Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

Good evening. The appointment was-- productive.
Everything is now sitting in my house.
Supposedly, the computer didn't hold the mail like it should, and our local mailman had all of our stuff in a box in his truck. He was delivering it as I was chatting with the postmaster. He said he knew we had been having problems with our mail, and waited until he saw our travel trailer parked in the driveway before he personally handed the box to my wife.
I will refrain for speculating, but I am getting a PO box. I have talked to Paypal about my mail situation, and they will allow a PO box as a confirmed address for me. Paypal has been the only reason until now I haven't gotten one, and have all my stuff sent there.

Ken .... We heard from a niece who lives in Baltimore area it was stormy. That cloud is quite something.
Karl ... I meant to tell you I am impressed with your work on the 2-8-0 ... Keep posting those progress reports.
Curt... Thanks for commenting. Gloves may be a good idea, It takes while to wash hands when I am done weathering. .... I see In Trains Magazine that Orlando is getting commuter rail.
Eric ... Those lights look first class. Who is the manufacturer?
Terry .... PO boxes are good until an eBay seller wants to ship UPS. ... We did have a package taken several years ago. We talked with both the PostMaster and with the Sheriff. Circumstances were not like yours, but we thought it could have been a postal employee. When the pack was recovered, we learned it was not taken by a postal employee.

Garry:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LQS12-10pcs...723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cec0b3323

Those are the new double-head ones I got with the one dud.

These are the single headed ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LQS08-20pcs...812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cebfd1634

They come from China so they take a while to get here in the States.
Here is a pic of the current ones. I think I have a night pic somewhere.
P5030026.JPG

Hey Eric,

The layout is looking good and yep, it has been awhile - too long in fact.

Roger that. Hell, I got to worry about you Brother/Mate!
I've posted some youtube videos and apparently that makes my own channel. I have no idea really. I'll to look it up.
Maybe some of these Mates can find the link.

Reckon you might want to come down for a visit? One of the other fellers CJCresent has been over here a couple times. He's loaded with information he wants to pass on. Even DCC'd one of my old locos just to show me how.

I'll try to find my youtube channel link. Only 4 or 5 I think.
Email me. I've lost your email.
E.

Here Tony:
MY youtube channel [Ididn't I had]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-dlyJXXa1YLcsBg2UzdudQ

Pics on Photobucket....nah.... I just post my pics here.
I built a helo pad as well. Still have worked out in my head how to build another flashing circuit.
Yes, I'm building minor circuits now..... just like in my teenage days.
I'm still trying to figure where, or should I build my mountain.

Come have a beer Mate. We'll dam sure blow the froth of couple.
E.

Vid looks great mate and nice to see you got the DCC stuff figured out as well. :)

Thanks. I didnt' go public with the one where I was flying the helo into the room. That didnt' work out so well. Too much cussing came afterwards.

Come see me Mate!!
E.

Good Late evening Ballast tampers & spike pounders,
It's now 10:50 Pm, at around 7:20 Pm I decided it was time to do some grocery shopping as I was out of bread and V-8 Tropical Splash I cut with cold water to make thirst quenching drink. So off I go the eleven miles up to Oakhurst and then turn Left on Hwy 49 and within a about a quarter of a mile I turn right and go a little way to the Grocery Discount Store. By the time I decided I'd packed my cart with enough stuff and went check-out counter I had a bill of $139.00. Oh well, at least it will last me for some time and most was good wholesome food.

On the washing machine I managed to find that the cold water hose has a very slight drip to it so I fashioned a long type of trough out of Aluminum flashing to put under it as that's what was getting the floor wet. As far a the belt adjustment that was a piece of cake as it only involved loosing a 9/16" nut and moving the motor & sheave so the belt was reasonably tight as it went around the sheave.

Unfortunately though the washer doesn't want to spin the laundry fairly dry so I have to hand wring it out.

Good morning to all.

Speaking of David Bradley garden tractors .. My father had one of those as well. He lost it, as well as a powered reel lawnmower, when the garage, tool shed, storage shed mysteriously burned down when we were away.

That was unfortunate Sherrel, they were a good little tractor with variable speed just by moving a lever to adjust the diameter of the sheave. A rather interesting design.

