Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

It was not like anybody was gonna cry but when I knew I was not going to be on here for a few days I gave a heads up cause in the off chance anybody gave a damn I did not want them thinkin I was dead on the floor. WHERE'S TONY??? Hope he's ok.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 35 degrees here in North Central Texas this morning. Going up into the mid-60's today and then four days of mid-70's before returning to the 50's on Tuesday. I'll be outdoors most of the time with visits to the train shed before sunrise and after I get tired of working outside, around "beer-thirty".
Louis - Good to hear from you again, we were wondering where you were. Interesting pictures from 2003, I had not seen them before.
Curt - I hear you when it comes to testing new track out. I had a situation recently where I had to move my ground throws to the diverging side of two adjacent turnouts because the pilots of my SD40-2's were hitting the adjacent one and derailing when coming off the diverging route. Can't have that on a Santa Fe RR since they owned 187 SD40-2's, and I have 12 of them.
Chet - Nose-bleed inducing trestle for sure!!!
Sherrel - While it was probably usually the lowest man who got to ride and pull the uncoupler, I did once watch them flip a coin to see who did that job. Also the switchman always stepped back about 25' after moving the turnout. Took no chances. Love that picture.
Garry - Nice RI picture.
new guy - Yeah! I've been asking about Tony for over a week.

OK, Everybody let's wake up and have a great day.

Willie

coffee_pot.jpg

Guess I better get the coffee going this morning. Starting the day off at a toasty 31 degrees with partly cloudy skies.

Here's a photo of a beautiful locomotive. Sure like the lines of this one. One classy locomotive.
attachment.php

Gotta love steam. Think the engineer wants the guys loading mail to step things up a bit.

Louis - Glad to see you in here again. Hopefully you have all of your snow removal done. Thought about you when I saw watching the news over the weekend. Having the right equipment does amke a big difference.

Curt - Looking good. You gain a little more space by using a three way turnout. I put one in my last yard just because I had one available and it took too long for me to get anything ordered on line and shipped. It ended up working fantastic and I think I gained at least three car spaces in the yard and things also flowed extremely well. Like the improvements you're making. Another great photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 20°, and Sunny at the Jersey Shore.

Busy day, as MIL is moving from the Rehabilitation & Nursing care to Assisted Living. She has made a remarkable recovery, and as long as she understands she will never be pain free, she will do alright.

Walthers has released a new marketing video, concerning the complete Capitol Limited.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/videos
Looks like the last two cars will be here within the next week or so...

Curt:
I think the three way switch is the perfect answer for your lead. The fit and alignment appear to be just right.

Chet: Nice CNW steamer photo, and welcome to the ARF. Just watch your grammar and punctuation :rolleyes:.

Louis: Good to see your post. That was some snow storm, eh?

Garry: Is that RI photo the "Golden State"?

NG and Willie: Come to think of it, I haven't seen him post anywhere of late.

See ya!

It's early, my fingers aren't awake yet. 57.giflaugh.gif Love the Capitol Limited. Glad that common sense kicked in or I would have tried to get one. It is interesting that they have a deluxe edition that includes figures. Very tempting. That is one of my favorite passenger trains.

Good morning ....

Joe ... I'm not certain, but I believe the RI train is the Golden State Limited.

CHet .... I like the C&NW Hudson ....

Here's a C&NW train.

CNW400Chi_zps1c5ed4d9.jpg

That thing is awesome! Keeping at least one line WIDE 24"+ is a must! I will not be able to resist more 'yooge' Steam being added to the mix when the opportunity arises. I only have one right now that just refuses anything under 24" but this will change. It may be as simple as making the bar that draws the tender behind the loco swing because right now it pushes the tender right off the rails when going into anything under 24".

Good Morning It is 10 degrees under a bright sunny sky here in the Middletown Valley

Louis - Yep we survived another blizzard. For all the complaints about not getting streets plowed quickly enough the power companies get a shout out for the general lack of power outages. I haven't been to the B&O museum in a long time I need to get down there when the weather is better.

Curt - I wasn't criticizing the tanks. Very few would be interested enough to be able to complain. Just keep the train moving so they can't notice the details :) Seriously if you want to get more accurate loads feel free to give me a shout. Shermans are good but if you are interested in accuracy there were many different versions and where and when you are modelling would affect what version you would want. Over the years I have seen lots of pictures of Shermans (and other tanks) as rail loads. I can put feelers out to Sherman geeks (yes there are whole groups interested in just the Sherman) and get some pictures if you want. There are some other common types of tanks you could use depending on era and region.

Garry - Like the CNW photo. I used to ride it a lot years ago, back in the 60's, when I was attending A, B and C schools at Great Lakes, ILL. Used to take the train out of Waukegan, IL to Chicago Union Station and then the South Shore to visit relatives (and girl friends) in northern Indiana. I had a car when I was stationed up there, but it was a lot easier to take the train than to play in Chicago traffic and it was an excuse to ride the train.

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone has a good one. Haven't done anything on the layout here I'll be finishing up the ballasting here in the next few days as I get the time. I need to finish my grade crossings as well and get my roads laid out.

Justin

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone has a good one. Haven't done anything on the layout here I'll be finishing up the ballasting here in the next few days as I get the time. I need to finish my grade crossings as well and get my roads laid out.

Justin

I need to see how you do a crossing. I haven't done one in decades (since I was a teen). Maybe 40 years ago.
E

Brrr outside.
Just got back from the grocery store. WeatherChannel said it was 39 but it seemed like a mighty cold 39 to me.
I'll make that big batch spaghetti today by golly!
E

Well crap!! My kitchen sink faucet completely failed. At least it shut off instead opening the gates when I wasn't here.
Landlord is bringing over a new fixture which I'll install. So much for another day off.
I hate plumbing work!!!
Put me back in the sheet-rock mud any time.
E.

Good morning ....

Joe ... I'm not certain, but I believe the RI train is the Golden State Limited.

CHet .... I like the C&NW Hudson ....

Here's a C&NW train.

CNW400Chi_zps1c5ed4d9.jpg

Garry: Not for Nothing, but the CNW is a perfect pike sized train.

I don't know, Eric. You have listed a tough pair there as being low on my totem pole. Only thing that might give the "mud" the edge is: It's getting harder and harder for me to get up and down and try and crawl under the sink, laying on my back, poking myself in the eye, and scraping my knuckles.
I believe I place the plumbing on the bottom.

Well crap!! My kitchen sink faucet completely failed. At least it shut off instead opening the gates when I wasn't here.
Landlord is bringing over a new fixture which I'll install. So much for another day off.
I hate plumbing work!!!
Put me back in the sheet-rock mud any time.
E.

Plumbing really isn't very hard. Just remember that water usually runs down hill. laugh.gif

I had plenty of practice last summer. New counter tops in the kitchen with a new faucet. Install a new dish washer and fridge with water and ice. Then after gutting and rebuilding two bathrooms, installing all of the fixtures, drainage plumbing also, and a Jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom, a kitchen sink faucet should take no more than about 20 minutes max, including the use of some colorful words.

How the hell to get these old nylon nuts off the old faucet is still a mystery.
I think Mr. Dremel with a cutting wheel is in order. I've done this several times and they always SUCK!!!
I'd rather sweat pipes or glue PVC before dealing with this crap.

Channel lock pliers usually work.

Nope. That didn't work. But Mr. Dremmel with the cutting wheel took them right off !!!!
Think I'll go get me a little bottle before installing the new unit. I sure need a break.
E.

Well... got it done... almost.
The water line hookups won't work on this new unit so the landlord will bring me flex-lines this evening.
THEN it will be done with.

E.

Back