Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

Happy Mother's Day.

Some HO circus models I've built.

Human cannonball truck(Walther's resin). The name most recognized with this type of act is usually "Zacchini" an act that through the generations has had continued success to this day.

images7.jpg

278.jpg

280.jpg

This is a Walthers's resin air calliope that has been combined with a Roco military truck. This was a fantasy build but would represent the circus having obtained through surplus equipment after the war. This vehicle was used in the parades and could be found on the midway as well.

603.jpg

604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Intresting this was brought up. Ive been searching tonight for a website that was selling carnival/circus concession stands and a link to your other thread from 2010 came up in the search. But I see a new fresh thread on this has been done. I love threads like this.

By the way, anyone know who makes these concessions stands like this? They used to be all over ebay in several varieties for around 24 bucks. But now I cant find the people whom made it or the dealer that sells it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221006701727?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I just happened to come across a couple of manufacturers of what you are looking for. One of them I believe is the maker of the ones on ebay and the other look similar.

http://modeltechstudios.com/www.modeltechstudios.com-6.aspx

http://rahmodels.com/major_rides.htm

Hope this helps. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming with our host Johnny...!

Thanks Eric great find. I do believe that is what he was looking for. Great looking stuff.

Should have some update pictures on the diorama in the next couple of days.

I just happened to come across a couple of manufacturers of what you are looking for. One of them I believe is the maker of the ones on ebay and the other look similar.

http://modeltechstudios.com/www.modeltechstudios.com-6.aspx

http://rahmodels.com/major_rides.htm

Hope this helps. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming with our host Johnny...!

Thanks Eric great find. I do believe that is what he was looking for. Great looking stuff.

Should have some update pictures on the diorama in the next couple of days.

Yup. Exactly what I was looking for and then some. I couldnt for the life of me remember where I had seen though, Model Tech Studios. Thats what it was. Im just glad to see they are still available. Little spendy but they do look good for that carnival midway area.

Wow. This is intresting. This RAH models is out of Brooklyn Park, MN. Which I also happened to live in Brooklyn Park as well. I never even knew this guy even existed.

If I could save time in a bottle......

With 2 new grandsons, and the summer season of garden/yard maintenance, hobby time is a premium. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

One thing I wanted as a goal to this diorama, was for it to look busy in a mechanical sort of way. So the animal barns have been moved away from this section of diorama. In it's place, I will have a heavy repair shop for the circus vehicles; trucks, wagons, and support vehicles. I will be using this heavily damaged former truck shop from the old diorama. The end has been ripped off from a little rough handling and storage from my last move. But, I will attempt to bring it a new lease.

28.jpg

31.jpg

13-1.jpg

I did manage to get some ground cover down on the flat repair/storage/loading track. I'm trying to capture a look of hardly any visible ballast and weeds and grasses overtaking the less used tracks. It is down using the alcohol/water/white glue as the fixative.

16-1.jpg

17-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

The flatcar loading area is in position and beginning to receive the neglected except for once a year use.

14-2.jpg

12.jpg

15-1.jpg

So, as of today this is where I'm at with winterquarters. Today the boy's room get's paint, tomorrow, putting up shelves for
their Lionel trains. Slow, but steady as she goes.....

Hey Johnny, have any updates for us followers? Looks like it is coming together well!

Little bit of progress Eric. I've got some sculptomold down and ready for sanding and paint. This will be where the road runs past the property. I have also been slowly adding some more ground cover. I am sorry about not keeping more up to date, but we have out of town family here until the end of week. I'll try and get some shots before then.

Well, I figure if it's too hot to work outside and, after all, it is Father's Day, I'd take some shots of what's going on at the winterquarters.

Stuff is in place for these pics. Most of the buildings need some attention and others need lot's.

New-Out99993_99992.jpg

The shops/work area is coming along nicely. Took me a while to decide on
the actual layout of things here.

New-Out99986_99985.jpg

Materials receiving building.

New-Out99988_99987.jpg

Kind of an overview looking towards paint shops and yard ladder.

New-Out99992_99991.jpg

North end of storage sheds.

New-Out99994_99993.jpg

The storage tracks will be heavily overgrown. More layering to be done.

New-Out99997_99996.jpg

And this view looks southeast towards the car sheds.

New-Out99999_99998.jpg

So that's what's done as of today. Now back to work on it.

nice work, if you want, i have a lead on a circus train, (part of one,with the heavyweight car) for your circus train, if you want it I can go see how much it will be and get it for you if you want it, not sure if it will still be around tho since it was used, but it its still around ill put it on hold and if you want it its yours...

Thanks Jim. If it is still available shoot me a price. Not really in need of anything, but always looking. Thank you.

ok cool, will do :) one thing id love to see possibly is an aerial view of your entire layout, this might be something I want to replicate seeing as my layout space is going to be most likely on the small size so this layout may be what I want to try as a first :) if your ok with me using your layout as a template to start with.

hey I got your pictures each piece is about $6.00 and there is about 5 or so pieces, the car is about $9.00 all prices are figureing in tax, ill post pictures later

here are the pics, I have the whole box on hold for you, all I need to know is if you want them and which ones along wiht the money for them so i can get them for ya. Enjoy!!

061912152549.jpg

061912152557.jpg

061912152602.jpg

061912152608.jpg

061912152651.jpg

061912153034.jpg

061912153054.jpg

Hope you like them!!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the pics. If I took the whole box, what would shipping be to 53704 zipcode. I'm looking to spend $40.00 or less including shipping. The items pictured are pretty common at sales and go for about that. Let me know, I can send a USPS money order for them if we strike a deal.

Still 'layering' stuff in and trying to photograph as I go.

Found an old cast set of fencing in a junk box. I think once the additional details and ground cover are in, it will look nice.

New-Out99999_99998-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

***JIM***(Midnught Special)

Although buildings have gotten moved around a bit, these should give you an idea of the track plan, which has remained the same.

8-1.jpg

094.jpg

Feel free to do whatever you wish. If you want to use anything I post here, the reason I posted has been fulfilled. To share.

Wow, things are coming together well, you do great work Johnny! Cant wait to see the yard full of cars on winter break. I really like the look of the overgrown track next to the car sheds. Looking forward to seeing the future progress.

Progress on my train is moving right along. Finished tearing down the 5 new sleepers as well as the 5 I had completed. I decided to do a fresh coat of paint on all of them, just waiting for the lounge observation to get here to give me a grand total of 11 coaches. Im also chasing a lead on some decals for the coaches, hopefully it pans out.

I would say for the box minus the track cleaner car and model T about $20 shipping extra $10 I would think, will try to tally the cost and charge you exactly what it is plus a small extra to cover shipping

Back