Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LIX

WOW! Y'all heard of corndogs you'll love what I found at the store the other day in the frozen food section when I was enjoying some good old fashioned "girl watching." Sausage wrapped in pancake on a stick! Will wonders never cease! I hope they are available in your area! They're pretty darned good! One of those things you see and think "ain't that brilliant and about darned time somebody ELSE thought of that and took the next step by going ahead and making it real!"

Good afternoon gentlemen....

My latest addition to my Milwaukee Road collection....hopefully, it won't be too long before it arrives!
A CM&StP Railway lantern....I think it fits into (if I remember correctly) the period between 1913-1928.

IMG_20160125_085113.jpg

Eric - Is there anything beer can't do? Kudos to you for taking action. So did you ever get the plumbing fixed? For me plumbing is easy, it's accessing the plumbing that's difficult, crawling under the sink, crawling under the house etc. Tearing into walls in the wrong place is always fun!

Yep, I sure did. And there wasn't too much cussin etiher. :eek:

Oh....I'm also waiting on Milwaukee Road Transfer Caboose #01775 from Fox Valley Models, Walther's set of bay window cabooses 992218 and 992221...plus two Atlas undecorated C425's!
Just need to find that set with rib sided cabooses now! lol

I hope that all are doing well!

Most awesome! Spread the MRR joy to a new convert and a VET to boot! Excellent! Get him to start a layout and hang with us, I believe all returning vets should be encouraged to get into MRR! The European way of 'rehabilitating' soldiers is a little more advanced than ours, I guess they have had a little more time to work on the problem, The way they encourage art as therapy is an excellent idea, many of you have mentioned Bill Ross the painter(happy little trees), I remember Bill Alexander, the elderly German gentleman who did the awesome paintings on PBS, he got into painting after being wounded on the Eastern front! He was GREAT!
View attachment 55544"You load up ze brrrush wit de Prussian Blue and den just FIRE it IN dere!" LOL!

He is missed!

I remember a feller on PBS who did paintings like that on air. He was a white guy with a big poofy afro and spoke like he was loaded on Quaaludes. He died several years ago if I'm not mistaken.

As for my new Marine friend, I have no doubt he'll be healing up for a few days. He lives at the end of the street so I'll be seeing him around. He said he'd been seeing me around walking to the store or just hanging out and stuff. He couldn't stop talking about the trains. He'd never seen anything like that he said. I went to run them and some how I sent one through the crossover and about had a head on!!! He had asked what the control panel was for and I showed him how the turnout throws worked. That's probably what I did and one of them got stuck.
If he wants to get into trains I'll be happy to assist. He's taking college classes now and is considering going back in the Corps after he gets his degree. His wife is also former Marine and they met in boot camp. They have a 4 yo daughter. They've only lived here in "the hood" for a few months.

Now that I've some time to decompress and reflect on the whole ordeal, I'm becoming seriously angry and somewhat bitter about how everyone else acted. I just don't understand people. I just happened to be in the kitchen and heard the bike scraping down the road and knew something didn't sound right. I peeped out the window and there he and the bike right in front of my house. Without a thought I immediately ran out. A couple of people were kind of milling around but doing nothing. He was not moving very fast and was taking his helmet off. In just a few minutes there was probably 20 or so people around all with their cell phones out. No one called 911 until I raised hell about it and dismayed that they had to be told to call. Un-FREAKIN-believable!!! What a bunch gut-less idiots. Hope they don't need my help any time soon. Perhaps I'll go get a cell phone just so I can stand over them while they are bleeding all over the street.

Maybe it's a matter of crisis that makes people do nothing. I don't understand it really. It just seems natural to me to jump into action without concern for myself. I had this guy's blood all over me and it never bothered me for a bit. When EMS showed up they asked if I was ok not knowing who was really the injured party.

Now that I think about it some, when I came in to get some towels the bike was still running and no one thought to turn it off. Perhaps they didn't know how.
It was leaking out break fluid, anti-freeze and gas since it was laying on its side. I got him somewhat bandaged up and his senses were coming around and he thought to ask if the bike was still running. I had already taken care of that and he thanked me for that and coming to his aid.
By the time EMS and police showed I already had him up and about and the bike out of the street. I did advise him to stay put in the street in case he might have had a neck or back injury. He was pretty tore up but it dam sure could have been much much worse had this been in summer time with him in shorts and t-shirt. Instead it tore up his shoes, jeans, leather jacket and put a big scrape on his helmet. He was more madder about tearing up his clothes and scraping the helmet than he was worried about bleeding all over the both of us.
I invited him in for a beer and a shot to cool off and calm down. I think he more enjoyed meeting someone in the neighborhood and a vet and someone to talk to more than anything. When he said he'd been seeing me around and saw my mannerism about "keeping watch", "I figured you must be a vet and spec ops or some sort the way you carry yourself". That's when we opened up to each other. He had said about him and his wife don't have any friends around and I said "well, you do now but that was one helluva way to introduce yourself!". We had a laugh about that.
He asked what I did for a living and I told him about helping Larry remodel his house but other than that I was just a hermit with the 2 cats. He wondered about me being a hermit/introvert with no TV and how I could handle that.
And that's when I took him upstairs to the train room and really blew his mind.
IF he's really into it, I'll buy him a starter set. Something under $200 probably like most of us started with as kids. At least I did.
It would cut into my plans money-wise but I don't mind. Actually, I'd rather tutor him through college if he needs it (which I offered) than distract him with a new hobby.

