Which DCC Operating System Do You Use and Why Did You Choose It?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Sort of a survey with commentary. Which DCC operating system did you choose and why?

I use Digitrax and did at first find the system a bit confusing with hexi-decimal for CV values and some limited programming with the earlier throttles. But, now all the confusion and complexities of the Digitrax system is behind us with the new throttle series and much easier programing.

So which system do you use? Share you opinions with the forum.

Thanks.

Greg

I use Digitrax. It was what my local, now closed, LHS sold eleven years ago. No regrets, it has been scrupulously reliable. One complaint about Digitrax is that it isn't a very intuitive system to learn, and that the manual is of little help. I didn't find that at all, but then I am highly literate, an educator, and very determined to get everything I can out of something.

The fact is that all systems are very good. Every one of them. They just have varying form factors, and some can be expanded and upgraded by the manufacturers for a few dollars plus return postage. Digitrax has the vaunted and fully expandable LocoNet.

Sometimes it's the look of the throttle, or how it feels in the hand, or how the buttons are arranged and displayed, how big the LCD display is on the throttle, how things hook up, and so on. It can be the power output to the rails. For larger layouts with multiple locomotives running concurrently, if DCC/sound, you'll need at least 3 amps, but most would want 5 amps. You'll have to get the system that can handle that and that can supply it. Not all do. Some go much higher in amperage output, and that would be useful for large layouts with multiple users.

Don't overlook Lenz, Roco, EasyDCC (CVP), Bachmann's Dynamis, MRC,...

I started out with Digitrax back in the mid 1990s. I got so invested in it, I couldn't just dump it and try another system.
My empire now consists of three power block systems with one command station and two DB200s boosters. Digitrax BDL168s, PM42 power managements, SE8C boards in each district and a few DS54s to handle additional turnout motors. Several DT402Rs, a DT500, DT100s and UT4D controllers. Then there are a couple of DB150s sitting on the shelf as backup.

Lenz. My only complaint is the lack of a real radio throttle.

Captain of Industry
President of the Lancaster Central RR

Checked both Digitrax and NCE. Settled on the NCE system because I really liked the ergonomics of the throttle unit and the single-handed operation with the thumb-wheel and I also found it more intuitive and user-friendly for my needs....I also really liked the expandable Power-cab starter concept as an easy way to get my layout up and running quickly and simply.

After many years I replaced my old Bachman EZ with a NCE Procab. So far i'm pretty happy with my choice, especially the wireless cab.

Sort of a survey with commentary. Which DCC operating system did you choose and why?

So which system do you use? Share you opinions with the forum.
Sounds like an easy question but for me it is not... My first DCC system was an MRC-2000, because it was on a huge discount. About that same time our club decided to change from Railcommand to DCC, and they chose Lenz because we needed so much equipment and got a huge discount. We used the CVP wireless throttles and found it to be a wonderful system.

Then I wanted to play with Digitrax Equipment and purchased a Zephyr System, about that same time I got a 2nd MRC-2000 for about $10.

Then the Youth in Model railroading group decided to go with DCC and got an NCE system. So I found a Pro-Cab wireless on ebay for cheap and got it. It allowed us to learn it and have our own throttles instead of using the clubs throttles.

In 2012 I was cruising around on e-bay and stumbled across a CVP Easy-DCC system, so I bought it. About that same time NCE came out with the DCC Twin and my father had just gone into a nursing home. I bought the Twin for him to use on his hospital sized layout.

"So which system do you use?" I still use all of them except the Easy DCC. The MRC-2000s are used every Christmas for the Christmas Forests tracks. I use the Zephyr when I need something light and quick (this year it ran my office's Christmas tree layout). My father has since died, but the Twin remains on "his" layout that I use for display now an then. I consider the Lenz as my base line reference when I have DCC decoder issues. I figure since they invented DCC their system is the reference. I consider the NCE Pro-Cab to be my primary as most of the other members of the operating groups I belong to and the museum use them. It is overkill for my test loop but I got to use something. The only reason I don't use the Easy DCC more is because it is not as "modular" as the other. It more than less needs its main panel to be mounted, since I don't have a permanent layout that is just not practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
After learning of the existence of DCC when coming back to the hobby about 10-12 years ago, the first club I joined (and currently still is) was still all DC, which was OK for then. I started to look into DCC and decided if ever I got a layout of my own, especially after gaining a bit more experience with the complexities of DC block operation, that was what I would use. While the electronics side of it was still a mystery, I could see the advantages re wiring and realism offered, particularly with multi loco/train operation. After looking at the specs of the different systems available and reading comments (such as these) online, I decided on NCE. I had the opportunity to go whole hog with the Pro-Cab-R 5amp system, so did so.

NCE Power Cab. It was inexpensive, had essentially no learning curve, and it is obsolete-proof. It's currently all I need for my small layout, but it can be used as part of a larger NCE system if my layout ever grows.

- Jeff

I use two DCC systems. Digitrax and MRC Prodigy2. I use Digitrax when I am doing a Free-Mo group hook up and at several OPS layouts I participate in. My choice for my home layout Is the MRC Prodigy2. I prefer the Prodigy2 way more than Digitrax. The Prodigy2 hand held is much more comfortable and easier to operate. The Prodigy2 is way more entuative and the reference manual is much more clear. When I use both systems they are wireless which seem to have somewhat the same performance.
Wayne

This was a no brainer for me. The local club I joined was using Digitrax so I went with that. I can run on the module layout with the guys anytime and I have local support I can call if I need help. I think it has all I ever could want or need so I don't ever spending the money to change and have no reason to.

Dave

Digitrax .. but I really don't remember how or why. I ordered it online and have been building and expanding it for the 5+ yrs I've been back into trains. I now have have the basic unit plus some UP5's, DS64's, and PR3Xtra. I have two handheld throttles but very seldom use them since I'm limited to three trains with them while the JMRI throttles interface allows me access to as many as I want.

After hours of research I decide the NCE deluxe Pro cab with the DCC twin as my power supply was best for me.

In reality I have yet to build a permanent layout so I have been using my Bachmann EZ DCC command controller for my Christmas layout. it is simple to use and my grandsons appreciate that. They have no problem running trains by themselves and have been doing so every Christmas since they were 4 yeas old.

After I move I will build a permanent HO layout and I look forward to running the NCE system. From the little I have used, it I love it! I will use the Bachmann system for my N scale layout.

I just ordered a Z21 from Rocco. It will be my first experience with DCC, so I hope it is a good one. I like the tablet interface for running the layout as well as the menus for programming Locos, and stationary decoders.

Back