Wiring Organization

How do you keep your wiring neat and tidy and manageable?

Mine always looks like a rats nest by the time I am finished with it :(
Not the easiest of jobs, depending on how you do your wiring, cable ties are one way, or you can buy cable clips that stick or screw under your board.

Not the easiest of jobs, depending on how you do your wiring, cable ties are one way, or you can buy cable clips that stick or screw under your board.
I use cable clips on my layout, still a rats nest though!
PXL_20230514_110042363.jpg

I use cable clips on my layout, still a rats nest though!View attachment 168301
Mine's the same, the only way that I can see is to have an aux power line down the Centerline of the board and use choc blocks to connect your ancillary equipment.

What I would suggest is that where you have two cables twist them together so they look like a single cable, I've started doing that now by connecting one end and then using a cordless drill to twist the wires together.

Mine's the same, the only way that I can see is to have an aux power line down the Centerline of the board and use choc blocks to connect your ancillary equipment.

What I would suggest is that where you have two cables twist them together so they look like a single cable, I've started doing that now by connecting one end and then using a cordless drill to twist the wires together.
I used to twist wires together but had a very unfortunate incident at an exhibition where quite a large section of wiring was ripped out by the cables being caught on something, so now I keep the wires separate so the damage would be much less if it was snagged. I will be replacing the screw terminals with clip fit connections before this goes on the exhibition circuit in November.

I do need to tidy it up a bit though!

My 2,000 square foot basement empire prolly has at least 5 miles of wiring to it, keeping things somewhat organized has long since passed. My double track mainline is parsed into power blocks so the signal system will work. All turnouts are linked to DS64s or SE8C boards. The entire layout is signal controlled and then there are many illuminated buildings.
I developed a wiring schematic while I was building it years ago, so troubleshooting isn't too difficult. It's all hidden from view behind facia on the front of the layout.

I needed something to hold wire ... imagine that. Since ima cheap, I cut 1 1/4 pvc into 2" chunks, then a slot on the top so you can expand it and put wire in. Screw hole about 90 degrees from that slot. When attached, pull down ( or forward, depending ) and put your wire in it. Easy to get whatever wire out also.

Later

I've never seen those before, Smudge. I like them, though! I use something similar, I just thread the wire through while I'm installing it.
I think the clip's are easier, especially if you need to either replace or want to add new cabling as they obviously just slip in from the top rather than trying to thread the cable through the clips you already have in place.

Back