Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Toot - are there bears in Australia?

Only the Koala bears and they are not related to actual bears, even though they might look somewhat like them. They are herbivorous Marsupials, only eat the leaves of specific varieties of Australian Gum trees and carry their young in a pouch (like the Kangaroo) for 6 months after birth. Cuddly, but have very sharp claws. Don't be tempted to cuddle a grizzly either.

O's had a 1'42" rain delay, the winning streak has ended, 7-5 Detroit win, Tillman is the new Ubaldo, for sure. 5 earned runs, 2 unearned in less than 3 innings. :mad: Well, it was nice while the streak was going. Which brings up another point about how sports fans think. Most likely, the O's will not make the playoffs this year, however, that point is not certain. Some of the analytics oriented fans on the blog sites are angry that the O's didn't sell off players like Machado, and tank the rest of the season. Where is this logic coming from? My understanding was never quit, play hard and do your best. Play with heart. These fellows would rather give up and hope for a better draft pick. Some Devils Hockey fans are of the same mindset. They complain of the terrible defence, but are afraid that with the new offensive talent, the team will make a playoff run, and miss the draft lottery! WTF? :confused::confused::confused:

Boris you lived here, you know Baltimore sports fans first hand. I know you lived in Harford Co., but it's not much different. Baltimore fans think they are the best, most loyal and most informed fans in all of sports. HA! I don't think so! They love you, when you are winning.

I remember listening to the Colts pay the next to last game of the season in 1973. At home against the defending Super Bowl Champion Dolphins, the Dolphins would go on to repeat as Super Bowl Champions. Keep in mind the rivalry between those two teams was intense in those days. Hard feelings over the Shula leaving the Colts to coach the Dolphins regardless of the compensation the Colts received was still a sore subject. The Colts beat the Dolphins in the first AFC Championship game and the Dolphins returned the favor in the second AFC Championship game.

When the two teams meet in Baltimore they had almost exact opposite records. The Colts were 2-10 and the Dolphins were 11-1. The game was not televised because the "great" Baltimore Fans did not sell out Memorial Stadium. I listened to the game on the radio. The Colts played a brilliant game, they dominated the Dolphins. Griese did not play, but they still had Earl Morrall who was a first team All-Pro in 72 and started most of the games in the Dolphins 1972 undefeated season.

If you remember the Dolphins were heavily dependent on their running game and it was maybe the best ever! The Colts shut down the Dolphins 3-headed running attack Larry Csonka, Jim Kick and Mercury Morris holding them to less than 100 yards rushing combined. It was the only game the Dolphins did not break the 100 yard rushing mark. Even John Madden's Raiders, the only other team to beat the Dolphins in 1973 could not hold the Dolphins below 100 yards. Several teams could not keep the Dolphins below 200 yards rushing. If I remember right the Dolphins rushed for a total of 300 yards twice that year!

The Colts beat the Dolphins at their own game. The Colts ran the ball more than 50 times if I remember correctly. Lydell Mitchel ran for over 100 yards himself! By controlling the ball and the clock the colts kept the ball away from the Dolphins and their high power offense. Unitas was gone, Marty Domres started. I don't think he threw 10 passes all day.

When the Dolphins did have the ball, the Colts played bend but don't break defense. The Dolphins did not score except for a 4th quarter field goal.

The Colts won 16-3, I will never forget it! All my friends had turned their back on the Colts. Dolphins fans were everywhere, like damn Steelers fans today. The city was full of turncoats, but I was so very proud of my Colts! We may have finished near the bottom. but we beat one of the all-time great teams!

You would think the city would have been over joyed, but no! Many fans were pissed because the Colts would not get the number one pick! When we beat the Patriots in the last game the anger got even worse!

Well Curt, I do have the bridge someone sent that I already built.
But I don't squat about building valleys and such.
I wouldn't know where to begin without some serious coaching.
Right now my table is already built. I think it would take some serious [re]construction here and there to build something to accomodate a bridge.
It would be cool however.
E.

