Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric - I would go with 3 1/8" spacing on curves, NMRA recommendation is 2 31/32" but I like to be sure. See this for reference:https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/.../pdf/rp-7.2_curved_track_centers_draft_02.pdf
I like plywood for benchwork surfaces, I do use luan for peninsula backdrops. Around here at least, luan is only available as thick as 1/4" which I consider too thin for my benchwork. I don't know what might be available in your area. With lots of bracing it may work. I also do not have humidity to deal with like some, so my plywood doesn't warp. I don't use MDF for many reasons, especially since I use track nails which are almost impossible to nail into MDF board. Folks who use caulk don't have that problem. MDF seems to be cheaper; I cannot comment on luan since they don't offer 1/2".

I assume your spacing is centerline to centerline - yes?

82° and humid. The hyped thunderstorms never materialized. Gonna be hot tomorrow, Mid 90s for sure.

I'll cast my vote with everyone else for the Erector Sets and the Tinker Toys, had hours of fun with those! There was also something - can't remember the product name - that had plastic snap-together girders and thin window/wall panels that you could press-on, and build your own skyscraper! Does any of you know what I'm talking about?

Sherrell - hope the neck pain is fading away!

Joe - your post from last Friday led me to order this from trainworld.com:

Athearn_BnO_MOW_Truck.jpg

I never even dreamed anything like this was currently available, figured I better hurry and grab one while TW still had 'em! It's gonna be parked right beside my Brook Park depot when I get that scene reassembled.

Speaking of scenery...I haven't made much progress on that in recent days. I'm just learning how to work with Scenic Express "Super Trees", and kept having to run out on errands to buy more auxiliary material (clothespins & clothesline, large recloseable rubbermaid bowls, matte medium) before I could even start. Tonight I did my first 20 trees, soaking each one in a 1:5 matte medium/water solution for ~5 minutes and hanging them to dry. Somehow I don't think they'll straighten out like Joe Fugate claims they will; I'll find out tomorrow. Failing that, I may end up having to boil them to get them soft enough to straighten out!:eek:

CSX,

I watched a YouTube video just last night showing how to straighten super trees with a short touch of a soldering iron on the backside of the bend and it straightened right out. Can't seem to find the video again, but it is out there.

Here it is. Tree straightening starts at about 5:30. Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/iM9o_QiNkuI

Thanks for sharing that FZ, I've seen that video - it's one of a half-dozen I watched on Super Trees. My main fear of using the soldering iron is charring up the the smaller foliage, that's why I wanted to try the method Joe Fugate used in his video. Guess I'll have to try the burn method after all...

BTW Welcome to the Diner!

Morning all you rail fans!
Already been up for 2 hours this morning. Have suceeded in turning upside down my days and nights. I fell asleep around 7:15 pm and did not move until 1:15 this morning; it is going to require some work to get back on track.
Yesterday was a typical screwed up day. Three things were on tap and, of course, all three happened at the same time.
1. A visit from the Home Health Nurse.
2. SIL and daughter showed up at the door to use the RV for an extended? period?
3. zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Good morning everyone. 73 with 96% humidity, heading for 94 today. Chance of rain tonight and tomorrow, emphasis on "chance." If we don't get some rain soon the ground's gonna start crackin'.

Lincoln Logs, Erector sets, and Lafayette radio kits were my boyhood hobbies, along with an American Flyer set that my dad let me keep set up in the basement most of the year. Also set up my own mini science laboratory down there. Great fun, lots of creative room, developed fine motor skills - today kids get their fine motor skills texting and playing video games (which I can't stand).

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 76° and clear here. Spent part of the day yesterday gathering up grass clippings, four yards worth in 1/3 acre! Lots of rain and warm temperatures make the Bermuda grass grow wildly. Eventually all of those clippings will become tomatoes next year after composting. This is Thursday, the weekly grocery/beer trip day at the local Kroger 25 miles away. Wife is traveling along today so we will stop at the wine store and possibly other places, so it will be a three plus hour trip.
I had Lincoln Logs and an Erector set that both got commandeered by Dad for the Lionel layout. Not all of his scenery elements were necessarily in scale with the trains. My real favorite was American Bricks though.
Out in the train shed, I just did some general straightening up and continued with the structure lighting buss. I have run it 32' with five terminals to feed from. Lots more to do on this level before I move to the lower level.

Johnny - Dry transfers...I like to use them. They really look great on brick walls, the "painted on" effect.
Beady - Great cartoon. I like your sense of humor.
Eric - That is correct, centerline to centerline.
Ken in Md - "Girder and Panel" set, and the accompanying "Bridge and Turnpike" set, made by Kenner. I had them both and liked them, but they weren't too durable. Wish that I still had them as I think that they were 1/87 scale and might have had some parts that I could use today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girder_and_Panel_building_sets

A special anniversary today for me. Two years ago today, was my last day of work. Retirement began on July 13, 2015. Never looked back. Never miss it. I do miss some of the folks that I worked with, although there are two that I still see from time to time. Hey! One lives only 13 miles away, that's like next door! I was actually supposed to work until the 15th, but they told me to "get out of here". OK though, as I was paid until the 31st anyway.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Sherrel,
Are you going to be up for a visit in the afternoon of 3 August? I plan to be traveling from AZ to my nieces house in Vista and can stop by for a quick hello.

