Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVII

Thanks! Nice try, but still too much $$ AND they are sold out! LOL!

My LHS has these for 7.95 a pack of 12 (That's 2 bucks cheaper!)

$_1.JPG

Tell em Karl sent ya!

The Moose Caboose

When changing the wheels, what if any type of lubrication element or compound should I use and how and where exactly should said lube be applied? Graphite powder? Graphite stick? High grade nose oil? What is a 'best' solution from the experience out there?

NG, stick with a dry lube, graphite, molybdenum or teflon based. Oil based lubes tend to collect dust over time, which converts to drag. Dry lubes wont.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Moose Caboose is only 12-15 minutes from my house, or 8 minutes from work. MTS is an hour away. With a truck that gets 16 mpg, its cheaper for me to pay more. :rolleyes::confused::cool:

Besides, I like to support my local dealer (Wow, I sounds like a junkie!) :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Moose Caboose,

2 years ago I made this G scale caboose for the owner. I had a young lady hand deliver it to the owner in a sealed package just before Christmas. The "mystery gift" went on display in the shop, and everyone (including myself) were queried often as to who built it, where did it come from?? Finally last Christmas I fessed up to building it. I had so much fun that year, dodging questions and watching others get questioned, it was well worth the effort! So I guess this makes me a good natured deviant? ;)
IMG_2225.jpg

Thanks to all that liked my BL2 pic. Those locos are so ugly, they're cute! Thank goodness the WM only had 2 of em!

Wow. Guess I haven't paid much attention to the weather the last couple of days after all that rain a couple nights ago.
Down to freezing tonight with widespread frost.
No big deal really [to me anyhow]. It IS December after all and the start of winter is less than 3 weeks away.

Seems my "feral cat taming project" needs a "mission accomplished" banner strapped across it.
He just started spending the night inside not more than 2 weeks ago.
Now he's figured out the "dookie box" which I was hoping he'd just go outside for that.
Now he doesn't want to go outside at all anymore and making himself at home all over the downstairs.
NG said once a month or so ago that I'd make him into a "lap cat" in short order.
I don't know about that but I would put money that he's sleeping upstairs in my room (if not on the bed) by Christmas.

Tomorrow it will be exactly 1 year since I got "that big box of old train stuff". I made myself an aggressive goal to have an operational layout going by Christmas day. I missed it by a single day. Golly mercy have I come a long way since then. Good thing I hadn't forgotten all my old MRR skills. I post about that now because I'm likely to forget tomorrow.

Yep,, see there. I just re-booted and forgot I was writing this. Thank goodness for some built-in recovery on this forum software.
E

The cat likes you cause you don't try to make him what he's not, you just take him how he is.

My carpenter bro has suggested a synthetic lube used on electrical connection cables that is available at motorcycle shops. Anybody know about that stuff, I was thinking synthetic might be a way to go to avoid the oil/dust issue.

Went with E's link and got 100 coming. It has motivated me to finalize the design for my car holder and actually contemplate building it.

NG, stick with a dry lube, graphite, molybdenum or teflon based. Oil based lubes tend to collect dust over time, which converts to drag. Dry lubes wont.

I've heard to not use oils because over time it will get down on rails - just like in real life. And that makes sense.
I use a spot (about half the size of a pin head) of Lebelle's #106 white grease. I think it's a Teflon base but don't know without looking.
Same grease I use inside my engines on the gears. Same stuff I used back in my old days when I was rebuilding engines all the time.
In the last year of being back in the craft/hobby I've messed with 2 engines at level - just to quiet them down. A little #106 on the gears did the trick. The engines I got from Terry have never been in need of quieting. Them jokers are stealthy quiet. Even the cats don't hear them.
E.

Went with E's link and got 100 coming. It has motivated me to finalize the design for my car holder and actually contemplate building it.

Happy to help. Might want to get 2 batches. I imagine you got ton-load more cars than I have. I got the bulk pack and quickly used them up. Since then, I've ordered a dozen or 2 at a time but could have easily have put away another bulk pack. I just didn't have the money at the time.
Remember a dozen wheelsets only takes care of 3 cars. I had about 30 and some were junk. But as we've seen I've been able to save the junkers with full truck replacements. That's a different animal.

