Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new place. Mind the fresh paint, and don't track mud onto the clean floors.

It's clear and 18.

coffee_pot.jpg

Well, I'm not used to you all changing Coffee Shops and I already posted at the old one. What's the criteria? Last two months it was the 6th, month before it was the 10th.
Willie

Well, I'm not used to you all changing Coffee Shops and I already posted at the old one. What's the criteria? Last two months it was the 6th, month before it was the 10th.
Willie

Took me by surprise too, the change comes at 100 pages. We are rough on equipment so we need a new place often!

The change is at roughly 1000 posts. More than that, and the pages don't display correctly on some equipment.

Puzzling and figuring is not going to continue, Woodland Scenic riser kits to the rescue! Grabastically spastic is not what I want. If I tried shims and wooden bridges it would have looked like butt, I don't have the skill for that yet. Those risers will save me from serious embarrassment! Waiting a couple more weeks will also allow me to complete the rest of the plan, I must wait for 'Birthday money' the first week of Feb before I can order them.

Good morning gang!
10 degrees on the back deck when I left for work, ,, brrrrr! Winter is finally here for the next 2 days.
Extra coffee today.

Good Morning. It is a frigid 9 degrees here in the Middletown Valley. Glad I don't have to roll out the door first thing in the morning any more.

Good morning all. Not a bad start for the morning. For the last week we have been right around zero give or take a degree or two but it's a toasty 26 degrees at 0500.

The comments about ebay and goods coming from China were interesting. I try to avoid buying goods from China, but in a lot of cases there is not much of a choice. I see that others have also had quick delivery also. It is interesting that I can get a package in less than 10 days and it took over two weeks for Eric to receive the rock molds I sent him. Postage keeps going up and service is questionable.

Here's my picture for the day. Vincent supply is a major retailer in this town. They have a hardware store, lumber yard and here is the farm supply part of the business which is also the local John Deere dealer. Generates a lot of business for the railroad. A lot of switching goes on in this part of the layout.

attachment.php

Good morning. 10° and clear. What a contrast compared to a couple of weeks ago.

Chet: Nice photo. The scene looks like Builder's General Supply, a real place in Little Silver.

It's amazing how inconsistent the postal service is. 2 Day priority from Baltimore or Brooklyn takes anywhere from 24 hours to seven days depending on the whim of the PO. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone. I made an attempt at detailing one of my locos last night with some disastrous results. Oh well practice makes perfect and well I need practice.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Chet, I like that lumber rack that's behind the JD panel truck. If I recall you also said you hand cut all those little pieces as well.
I should start thinking of a little town for my layout. When CJ and William were here I mentioned about doing something more.
Almost in unison they both said "build a town".
That kind of puts me in a quandary. I like the modern diesels and won't change that. But, I like the 50-60 style structures like Chet's lumber yard/hardware store and the older style general stores. I'm sure not going to put in any WalMart, HD, Lowes or any other big-box type store.
I'm thinking of a tiny little burg not even big enough to support a local Dairy Queen.
This is where I need an artistic director or at a minimum and "idea man".
I'm open for suggestions!
E.

Good morning everyone. I made an attempt at detailing one of my locos last night with some disastrous results. Oh well practice makes perfect and well I need practice.

Oh no! What kind of detailing? Hardware, paint or weathering?
Hope it's not something you can't undo.
E.

Oh no! What kind of detailing? Hardware, paint or weathering?
Hope it's not something you can't undo.
E.
I had attempted to removed the nose light on one of my Athearn uboats last night. That went off really well as I was able to file it down. The paint doesn't match at all. Looks like I found a dark blue marker to fill in the filed areas.
e85acb3deacf70e1954dc7241dbb3482.jpg

Eric, if you look at real railroads, businesses usually were built up around the railroad when they came through towns and you'll usually find older buildings in these areas unless that have been raised for more modern structures. It wouldn't be uncommon to find older brick structures even today. So far as an old general store goes, that's a different story.

Take a grocery store like Ed's Market here.

attachment.php

In the 50's this would be a fairly common size building for such a business, but today, with all of the various new products available to consumers, a store like this wouldn't work. It would be lucky to just hold breakfast cereals today. Back in the 50's there were very few frozen foods available, no frozen pizza, no microwave dinners and so on. People for the most part cooked from scratch and a grocery store didn't have to be even a fraction of the size of todays supermarkets.

22° here. Brrr....
Wonder if we're working today or not.
E.

22 in Georgia and 20 in Northern Minnesota? That is what our thermometer reads and we are heading for 29. Really a mild winter for us, easy on the heating bill.

By the way, Good Morning.

22 in Georgia and 20 in Northern Minnesota? That is what our thermometer reads and we are heading for 29. Really a mild winter for us, easy on the heating bill.

By the way, Good Morning.

Yeah Dave. Talking to Dad in central IL last week it was warmer there than here.
Take about an hour's drive north from here into the N. GA mountains around Blue Ridge where we go camping and it was probably well into the teens. Especially down in that holler where we always go.
They are still saying we're in for a hellish winter here. Really cold with plenty of snow and ice.
I don't know. We'll see.
E

Looking good guys! I put the Shark on the program track and ran thru the set the address hoops and it responded ok, put it on the track and away it went no problem! Got excited and took the 'high road' at step '110' and took a 3 1/2 inch dive off the curve onto the table! (crappy track work!) No damage and it still runs fine, don't know what the deal was when it would not respond. Glad no surgery was needed!

Yeah Dave. Talking to Dad in central IL last week it was warmer there than here.
Take about an hour's drive north from here into the N. GA mountains around Blue Ridge where we go camping and it was probably well into the teens. Especially down in that holler where we always go.
They are still saying we're in for a hellish winter here. Really cold with plenty of snow and ice.
I don't know. We'll see.
E

They are pulling your leg, EL-NINO has brung another 'weird winter'! It has been OVERLY dry up around here and no where near the consistent COLD we usually get. I'll take it.

Back