Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis ..... I really like the photo of the locomotive reflecting in the water on a winter day. ..... I, too, am thankful for my trains. I am certain they are good for sanity breaks when the trials and tribulations of life become overwhelming. If you wish to have a Lionel layout, I would encourage you to do that. I have seen some very impressive Lionel layouts including one here in town and many more in photos. My experience is I get more enjoyment from what I build than what I just own. .... Blessings to you.

Garry,
thanks for the blessing, you made me smile :) There is no better gift you can give someone.

I will have another Lionel layout. I won't build much other than the bench work and the wring, but I know I will have fun. Before I moved I had a good size layout and I loved watching my trains run. I even had a little HO layout. Once I get things settled in this house I will have another layout. My health has slowed my progress, but I'm getting a grip on that as well. I've been my own worst enemy, but now I have a pace I can maintain. I just have to watch myself, "I tend to burn the arrow out of line"

As for GPS tracking of a company vehicle, it will only take one time of somebody calling your boss to complain about how bad you're driving, trying to get you fired, and the tracker shows you're 20 miles away from where the caller claims you are, to make you a believer.

On to other badder things... My stepson was driving home from work last night when he got rear-ended by an illegal alien who was drunk, had no drivers license, insurance, or registration, who then tried to run over my stepson twice when my stepson tried calling the police. bystanders restrained the drunk alien until police arrived. After the dust settled, the drunk was hauled off to jail, facing a half-dozen felony charges, as well as his second DUI in less than a year, fleeing the scene, and attempting to flee the scene, as well as 2 counts of attempted murder.
Terry, was your step-son hurt? I hope not.

Illegal aliens that commit violent crimes or any felony have to be locked up awaiting trail, no bail! DUI is a violent crime in my book. Just being here illegally makes them criminals with no respect for our laws. No deportation, prison for felonies, deport the non-violent offenders, but we can't let these felons even have a chance to be repeat offenders. They will only sneak back in if we deport them. I know the facts are that illegals have the lowest crime rate, but we can't over look even a single crime.

No wall or any security will keep them all out. If you think I'm wrong check the price of heroin or cocain on the streets, it's cheaper than ever! As long as their is money to be made people find a way.

The errant SD40-2XR arrived this afternoon. Well enough packaged in a USPS shipping carton and that large interconnected plastic bubble packing they use. The item's box showed no sign of damage, nor did Athearn's plastic carrier. The shipping carton however looked like it had goal kicked every hundred yards of the journey and the model, while not damaged, had certainly had enough parts dislodged. Side handrails hanging off, but the worst was the Dynamic brake shroud and fans and 2 of the 3 radiator fans . The 2 Dynamic fans were out of the shroud and the shroud itself was popped out of the long hood. 1 rad fan was half out and the other was lifted. Everything is an easy fix, no parts actually broken. It sure had copped a beating. I'll give it a DC test tomorrow, just to make sure it runs OK. Have just ordered 4 Econami's from the shop Terry recommended, Mountain Subdivision Hobbies. Took the plunge. That'll give me enough to do this one and the other SD40-2XR in the new MRL logo and an SD45 (now what made me think I needed 4, must be something? Ah, that's right, there's an MTH DCC ready SD70ACe that needs one, and that decoder has the file for that on it too.

This is numbered 262 with the previous large Lion's head logo. I couldn't find any recent pics of it to find out if it had been repainted, so asked if it had on one of the MRL FB groups and they confirmed it was still in the old paint, so that's good.

Good Morning All. 51° and clear. Another beautiful day in store for us, mid-70's although there will be a moderate warm breeze from the south. Had company yesterday which put a damper on tasks around the place, oh well, I enjoyed the day off. Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, skipped last week so there will be quite a load this week. Plenty of veggies still in the freezer, and beer in the fridge, but the meat, condiment and wine supplies are rather low! Need to buy a new washing machine today; the old one cannot be repaired because no one has one of the parts needed. I spent over an hour looking on the internet Sunday and the repairman spent some time as well. I found one of the two, and the repairman installed it with the hope that the other old one might still work with it. Nope! It's a 22 year old LG washer that has served us very well since purchase in 1996. Repair guy confirmed that any new model that we purchase, regardless of brand, will not last that long. Bummer!

