Where have I been all this time?

Olie

Hello all. I've just recently discovered the amazing world of model railroading. I mean truly discovered. For years I had seen layouts and trains. My grandparents had an old set around the Christmas tree. Never really paid too much attention until this past Christmas. I'm active duty military and the wife and I were at Post Exchange. I saw the Lionel Polar Express G Scale set and thought, "That would be cool around the tree. Reminds me of grandma's house". That was the bite that infected me. I started looking online and holy cow, this is huge! My wife has a collection of Hallmark Nostalgic Houses and Shops and, you'll never guess that is scaled around HO train sets! Fast forward to mid February and I have already shown the late stages of addiction. Of course I purchased the Polar Express set (HO Scale). I needed a layout. Where to put it? Designed a layout for the wife's collection but that will take a while getting her to jump in. I needed something now!! We have vaulted ceilings on our living room so I started thinking about a wall mounted ceiling track. Needless to say, several weeks, too much money and a lot of time, I now have the shelf installed and two tracks encircling my living room. I will post up some pics soon.

I apologize for the long-winded intro but felt it was necessary as "Hello, I'm Olie and I'm addicted to model railroading" was too bland.

I look forward to absorbing as much info as I can as I never just dip my toes in. It's all or nothing (drives the wife CRAZY).

Edit: I've tried to upload pics but for some reason it rejects them. Maybe because I'm new. I will get some up tho.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Olie welcome aboard!
It's not too late you can still get out now before your credit card starts melting!
Then again, planes crash and boats sink, so maybe trains ain't so bad?
It might take a bit to post pics but we'd love to see them when you can.
See you around!

Huh? My original post disappeared after I added pictures. Did I do something wrong?

no you're OK, the Spam filter caught you

Last edited by a moderator:
Olie - Someone said on another "new" members that it takes a little while soes the site does not think your a spammer!
Just keep making a post somewhere - without pictures - for a little while and it will sort out.
Welcome to the club!

Ah, the infamous spam filter. Anyway, I was able to start an album and upload some pics there. I'll keep posting and hopefully I'll get out of internet jail!

Welcome to the madness! :) Lots of great advice and people here. Ask any question you may have and you'll get an answer for sure!

As for pictures, I use a third party hosting site rather that the boards albums for most of my picture. But that's mainly because I tend to post a TON of pictures in my posts. Saves a bit of bandwidth for the boards. ;)

Welcome aboard Olie you can continue posting photos, Bob or myself will OK them, the software has to get a profile on you when that happens you'll have little or no trouble, however links to commercial sites are usually treated with suspicion especially if they have been used before. It's complex but it works well.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. CBCNSfan, anyway I can get my original post back?

Olie - You are welcome to join the insanity over at Jeffrey's Diner better known as The Coffee Shop!

So, here's a test of the pictures. I spent today rewiring the ceiling track as I didn't like the wires underneath. They are all hidden now and look much better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Olie,

Welcome aboard and it does take a few posts before you can post pics but never fear, you are near.

If you have any questions (and there are NO stupid ones) remember to post them in the topic specific forum so you can get the most coverage for your question/s.

Other than that, enjoy it and have fun!

Well, I guess I'm still on lock down. If I post anything other than text, it gets moderated and is in limbo until a moderator approves. Been a couple of days for some of my posts........getting a bit annoying.

Olie! Like I said ..h. Just make lots of comments on various threads whether you are interested or not just to get your post count up. you are still only showing 6 posts.
Stick your nose in the Coffee Shop and quote every ones posts with: HI, THERE - OLIE HERE SAYING HI!
or somethig like that.

Build up your post count!

More cars.jpg
OK, here goes nothing! Took this pic tonight after throwing up some cheapo LEDs and adding the Polar Express cars to the PRR. After cleaning up the wiring and a little back lighting, the track is starting to come together. The wife is working on some background murals to put up as well. Man this hobby is addictive!

Yep - that worked and you have an around the ceiling layout - neat! Might want to start a thread in the Layout and Design Thread about your work - would be good to see.

Yep - that worked and you have an around the ceiling layout - neat! Might want to start a thread in the Layout and Design Thread about your work - would be good to see.

wombat457,

DONE!

Looks like you can post pictures now. That Led lighting is a really good effect!
Thanks. We like the look but the picture doesn't show what is actually seen. The LED strip used is an old cheapo. Each LED can be seen on the wall. There are 3 different LEDs, red, green and blue. For solid colors, only that LED will light. They are spaced far enough apart to cast shadows between them. The new strips I'm looking at are 1 LED for 4 colors, red, green, blue and white. They are only 4mm apart so that should keep the light pattern solid. The vaulted ceiling does look pretty cool with the colored lights tho. Oh the joys of tweaking the layout!!

OK, here goes nothing! Took this pic tonight after throwing up some cheapo LEDs and adding the Polar Express cars to the PRR. After cleaning up the wiring and a little back lighting, the track is starting to come together. Man this hobby is addictive!
Inspirational. Every few years we do a Christmas Forest display for our local communities. I never thought about putting a train around the top of the room. The way that looks might be a good addition. I've ordered the Lionel "scale" Polar Express train. Now you've got me thinking I need one in HO scale as well. So far as I know no one makes it yet, so I might have to start looking for decals and blank car bodies....

Back