I know that was all super-long winded and I appreciate you all's ears to bend.
Guess I'll go out and see what sort of scars were left on the pavement.
Eric.

Think I'll go re-park my trains after having that near head on yesterday evening. Should be an interesting test for my cross-over since I'll have to back one up with a string a cars. Hopefully it goes well. The engine is one I got from Terry and the cars on this string are the ones William (L&NCastle) sent me.
E.

Wow! That was painless and flawless!!
I never touched the trains (engines or cars) at all. Just the control panel and the controller.
Guess the train Gods are liking me today or I got my "train mojo" workin. :cool:
Maybe I should have got another lottery ticket this morning.
E.

Afternoon All,

Looks like we will be moving soon. Started out testing track today. I am impressed how smooth locos run through that complicated switch. I did still have an issue with the BF16 A/A derailing. After scratching my head and saying a few bad words I realized that one of the diaphragms had popped out and was dragging and causing a truck to lift off the track. Once I fixed that it went through all three ways smooth as silk. After lunch I weathered the track and put down ballast but did not glue it down. I plan on gluing it tomorrow.

Garry- I always love a Pennsy picture.

Karl- Happy belated birthday.

Toot- There is no way I would walk on those pipes, in fact I would not walk on that path. That is crazy.

Milw113- That is a very nice lantern. I would like to get a PRR one, but I am leery about getting one since I know nothing about them so it would be easy to get a fake.

BigE- Good on you for helping your neighbor. I have found that most people act like sheep.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt - Moving?? Bummer for the layout if you're headed to a new house, but maybe more room in another abode.

Got to go get some medicine for the dog and then take off for Friday night bowling league. Here's my parting photo. The best I can do without doing a search, I am guessing that this may be a New York Central train by looking at the multiple main line tracks and the headlight.

attachment.php

Have a good evening all.

Off to bowling and BEER.

Good going, helping out a Brother in need and don't mind the paralyzed civilians too much, no training. I've seen it before when an OLD lady straight up passed out COLD at the bus stop just as I was riding by on my bike!(HOT August day!) Classic back of the head bounce on the concrete! 5 people just STOOD there while some guy LEAPT off a bike (me) and went into "combat lifesaver" mode asking her if she was ok and telling her not to move. A policeman was coming out of the mall right there and called for an ambulance but I was the only one to think to give her my jacket to put under her head and stand so as to block the blazing sun that was hammering down into her poor face till the ambulance came! SOME people!

Wow! That was painless and flawless!!
I never touched the trains (engines or cars) at all. Just the control panel and the controller.
Guess the train Gods are liking me today or I got my "train mojo" workin. :cool:
Maybe I should have got another lottery ticket this morning.
E.

BigE More than the train Gods were working in your neighborhood. No matter what caused the bike accident someone caused that bike to stop in your font yard. No matter how bad the accident was it may have been better than where he was heading without having figured a good way to decompress.

That is what I was after when I saw the pancake sausage cousin and snapped em up! Way good!

Enough Already .. I'm off to IHOP for an order of Pigs in blankets with a couple sunny side eggs on top.

Spousal Unit is back in N. CAR. with daughter and two very sick grandsons. Daughter came down sick this afternoon.

What else would a brother do? Are people so lack of empathy and stuff that they don't understand what to do when a "man is down". Are they afraid to "get involved"? To me it's just as natural as breathing. You just do it without a thought. It was only until later when we were inside having a beer when he said he was a Marine and had figured me to be some sort of intense military. Of course we had to pick on each other after that.
He had a back pack on but left it outside and something came up about conceal & carry or just packing. He was packing but said he didn't know how I'd take that. Really? Sitting right next to me is an H&K USP .40 cal in plain view and nevermind all the pics I have all over the walls. I assured him firearms are more than welcome here.
I'll go check on him in a couple days. He's only about 300 yards away at the end of our street.
E

Enough Already .. I'm off to IHOP for an order of Pigs in blankets with a couple sunny side eggs on top.

Spousal Unit is back in N. CAR. with daughter and two very sick grandsons. Daughter came down sick this afternoon.

Oh freaking yumm!!! Pigs in a blanket I haven't had in eons! Wrap a slice of cheese with them and I'm happy.
I'd just be happy to have someone else cook (or buy) me supper once in a while.

Happy IHOP'ing Capt. Weems!
E

Back