E.
You know, if your railroad was lower than sea or river level, the water would be held back or contained by dykes, and you'd have to build a bridge over it. Wouldn't require any digging for the riverbed, either.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Good morning, everybody ! .... I'll have coffee and a donut please. ...

Well Curt, I do have the bridge someone sent that I already built.
But I don't squat about building valleys and such.
I wouldn't know where to begin without some serious coaching.
Right now my table is already built. I think it would take some serious [re]construction here and there to build something to accomodate a bridge.
It would be cool however.
E.

E.

Eric .... If you were going to have a valley, you should have built a section of the layout lower than the rest of the layout to accommodate it. It looks like you do not have room for that with this layout. So, you may wish to do that in the future if you move to a place with more room for a layout. ... Keep up the good work with this layout for now.

Louis and Joe ... You said Detroit won. If I still lived in Michigan, I would like that. I might even razz you a bit. But, I don't live there anymore. I hope your team does well so I can watch you cheering. I grew up near Chicago, and still favor both the Cubs and the White Sox, but I spend little time paying attention to professional sports and the overpaid athletes.

Model Railroading ... I'm cleaning up the train room. Making scenery is always messy, and it is time to tidy up. We have company coming in less than two weeks, and I will suspend layout construction and scenery projects.

Solar eclipse. ... We will have a very full house from about August 16 through August 21. The timing is so family from out of town will be here when the solar eclipse happens. .... It is amazing to me astronomers can predict years in advance the solar eclipse, and they know exactly where it will be taking place as well as the duration. .. Anyhow, western Kentucky is prepared for it, and expects about 500,000 visitors for it. ..... In this region, the eclipse will be approximately over Interstate 24 between Paducah and Nashville. I hope it does not cause any accidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning: It's 65 with overcast at 300 feet this morning - that will change to clear in a couple more hours.
Today is forecast to be MUCH COOLER than yesterday.
Today
High 86 | Low 64 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 94.8 | Low 68.1 °F
Precip. 0 in

Spent the day yesterday visiting a friend up the road in Corona while getting the headliner replaced in my truck. While there we went to his friend's home on 6 acres who has several Yoouge metal buildings full of 50's autos - some 30's and 40's too - and every tool, gas pumps, and all sorts of just about everything dealing with those era's.
I would love to post a few photos, but am stuck from doing so - still cannot get photos from my phone to computer for some reason.

Next on the agenda is to get the truck repainted (then I will think that I have a "new" truck) .. it does not have a square foot, all added together, where the clear coat remains .. and the paint is all dull and faded. Really looks terrible.
Later, guys.

Good morning y'all. 68 and cloudy. 1.05" of rain overnight. Did not even know it was supposed to rain. :confused:.

I give up. Gausman pitches a brilliant 7 inning three hitter, then Givens comes in to pitch the 8th, gives up two two strike infield hits, a walk and a home run. O's lose 5-2.
Bottom line, the team is bad, the owner is too cheap to field a winning team, and ...frustration grows.

Good Morning All. 76° and clear. So much for the ten day forecast that predicted temperatures no higher than 90° until the 10th. Now Weather Bureau is saying upper 90's today and tomorrow before a high of 83° on Monday. Actually good since the pool temperature was as low as 83° Thursday.
Speaking of the pool. My neighbor's wife, a forty something year old nurse, accidentally saw me getting into the pool yesterday (not the first time) on her way home from work, so she pulled into the driveway and got out and headed for the pool. She asked if she could join me and before I could answer, she was removing her "scrubs" and got in. So I have an etiquette question. I only had two beers in the cooler on the deck, one of which I had already opened. Question: should I offer her the other one, or make her get out and retrieve her own from the train shed? Well being the gentleman that I am, I did offer it to her, but held it over my head so she had to reach. Next an ethical question. She had been to a bar with her co-workers after work and was a bit "lit-up" when she stopped to begin with. Was I wrong in offering it to her to when she still had 350 yards left to drive home on a private gravel road?
Out in the train shed, I only did a little bit more scenery, just some more ground cover. Did some more maintenance on freight cars that were on the RIP track and got it cleared off. Thought some more about a town layout but didn't come to any final decision.