Thanks for the comments on the backyard patio scene, Garry, Sherrel, Curt, Louis and anyone else whom I may have missed. Regarding the questions; the flower pots are made from 3/16" Evergreen styrene tube and painted with some kind of Apple Barrel orange paint. I don't taper them because it's not really visible from normal viewing distance. The shrubs are pieces of Woodland Scenics foliage glued to the top. Louis asked about the smoke, it is just a bit of cotton trimmed from a Q-tip and then teased and stretched before gluing to the smoke stack.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I didn't feel like doing any scenery, or re-numbering that boxcar that I posted a few days ago. So I started assembly of a plastic gas station kit from City Classics. I have two potential locations for it, although I am leaning towards putting in a town that's almost complete; on the other side of the tracks and adjoining road from the backyards that I am currently working on.

Greg - You posed a question to Tony, however he doesn't visit the Coffee Shop. You might try sending a PM (now called a "conversation") to wombat457.
Curt - I was hoping to avoid having to paint the wheels themselves when I tried the "Blacken It". Back in the days, I painted many a plastic wheel when first starting out.
Ken Adams - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. That is a great avatar picture.
Louis - I also hate litterbugs. Other than empty beverage cans that I recycle, most of what I pick up are those damn plastic water bottles and Styrofoam cups. I think that many of the bottles and cups actually blow out of the back of pick up truck beds. Interesting thing about the aluminum beer cans is that they are almost always on the west side of the road. That happens to be on the drivers side of vehicles traveling home from work or play. Perhaps they don't want their wives/husbands knowing how many they really have on the way home.

Everybody have a great day and let's continue the prayers for Dena and Johnny

Good morning fellers! Whew I have some catching up to do! Time has just flown for me. I guess that comes with having new additions to the family. Work has been off the wall with the holidays. I'm working what I call a liquid schedule. I'll never know from one day to the next what shift I'll be working. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Nothing new in the train world. I'm debating on changing some stuff on my layout. However I have no idea when I'll get around to it. Weekends have been spent helping the misses with the kids. If not the kids then working on repairs for my truck as winter weather is everywhere right now. Snow this week and snow projected for next week as well. I just might need my four wheel drive. That's all I have for now. I do hope everyone is doing well. I didn't go through all the posts as I've been away from here for far too long.

Good morning. 29 degrees to start off the day with an expected high only in the mid 30's.

Greg - Nice looking box car. Send it over. icon_lol.gif

Garry - Sweet looking SD units. Always liked the paint scheme.

Sherrel - One nice looking tank car.

Ray
- Not very nice conditions down under. Rain or fire ??????

Mike - Are you dug out yet ?

Willie
- Nice photo on the deck. Kook comfortable. As far as appliances go, I was talking to a repair man when I was getting a part for out 25+ year old washing machine and he was saying that manufacturers pretty well know how many cycles any appliance will last. Our ald Kenmore waher and dryer are still working and hope they keep going.

Got a little work done on the Alco switcher.

20181129_063244.jpg
Got the lettering done on it. Some detail have been added and now comes the interesting part. A number of different hand rails were supplied, but they are extremely fragile. I have no instructions at all either. All made from the same plastic that the rest of the kit is made from so they will be extremely fragile. I replaced the ladder rungs on the nose and the side of the hood with metal ones I happened to have on hand but may go with the minimum I can get away with. There are also a number a small parts that I have no clue where they might go. Interesting.

Here's my rail picture for today.

Train-Track-Switch-1024x646.jpg

Later

Morning Spikers!
53* with a 58* high expected and very light mist/sprinkles currently - hardly enough to dampen the streets.
I sure hope that we get more than we have had so far?
40-50 miles Up North they are getting pretty heavy rain with tons of auto crashes and 18 wheelers which have decided to lay down xways on the freeways. (people here don't know how to drive in the rain) They still think they can go 80 miles an hour on a wet roadway!

