Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

Afternoon All,

Had a nice lunch with Mom and Dad and since Son was off work he came too. After getting home I mounted the 2 ground throws for the 3 way switch. I got some small detail parts in the mail so I painted them. I also went through my 2 or 3 places that I keep odds and ends. I found several things I plan on using as detail parts in the yard. I figure it will save me about $15 dollars.

Louis- Good to see you back here. Please be careful on the roof.

Willie- It's just frustrating at times spinning your wheels and not accomplishing anything but wasting time.

Chet- Beautiful looking loco. I think there was one RR that used that design and called it the crusader? I may be wrong about that.

WJLI26- I'm glad your MIL seems to be doing well.

Bsmart- No issues. I only said the M18 because that looked the closest to me. Thank you for your offer. I made a note for when I am ready to work that project.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric - Murphy's Law. I can't think of how many times I thought I had just what I needed for a plumbing project and had to make a 30 mile round trip to the hardware store.

I am still trying to figure what railroad these locomotives are from. Some really heavy haulers.

attachment.php

Have a good evening.

Chet ... The double header is impressive. I bet the ground was shaking.

Below is the Broadway Limited backing into Chicago Union Station. When I was was in 5th Grade, I rode on this train with my family on a trip to Philadelphia.

PRRBLChi_zpsc558763a.jpg

Eric - Murphy's Law. I can't think of how many times I thought I had just what I needed for a plumbing project and had to make a 30 mile round trip to the hardware store.

I am still trying to figure what railroad these locomotives are from. Some really heavy haulers.

attachment.php

Have a good evening.

Ill take a shot and say: Denver and Salt Lake, Rio Grande, or Union Pacific.

Well crap!! My kitchen sink faucet completely failed. At least it shut off instead opening the gates when I wasn't here.
Landlord is bringing over a new fixture which I'll install. So much for another day off.
I hate plumbing work!!!
Put me back in the sheet-rock mud any time.
E.

LOL! I got pretty good at Delta kits when doing apartment maintenance at M.S.U. them kids was HECK on the 'quipment'!

Easy peasy, I'd take plumbing any time! I believe you are familiar with my attitude towards mudding drywall!

(Troop movements, "nukular" codes, even "kevins frequency"! I'll tell ya any dang thing ya wanna know but NO DRYWALL MUD!!!)

NOTE FROM KEEPER: "new guy" was last seen running screaming into the night, something about "drywall mud". Personnel have been dispatched for retrieval. When it is safe to remove the restraints "new guy" will be allowed to return.

Thank You for your cooperation.

Good evening all
Been crazy busy this week, finally get a chance to kinda relaxtonight, as I begin my 55th trip around the sun. Hopefully the rest of the snow will melt off this weekend (Supposed to be almost 50 on Sunday) That way I can get some more trains done, and I can get some work done on #4's car.

Chet, the number boards say ATS&F to me, or SP.....the tenders say SP. so I'm gonna say SP!

attachment.php

Cya gang

Happy birthday, Karl! I thought Southern Pacific for the same reasons. One question though. Does the X9033 designate the train or something else? I just noticed that the loco number is not the same as that on the board and it looks like the second loco has X9093 also. Have I finally noticed something I should've noticed years ago?

I'll plump for UP. Have seen the X in number boards on other UP locos. Has to be a train number 'cause the lead loco's is 3606

IIRC, X____ on SP was the train number, note: both locos in the consist do bear the same X9033 on the numberboards.

Also, thanks Bob!;)

UP 3605 is one of a group of 15 UP 2-8-8-0 locomotives . See the number on the plate in center of smoke box cover, or look at number next to headlight.

i assume 9033 is the second engine of the double header. That is a 4-12-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can NOT make this stuff up.
This afternoon while I was coming into the kitchen I hear that big nasty scraping noise outside.
A dude layed his motorcycle down right in front of my house.
I just happened to be in the kitchen and peeked through the blinds and saw the dude splayed out on the pavement.
I threw on a jacket and bolted out. He was trying to peel his helmet of.
Kids were just then coming up the street after school and all gathered around us. I'm trying to help the guy and yelling to anyone to call 911. F...g idiots!!
I got him back to his wits and out of the street. EMS and police finally showed up and by then he was pretty much ok.
He's got some good road rash going on now. I invited him to come have a beer and a shot (or several) which he was happy to receive. We'd already picked up the bike and put it in my driveway.