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: BNCOM
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 5:00 PM
Subject: USPS - Holdmail Confirmation

USPS.com home. The profile of an eagle's head adjoining the words United States Postal Service are the two elements that are combined to form the corporate signature.
Sign In | Order History | Track Your Shipment | Customer Service

Your hold mail request May 22 - June 1, 2015
You have requested Hold Mail Service for 05/22/2015. Keep your confirmation number handy in case you need to edit or cancel this request.

If your mail is currently being held, it can not be cancelled. But you can still change the end date.
Edit or cancel this request
Edit or cancel another hold mail request
Create a new hold mail request

Hold Mail Details

Confirmation Number: CAH2136886

Hold Mail for...
Xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxxd
WINSTON SALEM, NC 27106-2614

Phone: (336)xxx-xxxx

Email: COM

Hold Mail start date:
05/22/2015

End date:
06/01/2015

Delivery option:
Post Office delivers accumulated mail.

Additional instructions:

USPS.com | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Confidentiality Disclaimer

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

Terry I'm also glad your wife is doing ok, I was wondering about if you suffered any flooding that you mentioned before?

As far as the Post Office error you seem to have them nailed to the wall as it seems all the documentation is there! What can they say but it was their error and they need to compensate you for your loses.

Good Evening gang!

Oh heck David! I almost chocked on my diet Dew when that big blurry pic of Jeffrey popped up, I thought my puter was haunted!! :eek: But I too miss Jeffrey. I sold a undec Varney F3 on ebay recently..part of me wanted to keep it and decorate it for the L&A. :(

Also installed new driver springs in the 2-8-0 to replace the ones that were smooshed flat. Now the suspension actually works!!:cool: Now to get the rest of the un-needed weight out of the boiler!
View attachment 50242View attachment 50243View attachment 50244View attachment 50245

Well, my spousal unit is telling me its time for bed,,,,later gators!

Sorry for the scare seeing Jeffrey, just wanted the newer members to see who the dinner is named after.

As far as the brass loco your working on, it appears that you have more than enough removed at this time. The little bit extra will just give it better traction. It looks like you have 95% of it cleaned out.

David ... That would be something if the old tractor still runs.

Below are six hopper cars I just weathered over the weekend. Weathering is such a messy job.

6%20hopper%20cars%20_zpsxxkmjuti.jpg

It did run as Dad replaced the motor on it as the old motor quit and no-one could get it going again? We used it a while after the old motor was replaced. Then Dad took ill again and passed away the beginning of 1989. That's when I decided I needed a larger tractor to handle the work load more efficiently. Actually we both had been looking at them.

Good evening. 70*F with scattered T-storms in central MD. Here is a pic I snapped on my cell phone as I was climbing into my truck to drive home from work:

MiniThunderHead.jpg

How's that for selective compression? That thunder cloud can't be any more than a mile in diameter, yet it's capable of producing lightning. Wish I could have kept that streetlight fixture out of the upper-right edge of the photo, but this was the only way I could fit the entire cloud in the shot.

Nothing new for me in the mrr realm today, other than I just placed an Amazon order for the B&O Color Guide to Freight & Passenger Equipment. I figured I better grab myself a copy before it, too, becomes a Collectors Item; I got a slightly-used copy for $33.00.

Say Ken, Sometimes in doing photography various objects enter the shot and there is litle we can do about it if we can't reposition ourselves and it sounds like that was a bit of a touchy situation anyway.

I hope all have a good day today as it now 12:20 Am

Put a trail-cam on that mailbox and see what comes along...
That was suggested by co-worker. There just happens to be tree directly behind the mailbox. A deer camera costs about what a PO box does for a year. So, do I want to pay the money to esure nothing gets stolen, or have pictures of the thief, rather than the item?

Good morning all. A nice hot cup of coffee is needed this morning.

Terry - Glad that you didn't lose anything. Where I live, we don't get mail delivers, only PO Boxes. Sometimes I can be a pain, but for the most part I've never had a problem. The only thing I have to do when purchasing something is to find out how an item is shipped or with certain bills. I do have to let them know that we don't receive mail at our physical address. For UPS or FedEx delivery, they will of course have to have the physical address. Hope you're breathing easier.