For your car holder/cradle, why not just get the Bowset car/engine cradle? I think I paid like $12 for mine and it came within a few days. I didn't realize how bad I could have used one of those until I got one.

NG: if you haven't dealt with them folks at MBK before, you will like them. If you are stuck on not knowing for sure what to get, call them. I'll bet I've talked to everyone of them fellers by now. But if you make an order then load it up. It will save you on shipping. They are a little IMHO. These days I find myself lots of little stuff. Some place have minimum shipping costs. Got to watch out for that.
They need a little help on their website search capabilities however.
E.

You're not saying MTStuff needs help with their website are you E. There's no-one comes close to that one, try Walthers when you don't know the exact part number, or any of the others to know how much of anything you're interested in, they've got in stock. I have to be desperate for something to go searching anywhere else.

I'm back in a poor mode and so acquisition of anything will be few and far between, making the holder will get me one far sooner than purchasing one will. I have the wood, the padding and the hardware, just have to smack it together.

I've heard to not use oils because over time it will get down on rails - just like in real life. And that makes sense.
I use a spot (about half the size of a pin head) of Lebelle's #106 white grease. I think it's a Teflon base but don't know without looking.
Same grease I use inside my engines on the gears. Same stuff I used back in my old days when I was rebuilding engines all the time.
In the last year of being back in the craft/hobby I've messed with 2 engines at level - just to quiet them down. A little #106 on the gears did the trick. The engines I got from Terry have never been in need of quieting. Them jokers are stealthy quiet. Even the cats don't hear them.
E.

E
Oil on rails is not necessarily a bad thing. I like using small amounts of ATF to clean tracks and stop flickering headlights. Some other folks like Wahl clipper oil for the same reason. In combination with all metal wheels, m u tracks stay clean!

The clipper oil is very high on the list, I know the owner of a salon and can maybe get it there.

Good Morning all. It is 34 degrees with absolutely no wind...a rarity here, going up to near 60 again today. Ten day forecast shows more of the same, 35-65, with no rain. We're generally in the mid-60's on Christmas day...generally.

New Guy - I don't use any lubricant on my freight cars and they run just fine. Of course with my large switching layout and quantity of cars (800+), most of them probably only get 4-6 running hours each in a year. Locos (80) are a different story, they get 6-8 hours a month. I imagine folks that do continuous running might need some over time. I have been told that the Kadee product "Grease-em", which is a graphite powder, works well for plastic trucks and axle ends, although I have not used it myself.

Burlington Bob - Congratulations on your efforts.

Logandsawman - That's a sweet log cabin, who makes it? It's just what I need for a remote back corner of my layout.

Random question - If pro is good and con is bad, progress is good and what does that mean about congress?

Willie

Good morning all. Heat Wave. Stating the day off at 38 degrees with a high expected into the 40's.

Bob- congrats on passing the test and the new addition to the clan.

Karl - good photo. Moose but no squirrel ??? I will have to admit that the BL-2's won't win a beauty contest. Picked one up tears ago and practiced a custom paint job on it.

Misc trains 021.jpg Misc trains 022.jpg

Guess you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

New Guy - The only thing that I lubricate on freight equipment is the Kadee couplers, with a graphite powder, similar to what is used in locks. I have freight cars that have been running on my layout for well over 25 years. The wheels were changed over to metal wheels, but I have never needed to lubricate them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a tube of 'greas-em' in my hand and I am going to drop it in the trash! It's graphite GLITTER CHIPS not powder! Goes EVERYWHERE but where you want it!

LOL! Good point! "Badgress" is much more apt.

I was telling an old friend about my layout project and he was looking less than interested.
imagesnot intotrains.jpgSome people just don't get it!

E
Oil on rails is not necessarily a bad thing. I like using small amounts of ATF to clean tracks and stop flickering headlights. Some other folks like Wahl clipper oil for the same reason. In combination with all metal wheels, m u tracks stay clean!

I have seen that ATF trick but thought it was a hoax to sucker newbs into gooping up their layouts!

Back