Golly mercy, I'm about freaked out.
That's ok. Freak out now afterwards is ok. Keep your s...t together during a crisis situation is what I got trained up on.

Here is the real fun... I brought him in the house to have a beer and calm down. Turns out he's a former Marine with 2 deployments who doesn't know how to "decompress". I took him upstairs to the train room. He about s..t his drillies.
He asked where I bought that mountain.
I drove the trains around a little and blew the horns and turned on all the lights. He was blown away.

Now I need to decompress.
He'll be ok in a few days (maybe a week).
Chet can maybe relate and/or has been through this while on highway patrol.
it sure caught me off guard seeing him layed in the street right in front my house.

Yet another chapter in "Big E's Great Adventures".
E

Good evening,
Hi Flo and Francine, things are looking good at Jeffreys' Dinner! Coffee and an Apple fritter.

Per Wunderground Weather:
Mostly Cloudy
46.8 °F
Feels Like 47 °F
N
Wind from ESE

Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.25 in
Visibility 4.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Windchill 47 °F
Dew Point 44 °F
Humidity 91%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.

= = =

I did a bit more work on the layout last night rather late. I finished adding a filler in a 90* area on the upper level over the area below where the track ducks under it self. This gives the area West of the Ridge Crest Engine facility a bit more expansion and smoother edge contour. I also cut a odd shaped filler to fit in another area to the right of the track as it begins to level out entering Ridge Crest on the east side as level area of the engine yard area and the grade climbing up by it left a void as it started reaching the Elevated Switchman's Shanty at the entrance to area.

= = =

Say David/ LASM: Sorry if I missed your reply to my reply from an earlier post.

Say Chet:
View attachment 55529

Here's a photo of a beautiful locomotive. Sure like the lines of this one. One classy locomotive.
attachment.php

Gotta love steam. Think the engineer wants the guys loading mail to step things up a bit.

Curt - Looking good. You gain a little more space by using a three way turnout. I put one in my last yard just because I had one available and it took too long for me to get anything ordered on line and shipped. It ended up working fantastic and I think I gained at least three car spaces in the yard and things also flowed extremely well. Like the improvements you're making. Another great photo.

That is a nice looking Loco alright.

Your chuckle for this morning!

Honest honey, I just stopped off for a beer after work and, and you ain't gonna believe this.

View attachment 55523

Garry , Nice shot of the RI passenger.

DAVID in CA , Are you building those turnouts in place? Seems as if you are having a lot of trouble in that spot?

Say Sherrel: No, I'm building the turnouts on a template board with the PC tie strips tacked in place with glue stick on their bottom side which is then stuck to the packaging tape I have covering the printed template I glued to a piece of plywood.

Afternoon All,

Well, another day and another change to the yard project...sigh. Last night I tried running my BF16 A/A consist. The units have a drawbar, diaphrams and are hard wired together with a speaker in each unit. Bottom line was I could either change the track or never bring the units through the yard. After some thinking (my weak spot LOL) I remembered the 3 way switch that did not work out for the coal mine. After installing that, the track geometries actually are eased. Friday I will test Locos. Probably no layout work tomorrow since I am taking my parents out to lunch.

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion for my tower. I'm going to put it by the coal mine. There is less room in the yard now. I am thinking of putting a yard office and watch box in the yard instead.

Bob- "Tanks" for the information (sorry I could not resist). Based on your info I guess a future project will be to get different tanks. I would really like to get Shermans.

David- It is the Walthers version of a PRR tower.

Chet- Great pics. That trestle sure looks flimsy. I noticed there is a sign at the bottom that I can't read even when I make the picture larger, and there is another set of tracks by the sign. If you don't mind, what forum did you join? I recently joined the Scale Railfanning group.

Garry- Nice photo. We don't see anything Rock Island in here very often.