Willie,
I'm getting better at the dry transfer decals. This passenger station kit had so many tiny signs that I couldn't get to come out right, but I got the bigger ones okay.

I'll cast my vote with everyone else for the Erector Sets and the Tinker Toys, had hours of fun with those! There was also something - can't remember the product name - that had plastic snap-together girders and thin window/wall panels that you could press-on, and build your own skyscraper! Does any of you know what I'm talking about?

Sherrell - hope the neck pain is fading away!

Joe - your post from last Friday led me to order this from trainworld.com:

Athearn_BnO_MOW_Truck.jpg

I never even dreamed anything like this was currently available, figured I better hurry and grab one while TW still had 'em! It's gonna be parked right beside my Brook Park depot when I get that scene reassembled.

Speaking of scenery...I haven't made much progress on that in recent days. I'm just learning how to work with Scenic Express "Super Trees", and kept having to run out on errands to buy more auxiliary material (clothespins & clothesline, large recloseable rubbermaid bowls, matte medium) before I could even start. Tonight I did my first 20 trees, soaking each one in a 1:5 matte medium/water solution for ~5 minutes and hanging them to dry. Somehow I don't think they'll straighten out like Joe Fugate claims they will; I'll find out tomorrow. Failing that, I may end up having to boil them to get them soft enough to straighten out!:eek:

Ken: Athearn really makes some great looking trucks. The Ford Fire Trucks, for instance. The boom trucks were customized, some came with crew cabs, others as per the model. usually used by the local section gang. Now, My mission is to find a suitable "Welder's truck, and Hi-rail trucks including a "Three way dump truck". Fot the Mechanical Dept, I need to find or build a block truck.

Ken in Md - "Girder and Panel" set, and the accompanying "Bridge and Turnpike" set, made by Kenner. I had them both and liked them, but they weren't too durable. Wish that I still had them as I think that they were 1/87 scale and might have had some parts that I could use today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girder_and_Panel_building_sets ...

Ah yes, Kenner , that's the one - thanks Willie for filling in the blank! My first set was in 1964 when I ordered it from the the back of a Cheerios box with three box tops. I still remember my excitement when the package arrived in the mail a few weeks later.

Joe - do you have a link to a proto-photo of that "3-way dump truck" you want to get? I don't believe I've ever seen one of those...

Sherrel,
Are you going to be up for a visit in the afternoon of 3 August? I plan to be traveling from AZ to my nieces house in Vista and can stop by for a quick hello.

Nothing short of a swift kick to the journal boxes will hinder me!
We must talk, or communicate somewhere along, that I may be sure and have your favorite "afternoon tea" available.

Good morning. Finally got into the office. Ran some errands in town before stopping by. Started off at 56 degrees, but will be up in the 90's like a lot of you, but thankfully, with low humidity.

Sherrel - Good to see you up and about, even though it seems that you are on a different schedule now. Sure hope you and Ken can get together.

I have also seen a few videos on super trees like Ken. Dave, LASM made one and his trees came out looking really fine. Haven't tries them yet as I still have some sage brush on hand for trees.

Willie - Happy Anniversary. My wife is after me to retire. Tried it a couple of times but got bored. Started new car restoration projects and spent money on them. Maybe it will be different the next time. Reliable Carriers (the orange semi posted a while back) stopped by yesterday and picked up 7 cars that were sold. All sorts of room in the shop now.
Sounds like you could feed an army with your garden. At time I will admit that I miss our garden, but with out very short growing season, the kind of veggies we can plant is limited and it does take quite a bit of work.

Johnny - Glad that you are finally getting a handle on the decals and dry transfers. Just takes a little time. The freight cars behind the Northern Pacific switcher all started out as black, undecorated Athearn blue box kits and were done with dry transfers. Have quite a few of them. Wanted to have something different than what was available at the time. These are over 30 years old.

IMAG0998.jpg Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Ken in MD - Really like that truck. Wouldn't mind having one, but it is too modern for my time period.

Later

Hello everybody ..

Chet .... Great photo with scrap yard !

Joe and Ken (MD) .... I like the boom trucks in your photos. I agree about Athearn truck models. I have the Mack cement truck and a Ford tractor.. Also, I have the Checker cab (not a truck of course).

Willie .. Glad to hear you celebrating your retirement anniversary. I don't think retirement is boring at all. There are so many things to do.

Regarding memories of childhood toys ...... In addition to Lincoln Logs, I had erector sets and a chemistry set. My trains were Marx at first, and next I had Lionel. ... Instead of those toys, today's kids have Legos, and I think that is good for them as long as their parents keep them away from too much TV and computer games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back