Johnny - Know that you won't see this until Monday, but the benchwork is looking really good. The top of the benchwork is also beginning to resemble a "real" model rr with the tools and stuff!:rolleyes:
Chet - Thanks for the comment on the building. I also prefer styrene for it's ease in working, but I have all kinds of structures on the layout. A few Hydrocal from Downtown Deco, lots of laser-cut wood, I've shown some of the cardstock, a few resin, and hundreds of styrene. Really have been appreciating all of the rail photos that you have been posting lately. Unfortunately I don't have the time to look for them myself and look forward to the ones that you have been posting.
Eric - Slowly but surely you're getting it all together. Glad to hear that you finally got the operating system (DCC) that you are most comfortable with. Sorry to read about the recent health setback. What about building an overpass over a highway? Or even just a slightly raised section over a painted-on creek?
Beady - Wouldn't fit on my layout and I don't do passenger.
Curt - Thanks for the comment regarding the building. Good luck at the LHS.

Everybody have a great weekend.

Willie

Good morning. Time for a cup and a sweet roll. Starting off the day at 53 degrees with an expected high in the upper 70's. The cooler temps will make working on the back deck a little more comfortable. Today we will be building a new set of steps to sit on the concrete pad we poured last weekend.

Louis - You sure brought back some memories of the Dolphins. We were season ticket holders and were there for the perfect season. We even went to the Super Bowl that year. The season tickets we had were on the 45 yard line under cover. They cost $164 a year. Don't know if that would be enough for a single game today.

Sherrel - What I have been doing to get photos from my phone to the computer is to just email the photo to myself, download it and do a copy/paste to one of the photo albums on the computer. Talking about painting your truck, one project I will have to try to get out of the way before summers end is to get some painting done on my wifes car. The clear coat is peeling off of the hood, front bumper and the rear left quarter panel. I can do it myself in my shop, but it would leave her without her car for a couple of weeks as this would have to be done in my spare time of which there's not a lot of. Guess she could drive my pickup. All of the prep work takes so much longer than actually applying the new paint and clear coat. Looking at around $1,500 to have a shop do it.

Joe -
Too bad you couldn't get Scotty to beam up some of that rain here. Still a lot of smoke from all of the wild fires up here.

Willie - Keep posting photos of your buildings. It is amazing how many new kits are available today compared to when I started building my layout. I had thought about possible replacing some of the older structures with new ones, but with the scenery almost complete, and trying to find something that would fit exactly into the available space, I guess I'll just live with what I have.

May go down to the train room for a while and figure out what to bring to the club tonight if I have any energy left after the construction project today.

Here's my rail photo for the day.

Road-wallpaper-10769933.jpg

Later

The upside to my test on Monday, is there is a HomeDepot just a couple miles down the highway from the cancer center where I'll get my scan.
Then I can grab a sheet of lexan to build a control panel. I'll make a list of stuff for HomeDepot and the WalMart right next door.
How convenient!
E.

Good morning.

Louis - You sure brought back some memories of the Dolphins. We were season ticket holders and were there for the perfect season. We even went to the Super Bowl that year. The season tickets we had were on the 45 yard line under cover. They cost $164 a year. Don't know if that would be enough for a single game today.

Sherrel - What I have been doing to get photos from my phone to the computer is to just email the photo to myself, download it and do a copy/paste to one of the photo albums on the computer. Talking about painting your truck, one project I will have to try to get out of the way before summers end is to get some painting done on my wifes car. The clear coat is peeling off of the hood, front bumper and the rear left quarter panel. I can do it myself in my shop, but it would leave her without her car for a couple of weeks as this would have to be done in my spare time of which there's not a lot of. Guess she could drive my pickup. All of the prep work takes so much longer than actually applying the new paint and clear coat. Looking at around $1,500 to have a shop do it.
Later

Chet.. That $145 just might get you one ticket in the nose-bleed section in the end zone. Sinful!