Believe it! I got the lights up outside, plus the lighted Snowman put up, plus the tree up in the house (not lighted .. MOH work), plus puppy dog to the VET and the staples were removed! VET said she had make a rapid-great recovery - and she was very happy to get rid of the "cone of shame" -- I had given her breaks from it when I could keep an eye on her to prevent her from trying to lick the wound.

GREG - If you are watching ... Here is a past post from Tony about the decals:
"Try Matt at Circus Decals. He did my custom decals and did an excellent job, very quickly and reasonably priced as well."

I see that Murphy visited TERRY's stepson? Glad he was not hurt. DWI ?? It's a problem everywhere! If they just do themselves in - no problem, but usually they wreck others lives permanently. SAD!

Good Morning Everyone................snow last night and cloudy this morning.

Chet:
Great looking locomotive.

Sherrel:
Thanks for the decal tip.

Have to run to Walthers....catch up later! I have a huge list of items.

Greg

########################################

Good morning everyone. 42 and sunny.

Thanks to all for your prayers and well-wishes. Garry: thank you for your text. It's been a whirlwind since Tuesday. They got Dena into the OR later than scheduled. Went in at about 11:30 rather than 10 as originally planned. She came through the procedure fine, no complications. We thank the Lord for that. I took her home around 3 tuesday afternoon. She has not had any nausea from anesthesia, and has been pain-free despite not taking any pain meds, not even an aspirin. A couple of you have met us and you know Dena is a petite lady but she's very strong and has a high pain threshhold (she does dental fillings without any lidocaine). I became cook, maid, errand-runner, etc. once we got home, and I have been run ragged ever since. We are waiting for the pathology report on the lymph nodes. If that comes back negative, she's cancer-free. Radiation is still in the mix, although she may decline it. We should know pathology tomorrow morning, and we meet with her surgeon Monday for follow-up. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you again for all the prayers, thoughts, etc. You are really a "band of brothers" (well, maybe not THAT close) on this forum ;)

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone................snow last night and cloudy this morning.

Chet: Great looking locomotive.

Sherrel: Thanks for the decal tip.

Have to run to Walthers....catch up later! I have a huge list of items.

Greg

########################################

greg -- your welcome -- did you get my list of things to get at Walthers?

Chet- yep all is good. The problem I was having was it was the wet heavy kind, and the throat of the blower kept clogging. You definitely would not of wanted to shovel this stuff.

MIKE - When I left SW Colorado, I put a snow shovel on my shoulder and told people that I was gonna stop at the first place that someone asked me what it was!
Let me rephrase your statement: I do not want to shovel snow - never again!

Chet -- That is a pretty paint /decal job - and you didn't even know you had it?

greg -- your welcome -- did you get my list of things to get at Walthers?

MIKE - When I left SW Colorado, I put a snow shovel on my shoulder and told people that I was gonna stop at the first place that someone asked me what it was!
Let me rephrase your statement: I do not want to shovel snow - never again!

Chet -- That is a pretty paint /decal job - and you didn't even know you had it?

Sherrel that’s funny stuff! I’m with you on never shoveling again. That’s why I bought a snow blower.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning while MOH is volunteering at the school. The roofing came in that I was waiting on and I sprayed it (rattle can) and I'm letting it dry overnight.

Terry- Glad your stepson is OK.

Justin- Good to hear you and you're family are doing well.

Chet- Nice job on the shifter and a neat rail shot.

Sherrel- The idiots drive like that here in the rain, and we get a lot more rain here. Stupidity is species wide:confused:. Glad Foxie is better.

Johnny- Great news so far. We are a band of RR buddies:D.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Stepson has pretty bad whiplash and damage to one shoulder.

Terry. ... Has he been examined by a doctor ? If not, I suggest he do so.

Johnny ... Praying test results will be favorable . You are welcome regarding my text.

Louis... I recall the cars in the 1950’s as in your historic photos. ... I also remember my grandfather fussing because cars no longer had running boards.

I just ran the Lionel train around the Christmas tree a few times. The cats seem to like watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back