Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

OK Jim,

Just let me know. You might want to pm me the address you want the money order sent to instead of posting it in the thread. Thanks, Johnny.

I had a little time to throw at the diorama today. I decided to put in a receiving dock for shipping/receiving of parts or whatever may be needed by the show.

I scraped together pieces from the wood bin and came up with this. Needs to be finished staining/weathering, but it'll serve my purpose.

99.jpg

Another view.

98.jpg

While waiting for a little more progress on the current project, thought I'd throw in a couple shots from an outdoor diorama I built a couple years back. All about the pics....

RippTrakShops014.jpg

Sun beaten elephant car.

RippTrakShops008.jpg

RippTrakShops015.jpg

It's like I'm actually there, amongst the equiptment, just walking about. The summer breeze, the crunch of the gravel lot, the bright sun making me cover my brow as I search for some shade. I'm sweating because it's hot out and the dust is gritty on my kneck.......... Great work Johnny.

If you still want any of the accessories (all Id want really is the heavy weight car and maybe the accessories box and flat cars, you could have the animal car/cage things) it would be about $5.15 shipping priority mail to 53704

I may start getting some of the stuff soon.

If you still want any of the accessories (all Id want really is the heavy weight car and maybe the accessories box and flat cars, you could have the animal car/cage things) it would be about $5.15 shipping priority mail to 53704

I may start getting some of the stuff soon.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, but I think I'm good right now. If you pick them up, you may want to try and model a small circus scene. Just sayin' ;)

Sorry it took a while to get the current track plan. Here is a quickly done plan showing the property. Diorama is 2 ft deep X 12 feet long. In the upper right hand corner I omitted an old depot and abandoned interlocking tower in the listed buildings...Also, the animal barns across from the office and paint shops are not shown pending final placement.

Untitled.png

very cool, and I may do a small circus scene with them, as for the track plan, very cool, ill look into using them on my layout! very good work!!

Starting today Wisconsin is going to humidity mode. I love it, air-conditioning and a great excuse to get some modeling in! I've gotten a lot more scenery done and will post pics in the next few days....

I shot some quick photos to demonstrate how the diorama is looking.

This view shows the yard ballasted, the loading dock is painted/weathered and details are being placed. There will be a boom crane installed on the unloading dock for heavy lifting.

13-2.jpg

17-2.jpg

Here is how the flat loading area is shaping up. I'm going to remove the rock up to it and sculptomold earth into the flat deck. Doing this because I don't like the size of the rock, too large.

15-2.jpg

Flats ready for loading.

14-3.jpg

I installed fencing alongside a car storage track. This view shows the more active tracks of the yard...

16-2.jpg

That is looking very good Johnny.
This has been a great thread, particularly all the back ground info and old pictures.

These photographs are all credited to noted circus historian Bob Cline and credit goes to him.

This is at Baraboo a few years back. This and the other pics are what I am striving for. A somewhat neglected use of the property. Not quite the museum stage, but damn close....

100_1305.jpg

2-2.jpg

BobClinephoto2006-3.jpg

Credits for all pictures in the post go to original photographer. These photos gathered from public sites.

With that said, let's look at some equipment from the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Combined shows, post war.

Here is an ex-Army hospital car tagged to the rear of a passenger train. These cars traveled approx. 2 weeks in front of the shows and were the homes and offices for the advance crew. They were loaded with posters and other 'paper' that the show used for publicity. Some shows (Ringling had up to three at one time), had more than one. This is car no.1.

ad1.jpg

Here, it is being spotted on a siding. The lettering for this car changed quite often.

ad2.jpg

I think I forgot to mention 'tunnel' cars. These were cars that were hollowed out to carry wagons and motorized equipment. The cars were gutted and loaded like flatcars. At this point in the history of Ringling Bros., the show no longer played under canvas(tents), rather in indoor arenas.

img485.jpg

Although special wagons were designed for use with these cars, they were often a logistical nightmare. As is easier to see in this view, the cars had to be almost perfectly level to each other for loading and unloading. This required addition jacking of car ends depending on the terrain at hand.

img494.jpg

This is certainly one of the most interesting threads and the background info is awesome. Did they have to fit removeable cross bracing to those gutted cars during transportation because the lack of stiffness would surely have been a problem?

This is certainly one of the most interesting threads and the background info is awesome. Did they have to fit removeable cross bracing to those gutted cars during transportation because the lack of stiffness would surely have been a problem?

No, actually the frames were reinforced to the strength needed. This type of car has been associated with many shows. Early(1900's) to present. The ice capades used to use this for their shows, mostly when they were using their own zamboni vehicles. The ex-army hospital cars were really heavy duty (floors/chassis) in construction. The ends were only covered with a drop down canvas when in route like the one pictured above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure these shops will turn out my new train. This 'new' train is a fictional railroad show from the early 40's thru mid 50's. Maybe a 20-25 car show. All in design stages. Open for input...

AASCOBSa.png

Also, used a design I rearranged a bit for my use...

1.png

Back