Your method on the photos is exactly what I have been doing for years - except I would "open" the email photo/ right click on the photo and a dialog box would open where I told the file folder that I wanted to put the photo in. Now I cannot get anything when I "right click". Nothing at all shows - on two different computers. Some-ting is afoul!

Stopped at Macco? a couple years ago - They were going to fix some dents, sand the rust spots, prime, paint, and clear coat fpr $900.
I didn't do it then because wasn't sure if I was going to make it and two, Might need the $ for medical bills. I'll ask them again the price next day or so, but I know it will be more now. That was their cheapest job - my mechanic said it would last 3-5 years and to get a 6+ year job would cost twice as much. Truck has never been garaged even though we have 3 car garage. People in CA use their garages for everything except auto parking.

BUT, Thank you for the info?

Willie - Some guys just seem to have all the luck!

I certainly hope that you invited her back? Having someone to share your fun is always nice!

Oh, Yeah ... Medical Bill came in for my second round of surgery! The bill, less my copay of $1,040, was $171,892.30 bringing the total for the two procedures a little more than $312,000. I really didn't think I was worth that much? I had to pay that $1040 twice for $260.00 x 8 day hospital stays.

I'm going to add -- "The 300,000 dollar Man" to my signature!

Before medicaid kicked in for me the last full amount bill was for somewhere around 1.2 million.
Reconstruction surgery is expected to last about 8 hours so I wonder how much that will be for.
E

Willie - Some guys just seem to have all the luck!

I certainly hope that you invited her back? Having someone to share your fun is always nice!

Oh, Yeah ... Medical Bill came in for my second round of surgery! The bill, less my copay of $1,040, was $171,892.30 bringing the total for the two procedures a little more than $312,000. I really didn't think I was worth that much? I had to pay that $1040 twice for $260.00 x 8 day hospital stays.

I'm going to add -- "The 300,000 dollar Man" to my signature!
All the crabbing about insurance, one of the slogans I live by, "Insurance is only expensive until you need it."

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Hiya gang!

Flo, something tall, cold and icy, and I don't mean my ex-wife!:rolleyes:

Bloodwork done at 8 a.m., breakfast at Bob Evans, flowers picked up at HD. Trees trimmed, flowers planted, limbs collected and mulched, lawn cut, and driveway blown off. come in , open up my email and there is an invoice from fleaBay. It seems they want 19.2% of my take now (12 was bad enough) . All my remaining auction have now been closed. My post on the "Forum members eBay items" page reads as follows:
It was a good run while it lasted, but I am no longer selling on ebay. After ascending to the position of an ebay "power seller" with a feedback score of 600 with a 100% feedback rating, ebay slapped me with a 19.2 % "final value fee" on my sales. I try to price stuff so that it will move, so my profit margin is slim, especially after boxes, peanuts and bubble wrap. Then they want 19.2 % ???
There are other places I can peddle my wares. Kiss my ass eBay.

Eric & Sherrel We have the technology, we can rebuild him. (you)
images

Time for a few little brown bottles, I earned them today!

KARL -- Damn It!! I had some stuff I wanted to list, but dammed if I will give them that much. They started downhill with me several years ago when they wanted PayPal, then having to use their shipping calculator, then the "value fee". Too BAD, It was really a good deal for a while!

OK, GUYS ... figured it out with the help of Spousal Unit's second cousin (who is my "go too" guy for help when Terry is not in his office?) He thinks - not sure yet - that google made some changes in their e-mail? Anyway, he was going to do the exact same as I have always done- then when it would not wrk - he said WTF!
OK - now I just right click on the small preview without opening the email and click on the line that says, "save link as .."

When you need fuel .. just drive the truck up to the loco!
This is from Santa Fe Springs area ... Looks to me, as many locos as they service that BNSF should have a fueling track in the refinery there?
fueling101.jpg

Back