried calling the police. bystanders restrained the drunk alien until police arrived. After the dust settled, the drunk was hauled off to jail, facing a half-dozen felony charges, as well as his second DUI in less than a year, fleeing the scene, and attempting to flee the scene, as well as 2 counts of attempted murder.
If we only had a way to keep these people out...

Wow, except for Willie and I, this part of the Model Railroad Forum is dead, too! Maybe it's to early? At 4:00 AM Central time, I woke up and there was no falling back asleep, so here I am. WeatherUnderground show it being +24 degrees, my thermometer shows +20 degrees. Supposed to be Cloudy today; but, no precipitation is predicted for the next 10 days and if it's going to be this cold it would be nice to have enough snow to bank the house.

I've been fooling around with my Digitrax's PR 4 and Decoder Pro. Also downloaded Digitrax's SoundLoader software. At this point I might be staying with SoundLoader as I can't get Decoder Pro to work and the reality is SoundLoader does all I really need. What have you been doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Everyone. 42° and clear. Another very pleasant day in store for us here, low 70's for a high. Mundane day yesterday with the usual household chores, spackled nailheads and joints in the new bathroom wall, went for two walks since it was so nice, took along a plastic sack on one of them and picked up roadside litter and continued leaf removal in the yard. Treated ourselves to supper with another couple at our sorta local Italian restaurant, Pellegrino's again Sherrel.
Thanks for all of the comments regarding yesterday's pictures, Chet, Curt, Louis and anyone else that I may have missed.
Here's another one.View attachment 32174
Patio walls are DPM cornices, smoker/grill is bits of sprue, wire and scrap styrene with smoke made from stretched cotton. Looks like I need to file the bottom of one of the flower pots a bit. I have not yet completed the vegetation along the fence or tracks. This is a "test-fit" to see how I like it. I think that I also need to add a dog to this mini-scene. Eventually there will be six of these scenes in this area along the track.
Elsewhere in the train shed, at the workbench to be specific, I completed the drilling and added/painted the grab irons on that BN freight car. Coupler replacement and re-numbering comes next. The re-numbering might be a challenge since I have to remove numbers from between two horizontal lines. Add to that that the end numbers are black printed on the white excessive height warning band. I already have dry transfers for both.

Louis -

It's all in the pacing. Interspersing easy stuff like laundry or washing dishes with more physically challenging stuff like cutting firewood works for me. I limit the harder stuff like chainsaw madness to 45 minute time increments to avoid fatigue. Bathroom remodel stops if I bend three nails or cut one board wrong; eliminates frustration. I take a break from mowing when the beer bottle is empty! Afternoons only!:cool: I have twelve boards left to apply to the bathroom walls, but they are all within 12" of the floor, so I have to basically lay down to properly see and install them. I'll get a few done and then stand and do spackling or sanding for a few minutes before bending/stooping and getting up and down again.

Actually a good use of the "big brother" technology.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie,
I love the back yard scene. How did you make the smoke coming out of the grill?

Good on you for picking up the trash. I get so angry when I see people toss trash out of their cars. God gave us such a beautiful place to live, but some people have no respect for our world. No wonder Ivan IV Vasilyevich instituted the oprichnina. The world is being over run by low life scum bags.

I'm heading your advice and doing much better with my slower pace, but I can't match your productivity, well done!

I'm no longer trying to keep up with my former self. I just do my best each day. My goal is to not make myself sick again this Christmas. What gets done, gets done. I've always seen life as a competition, mostly competing with myself, but no more.

I turned down work for Amazon today. I'm not feeling up to it and it was scheduled to begin at 12:30. Amazon begins loading contractors at noon. It use to be 10am, than 11am. Their inexperienced people can't keep up with the work load. I saw on the evening news 51% of Christmas shoppers will do the majority of their shopping with Amazon.

I arrive early to be first in line. I can't do that with a 12:30 scheduled pick up. They have so many new people that don't understand "time is money" the line backs up around the building and spills into the street. I'm not interested in waiting over an hour to get my route. We don't get paid for waiting. If I were feeling good, I would and I have, but not today.

Many contractors complain about the GPS "spying" on them, not me. I welcome it and I am glad for it. It proves I'm doing my job and it helps me to do my job!

Speaking of GPS tracking. When I first moved back into the city some 15 years ago, our street, a side street never saw a snow plow. Then Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake put GPS tracking into the snow removal trucks. Amazingly our street was plowed every snow storm. We even had salt trucks prior to the storms. I don't know why some people won't work if nobody is watching, but many don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back