Eric - Nice photo. Looks like you are making improvements all of the time.

Garry - Again, you always submit great photos. Sure would like to have the time to get into the train room.

Over the weekend we managed to tear out old flooring from the living and dining room and kitchen. The new flooring is down in these areas. I have a stack of baseboards that have to be replaced in these rooms and next weekend we will hopefully get flooring finished in the laundry area and a last hall way. Mom has all of her new kitchen appliances working. She happy which is good for everyone. I think I am going to have a professional come in and remodel both of the bathrooms. I can do the work, but I sure would like to get them done and out of the way. They have the tools necessary for cutting tile. This is one area I am lacking in the proper tools.

Still trying to catch up with posts that I missed when I was out of town. I also had to go into work to straighten out the mess that was made while I was gone. No working from home for a while.

To all, have a good day. ... Is that something Toot would say?? G-day?

Good morning, we have 50 and sunny. We will have a pleasant week, if not a bit cool. Sounds line easterly tending winds, which brings us that cool Lake Superior air. It is welcome during sweltering heat, but this time of year a bit warmer is ok.

Eric - Nice photo. Looks like you are making improvements all of the time.

That old yard photo? I've posted that one before.
I haven't done much top-side in a while - except for the passenger car work last week. I tried to run them last night. That didn't work out so well.
Perhaps it's time to bust up the consist and run some regular trains.
Of course I'd better write down all my settings for this one. Those 2 engines have running together for some couple of months now.

In the mean time, I've watched a few videos on weathering. I've never done it before. I finally got some red earth paint and finished off the sand facility shack and painted the sand bin.
P6020030.JPG

I'm thinking to "dirty" up the sand bin based on something I watched yesterday. A little black paint mixed heavy on the thinner and just brush it onto it. Seems to me more like an "antique wash" effect - which would be fine for this. I'm not trying to do the exhaust vents on my engines or anything. I'm not that brave nor do I have the cahones for that.

Need some advice on some lighting for my "bench area".

Now that I have the J back, and rebuilt, I think I'm going to offer it for sale. It's a duplicate, most people only need one of a particular road number. This one is the museum version of the 611, and has a brand new motor, decoder, circuit boards smoke unit, tether cable, basically they jacked up the shell and installed a new locomotive under it.
I ran it for about 15 minutes on my home layout to make sure everything works like it should. Anybody here interested before I peddle it to the masses?

Dam it. I wasn't done with that post yet.
Need some advice on lighting.
P6020031.JPG
That's where I do most of my stuff now. Some stuff I'll do here in the living room. That's an old drafting table raised up most of the way. About 40" high so I'm normally just using it as a "standing desk". The chair on the right (now covered in electronic stuff) used to be used to drive trains - Carey has used it. Now I just find myself standing for everything unless I'm under the deck doing some wiring stuff.

Anyway, like yesterday when I was soldering and wiring all those new lamps up at that spot, it wasn't very well lit at all. The only light in the room is from 2 bulbs in an overhead ceiling light which is behind when I'm working there. What I need is something like a light on an articulating arm I can hook to something like that drafting table for fine work.
I don't really want to use a fluorescent drop light from the ceiling... on 2 accounts:
1) my landlord might not like it hanging stuff from the ceiling
2) it'll change the lighting effect when I'm doing stuff like painting.

Any ideas anyone?
How about my musings on ballast? Seems I shouldn't wait to get that ride to the LHS. Been near about 6 months and still no ride.
I'm thinking to go with the fine for my HO. I heard the rule of thumb was to imagine a single rock of it in a scale figure's hand.
I'll just go ahead and order some online. I'm not so worried about color - I can always change or adapt that later if needed. Medium gray is fine for now.
How much would I need for 80' of track and some yardage area? A gallon?
How much glue? Half-gallon of Elmer's type white stuff for dilution?

What I really need is to have one of you "scenery guys" come spend a day and give me some landscaping advice.
Also what I need is one of those mini-frigs for the train room. This going up and the down the stairs for a beer gets old. ;)

What say yee?
E

Back