20160127_123809_zpscq0kwt8m.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: Thanks

Good Morning All. 40 degrees and clear here this morning. Yesterday's high was 66 with no wind and bright sunny skies. I worked on my tan all day outside. Tee shirt weather for the next 4 more days, with highs in the mid to upper 70's. We'll come close to breaking the record high for this time of year. Average high is 54 degrees. I'll take it. I didn't get to the train shed until after 5:00 pm so not much got done modeling-wise.

Eric - Is there anything beer can't do? Kudos to you for taking action. So did you ever get the plumbing fixed? For me plumbing is easy, it's accessing the plumbing that's difficult, crawling under the sink, crawling under the house etc. Tearing into walls in the wrong place is always fun!
Chet -
Just remember that water usually runs down hill.
"Water" is not the word plumbers around here use. Thanks also for all of the pictures. I'm not old enough to remember seeing any steam, but my dad always told me I saw some NYC steamers in the early 50's in upstate NY.

Well yesterday I was in a lazy mode early and cruised the Internet prior to sunrise instead of visiting the train shed, I am not doing that today, so off I go now.

Willie

Good morning. Happy Friday! 24° and clear, forecast = going to 40° with snow showers? :confused:

Where did the month of January go?

I can NOT make this stuff up.
This afternoon while I was coming into the kitchen I hear that big nasty scraping noise outside.
A dude layed his motorcycle down right in front of my house.
I just happened to be in the kitchen and peeked through the blinds and saw the dude splayed out on the pavement.
I threw on a jacket and bolted out. He was trying to peel his helmet of.
Kids were just then coming up the street after school and all gathered around us. I'm trying to help the guy and yelling to anyone to call 911. F...g idiots!!
I got him back to his wits and out of the street. EMS and police finally showed up and by then he was pretty much ok.
He's got some good road rash going on now. I invited him to come have a beer and a shot (or several) which he was happy to receive. We'd already picked up the bike and put it in my driveway.

Golly mercy, I'm about freaked out.
That's ok. Freak out now afterwards is ok. Keep your s...t together during a crisis situation is what I got trained up on.

Here is the real fun... I brought him in the house to have a beer and calm down. Turns out he's a former Marine with 2 deployments who doesn't know how to "decompress". I took him upstairs to the train room. He about s..t his drillies.
He asked where I bought that mountain.
I drove the trains around a little and blew the horns and turned on all the lights. He was blown away.

Now I need to decompress.
He'll be ok in a few days (maybe a week).
Chet can maybe relate and/or has been through this while on highway patrol.
it sure caught me off guard seeing him layed in the street right in front my house.

Yet another chapter in "Big E's Great Adventures".
E

Most awesome! Spread the MRR joy to a new convert and a VET to boot! Excellent! Get him to start a layout and hang with us, I believe all returning vets should be encouraged to get into MRR! The European way of 'rehabilitating' soldiers is a little more advanced than ours, I guess they have had a little more time to work on the problem, The way they encourage art as therapy is an excellent idea, many of you have mentioned Bill Ross the painter(happy little trees), I remember Bill Alexander, the elderly German gentleman who did the awesome paintings on PBS, he got into painting after being wounded on the Eastern front! He was GREAT!
bill-alexanders-quotes-8.jpg"You load up ze brrrush wit de Prussian Blue and den just FIRE it IN dere!" LOL!

He is missed!

Good morning to all. Starting the day off at 36 degrees with overcast skies. Cooler temps are forcast to the weekend with periods of snow. Probably won't be around much this weekend. City bowling tournament had me bowling both on Saturday and Sunday. My right arm might end up a bit longet than the left by Monday.

Garry - Thanks for solving the mystery of the photo from yesterday. AT first I was thinking of the Southern Pacific at first glance because they did have quite a few Vanderbilt tenders, but with the "X" on the number board I started leaning to the UP. Couldn't check out the calender because my wife brought it over to my daughter house. The youngest grandson is a train nut and has been wanting that calender ever since he first saw it. Loves the photos.

Here's a photo that we won't have to have a guessing game to figure this one out.

attachment.php

Good Morning, 14 and cloudy. Had some wierd rainbow in the western sky this morning, usually the frost rainbows are in the east in the morning. Anyway, it was there and we both saw it so go figure!

Headed for 30 and light snow.

Back